joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn I saw your back yard pic in the NNE thread, sad sight up there although the mountain looked pretty sweet, how did it ski today?

Skied better than expected...although it was like a late March type of day.  Winter at the upper elevations with 2" of new wet snow, and then soft, corn snow in the sun on the lower mountain.  Shaded areas and north facing were firm though straight to the bottom.  Exactly like a spring-type day where the snow never softens in the shade but gets a little mushy in the sun. 

As far as MBY, I told you back in early January that it would look ugly coming up ;)  But the more I think about it, the more amazed I am that the backyard has only lost 6" of snow depth in the past two weeks, with like 5 rainstorms.  We may not have the CAD of NH/ME but I'm impressed with going from 8" to 2" through this whole ordeal east of the Spine. 

I think its clear the GFS is out to sea with the storm still for the 22nd, NAM came in further west with the coastal for 18-19th, and is south with the clipper for the 20th.  I think one of these miller B systems cranks at our longitude, its just a matter of getting the right disturbance to go negative.  Obviously the +PNA ridge gives us a better chance at getting something from a miller B, but right now there is nothing in the Atlantic stopping this storm from being progressive.

dude he is calling for hundreds of deaths and billion dollar disaster similar to a major hurricane, a little over the top?

He didn't do that, did he?

Not really. The impression I got is that he think the cold will be so extreme that energy costs will skyrocket, thus hurting the economy. He didn't say anything about hundreds of deaths.

Not really. The impression I got is that he think the cold will be so extreme that energy costs will skyrocket, thus hurting the economy. He didn't say anything about hundreds of deaths.

I mean I expect JB to be a bit over the top...but all I was saying is this time I can sort of see him hyping the cold for good reason. Not just the actual ensmeble cold temperatures, but the teleconnections and analog patterns support the possibility of extreme cold as well.

The exact magnitude is still in question. We might not match the stuff earlier this month in the midwest/OH Valley/Plains...but it wouldn't shock me if we did either. And this stuff might actually have a bit of staying power too. I wouldn't rule out multiple acrtic shots.

JB going absolutely nuts on twitter about the Euro Ens and the cold, he is wound up tighter than PF on a rainy day.

Lol meanwhile he last predicted a major winter storm (a bomb to use his words) for this week (week of the 12th) for "somewhere from the midwest to the northeast". Even with the vaguest prediction, and he's still wrong.

BigJoeBastardi: I believe when totaled up, the economic impact of cold from Jan 20-Feb 5 on the US will be the winter equal of a major hurricane hit on US"

Archived