Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pre Xmas storm

mahk_webstah

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30.7 here.  I see ALB has slipped to 30.  But it's 60 degrees about 25 miles to the south.  LOL

Incredible gradients around here.

I'm about 30 miles west of you.

We are on a hill at about 1650 feet.  We have no "protection" in terms of obstruction to S/SW winds and typically torch on southwest flow.

It has been a steady 59 here since I woke up 3 hours ago.

Snowpack is a distant memory.

30.7 here. I see ALB has slipped to 30. But it's 60 degrees about 25 miles to the south. LOL

A weather station in Voorhheesville is recording 32F and one right down the road in Berne shows 67F. Insane low level cold draining down the HV. Sounding shows about 200m of cold air. Cool stuff.

Down in the Village is much worse than the higher elevations...seeing lots of FB posts of trees breaking in peoples' yards, but mostly from the Champlain Valley.

What I think may be happening in Stowe too is that in July we had a 60-7mph straight line wind storm that knocked power out for 2-3 days and leveled trees. Normally a 1/3" of ice wouldn't cause this type of issues but I think we've got a lot of weakened stuff coming down.

In BTV there were quite a few wind events this summer that are actually helping things right now. The summer T-storms actually took down much of the dead or weak trees. I don't see much damage right now. Though we're close to some very bad things happening if the wind picks up as everything has about .5 inches of ice on it and is about as bent as it gets. 

One saving grace is that sleet improved early morning road conditions...on plowed roads. Unplowed stuff is a basically impassable due to the fact that it is a solid 3 inches of ice and sleet mixture. Like driving on barely breakable sand with ice underneath. Woof. 

In BTV there were quite a few wind events this summer that are actually helping things right now. The summer T-storms actually took down much of the dead or weak trees. I don't see much damage right now. Though we're close to some very bad things happening if the wind picks up as everything has about .5 inches of ice on it and is about as bent as it gets.

One saving grace is that sleet improved early morning road conditions...on plowed roads. Unplowed stuff is a basically impassable due to the fact that it is a solid 3 inches of ice and sleet mixture. Like driving on barely breakable sand with ice underneath. Woof.

Funny thing is that you can tell the cars coming from the Champlain Valley because they all have a couple inches of sleet on them from last night. Here we had nothing but ZR, so no new white on cars, but some of these driving through Stowe have like 2-3" of white accumulation on them. Usually it's the other way around...people from here drive to BTV with snow while nothing happened in BTV, lol.

Archived