SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still feel like its status quo with some exceptions. It seems like we will still have a negative EPO, but also the PNA may try to flip positive as well. The PV will shift east and the cold may as well, especially with a positive PNA. So it may be that coldest anomalies are in the Great Lakes and northeast. It's also more favorable for Miller Bs potentially. We still see a semblance of a SE ridge so SWFE will be possible if this persists. All in all I like the pattern.

I still feel like its status quo with some exceptions. It seems like we will still have a negative EPO, but also the PNA may try to flip positive as well. The PV will shift east and the cold may as well, especially with a positive PNA. So it may be that coldest anomalies are in the Great Lakes and northeast. It's also more favorable for Miller Bs potentially. We still see a semblance of a SE ridge so SWFE will be possible if this persists. All in all I like the pattern.

looks like some chances for storms for sure as we head into january in the northeast. EPO looks to remain the one constant and if we get some timed with a storm we'll be in business....stay tuned

-EPO/+NAO seems to be the dominant feature going forward into early January.

As Scott said, there are some periods where the PNA look to go positive...but it looks variable on that front. Fast flow and lack of downstream blocking in the Atlantic will keep most of our snow threats as SWFEs and clippers/redevelopers. If we get lucky, we can get one to dig enough to to perhaps turn into a fast moving Miller B (the clipper the other night almost achieved this), but we are lacking a slow blocked up pattern on our side of the oceans so coastal storms won't be the feature presentation.

-EPO/+NAO seems to be the dominant feature going forward into early January.

As Scott said, there are some periods where the PNA look to go positive...but it looks variable on that front. Fast flow and lack of downstream blocking in the Atlantic will keep most of our snow threats as SWFEs and clippers/redevelopers. If we get lucky, we can get one to dig enough to to perhaps turn into a fast moving Miller B (the clipper the other night almost achieved this), but we are lacking a slow blocked up pattern on our side of the oceans so coastal storms won't be the feature presentation.

Leon esque.

The 06z GEFS are awesome looking. It looks to me the EC is still falling into its bias of flattening out the -EPO.  Despite that, the signal is still there even on the EC ensembles. The tropical signal still is strong in Indonesia and may get a push east. Those two cyclones in the IO may skew the RMM plots so when those die, we may see the RMM plots move more east. Paul Roundy's stat guidance looks to keep things in a more favorable spot between 135E and near the dateline. Until a whole-scale hemispheric pattern change is underway, I think its persistence FTW.

The 06z GEFS are awesome looking. It looks to me the EC is still falling into its bias of flattening out the -EPO.  Despite that, the signal is still there even on the EC ensembles. The tropical signal still is strong in Indonesia and may get a push east. Those two cyclones in the IO may skew the RMM plots so when those die, we may see the RMM plots move more east. Paul Roundy's stat guidance looks to keep things in a more favorable spot between 135E and near the dateline. Until a whole-scale hemispheric pattern change is underway, I think its persistence FTW.

Very well may be the revenge of NE MA.

Regression is a b*tch....then we rain.

It seems to me that the variance between Kev and I is established in a pretty definitive manner. What I mean by that is that when I beat him, I BEAT him.....I have greater potential, but the frequency at which he wins is greater.

I can really trounce him when there is a latidudnal gradient.....conerversely, his elevation and greater distance from the ocean are somewhat offset by the difference in latitude,  but its still great enough that he will often edge me out late in the game, when elevation becomes more crucial.

Funny how two spots can have similar averages, yet get there different ways.

It seems to me that the variance between Kev and I is established in a pretty definitive manner. What I mean by that is that when I beat him, I BEAT him.....I have greater potential, but the frequency at which he wins is greater.

I can really trounce him when there is a latidudnal gradient.....conerversely, his elevation and greater distance from the ocean are somewhat offset by the difference in latitude,  but its still great enough that he will often edge me out late in the game, when elevation becomes more crucial.

Pretty much. He really needs the early and late season events that are a 1k festivus.

So thats what its all about, beating Kev, too funny. Get out and play in it.

Exactly but to each his own I guess.

Exactly but to each his own I guess.

Something was obviously lost on the two of you because all I was doing was analyzing the respective microclimates.

The rivalry thing is all in good fun...take a deep breath.

Archived