amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has been consistent with the dry period, have to say it has done well even PFs 1-3 rainstorms came true(even though he disavowed them and got violently angry at CPick and I for busting his balls) lol

A truncated GFS is never going to show much with a pattern for clipper deals. This will eventually turn into more Plains sytle systems as the whole thing retros. Probably by late month.

For those who somehow have to see a modeled storm on a day 12 prog, this isn't really the pattern to fit that. Personally, what I like is the propensity for models to show systems that may be coming out of the Plains towards the end of the month. You can see the potential in this by looping the various GFS runs and seeing storms coming out of the Plains and developig off the East Coast.

It seems to me that everything is essentially going to be modeled as a 1-3" clipper, and some will verify as moderate events, some won't.

GFS trouncing the Euro in the mid range in this pattern.   Euro may have gotten the MRF upgrade back in November will all those phantom storms it keeps modeling.

At one point or another the Euro had most of the east coast under a winter threat this week into the weekend.  Whoops.

Tough pattern for snow lovers up N NW.   Ended up being much more damaging than many were indicating.  Resorts closed, open resorts kind of empty, lots of lowland businesses suffering.  Tough, tough stretch and I don't see it ending with regards to snow anytime soon...at least not for the next week or 12 days synoptically.  May be the end of the month as the pattern begins to shift/break down before we can really do much.

:whistle: cmon lets whip them while they are down

It seems to me that everything is essentially going to be modeled as a 1-3" clipper, and some will verify as moderate events, some won't.

Yeah I think so, Ray.  Of course if the 06z GEFS happened with ruler flow...I think some may head for the granite massif of Mt Mansfield...but I'm just going by what I feel may happen. As everything retros and heights try to lower out west..I can envision systems ejecting out of the Plains towards the end of the month. That's my guess.

They were due for a bit of a screwjie. I rememeber powderfreak and I were talking last year or so about some horrific winters there between 1950-1990 that seem a lot less common in recent years.

Still, they'll get their feet of snow upcoming. There's a lot of winter left.

Yeah I remember talking about that with you....seeing these low years that aren't really comprehendible given what the mean has seen in the past like 15-20 years. Even the COOP's snow depth plots have for the most part been above to well above (ie depths of like 90" in March when the mean is 70") and at the ski area, a bunch of us newbies (say past ten years) have been wondering what a true below normal winter would be like with like depths maxing at 55" or something instead of like the 8 feet we've gotten jaded with.

Bing Crosby type winters were not so uncommon thats why I wondered if the numbers they think are normal are jaded because of the recent prolific run.

Yes & no.  I was young but I remember back to the mid/late 70s and certainly the 80s.  We had some good years but we had some boney ones too. 

I grew up in both NH & VT though.  I'm a little bit 603, a little bit 802 and no stranger to boiler plate. ;)

Sounds like the VT depression crowd has you too.

Hell no, just playing, I am as confidant as you are that spilt flow develops and the last week of Jan and first week of Feb are pretty damn good. Before that even I think the GFS is way too dry for the VT crew. I would bring the cows in from the grazing green grass fields of VT before this weekend.

Archived