EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter has been a wonderful illustration of the benefits of living east of the Green mts, thus being able to avail of CAD in the retention of snow cover.

A pattern laden with +pps n of ME coupled swith some late developers produces quite the dichotomy between the two regions.

I'm surprised east of the Spine here we've been able to maintain something frozen on the ground...the issue was more that we didn't have the snow to begin with (ie depth never exceeded 8" here vs the 20"+ achieved in parts of NH). I have no doubt I would still have relatively deep solid cover if we didn't start this thaw period with only 6-8" but instead 20-22".

They definitely still retain better, but even that we still have something on the ground even if it's a frozen lake on top of ice, I don't doubt if we got in on the Dec snows that we'd have a much different tune.

But that's how seasons go too....a few hits or misses can make or break your opinion on the winter.

Did you forget last year?

All we heard was "same ol' same ol'" when we got into late January and early February about storm chances. Its a persistent behavior on here. You get a week or two of snowless weather and all of the sudden the "trendy" thing to post is how nothing will develop and the pattern is now repeating past years where it didn't snow.

But whatever, I'll stick the probabilistic side of things for now. That is what you do in LR forecasting

I don't doubt the season at all...I just dread going through a period of frigid and dry because I know that we will.

Hate that, but you can't escape it if you want a good winter.

I was all over last season's back loaded orgy.

I'm surprised east of the Spine here we've been able to maintain something frozen on the ground...the issue was more that we didn't have the snow to begin with (ie depth never exceeded 8" here vs the 20"+ achieved in parts of NH). I have no doubt I would still have relatively deep solid cover if we didn't start this thaw period with only 6-8" but instead 20-22".

They definitely still retain better, but even that we still have something on the ground even if it's a frozen lake on top of ice, I don't doubt if we got in on the Dec snows that we'd have a much different tune.

But that's how seasons go too....a few hits or misses can make or break your opinion on the winter.

JUJU for all the wishing for canal cutters, regression to the mean is a biatch

Well, I was speaking of the state in general.

Obviously there are regions such as the NE Kingdom, and the Champlain valley owed to the CAD displayed in the icing event.

The underlying point was that with the lack of blocking, cold's longevity has been relatively highly dependent upon CAD.

Well, I was speaking of the state in general.

Obviously there are regions such as the NE Kingdom, and the Champlain valley owed to the CAD displayed in the icing event.

The underlying point was that with the lack of blocking, cold's longevity has been relatively highly dependent upon CAD.

Yeah certainly that's true. I was just saying if we had developed a 20" depth prior, no one would be going as crazy as they are. There's a big bon fire this week to burn old skis for Ullr, hopefully that'll turn the worm.

I mean I can't imagine there are too many winters where the weenie heaven of Coles Pond at 2,300ft in eastern VT has 6" on the ground in mid-January while the lakes region in NH is sitting on 8-10".

VT will get their snow and eventualy I will aim my nuclear missles at the tiny town of Stowe once again. Probably this year in March when it's 35 and raining at my house. You guys will catch up.

Yeah it'll happen. I don't doubt that. I just don't know if I see it in the next couple weeks.

You think there's any chance of that trough axis retrograding west a bit through time? I still think this looks great for you guys right now with the trough position...Ginxy to BOS miller B threats with the current upper air progs.

Would be nice to get any blocking too...obviously the concern if the trough goes west a bit is cutters. But if there was any semblance of a block we could work with a further west axis.

Yeah certainly that's true. I was just saying if we had developed a 20" depth prior, no one would be going as crazy as they are. There's a big bon fire this week to burn old skis for Ullr, hopefully that'll turn the worm.

I mean I can't imagine there are too many winters where the weenie heaven of Coles Pond at 2,300ft in eastern VT has 6" on the ground in mid-January while the lakes region in NH is sitting on 8-10".

Yea, which is also owed to the lack of blocking because had there been any morsel of it, that first brigade of systems would not have been ene centric events.

Irony is that you guys always condone patterns with no blocking so that you will get nailed at the expense of the us here on the cp, however this time it worked against you because the progressivityof the flow worked in conjunction with the position of the mean trough to ensure that you smoked cirrus, as opposed to a victory cigar.

It all evens out.

Yeah it'll happen. I don't doubt that. I just don't know if I see it in the next couple weeks.

You think there's any chance of that trough axis retrograding west a bit through time? I still think this looks great for you guys right now with the trough position...Ginxy to BOS miller B threats with the current upper air progs.

Would be nice to get any blocking too...obviously the concern if the trough goes west a bit is cutters. But if there was any semblance of a block we could work with a further west axis.

Well the GFS starts the fun for you this weekend.

The ridging and trough axis do look to shift west a bit so I think it bodes better for you down the road. It may take time, but I think you will catch up. Maybe I am wrong, but just my gut.

Yea, which is also owed to the lack of blocking because had there been any morsel of it, that first brigade of systems would not have been ene centric events.

Irony is that you guys always condone patterns with no blocking so that you will get nailed at the expense of the us here on the cp, however this time it worked against you because the progressivityof the flow worked in conjunction with the position of the mean trough to ensure that you smoked cirrus, as opposed to a victory cigar.

It all evens out.

I have certainly seen that irony this season, trust me I've thought of that. The fear of suppression with blocking like 2009-2010...but now this season will be the fear. It's always short term memories.

My perspective is absolutely affected by my walk this morning, through the 6-10 inches in my yard, through the woods where there were 8-14 inches on the ground.  I need to develop more empathy.  Had to wear my snowboots because it was so deep in the woods.  Kinda needed snowshoes.

Deep Deep Winter.

More incoming....

You guys , Gene, Brian, Jeff Eric etc have had a great winter, VT, not so much. Genes post in the NNE thread with the contrasting pictures of NH and VT says it all

not sure I'd call our winter" great". 33" so far is decent but not great imo. Doesn't much matter atm with the snow melt though.

Archived