joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - December 2013 Part III

PennMan

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at 50s this weekend, white Christmas hopes are fading quick!

On the road playing Santa with clients today and having been thru Harrisburg selinsgrove lewisburg Williamsport and now headed back south I think you have the best shot at a white Christmas up there. Hopefully the warmup is muted as some suggest.

Nut.

I do not remember the details of the event, but down here in Harrisburg, we had 2" of snow last year on Christmas eve. And then we had another 2" on December 26.

in the late afternoon of 12-24-12 it started to snow and snow for a couple hours, all said and done 2" then on 12-26-12 we got 2.5" more. there was some sleet with the 12-26 event!

post-1291-0-60763100-1387310493_thumb.jp

Been ages since we've had a white Christmas...looks like upper 40s-low 50s for 3 days will sink this one too.

Hate looking at that nice 10" or so snowpack out there and knowing it's going to probably get nearly taken out later this weekend. Was hoping the initial wave would progress the frontal boundary quickly and only end up with a day or two in the 40s to near 50 but it appears that the boundary stalls and allows the second and much stronger storm to head up into the Lower Lakes. GFS has alot of heavy rain and the Euro has us in the warm sector Sunday with 60+ temps (upper 60s at MDT!). Just a tremendous surge of warmth progged by the Euro. GFS not quite to that level but it's enough, and it has a lot more rain. So with all of that said, have to have some concern about potential flooding issues when that second storm slices up into the lakes Sunday. 

Models seem to agree that this warm up ends at some point within the first half of Monday when the front finally crosses and reestablishes colder weather. From there our colder regime looks to resume where it left off but the few days up to Christmas look quiet so we likely won't have much snow if any to show for the holiday this year. Also noteworthy in today's crazy Euro run was how cold it was over alot of the country at hour 240, with a 1056+ high residing in the Northern Plains.

I do not remember the details of the event, but down here in Harrisburg, we had 2" of snow last year on Christmas eve. And then we had another 2" on December 26. 

This was one of my favorite snow events. We had friends from Sydney visiting and they'd never seen snow in their lives. We took them to a Target parking lot to drive around in it so they could see the tire tracks and slide a little bit.

Hate looking at that nice 10" or so snowpack out there and knowing it's going to probably get nearly taken out later this weekend. Was hoping the initial wave would progress the frontal boundary quickly and only end up with a day or two in the 40s to near 50 but it appears that the boundary stalls and allows the second and much stronger storm to head up into the Lower Lakes. GFS has alot of heavy rain and the Euro has us in the warm sector Sunday with 60+ temps (upper 60s at MDT!). Just a tremendous surge of warmth progged by the Euro. GFS not quite to that level but it's enough, and it has a lot more rain. So with all of that said, have to have some concern about potential flooding issues when that second storm slices up into the lakes Sunday. 

Models seem to agree that this warm up ends at some point within the first half of Monday when the front finally crosses and reestablishes colder weather. From there our colder regime looks to resume where it left off but the few days up to Christmas look quiet so we likely won't have much snow if any to show for the holiday this year. Also noteworthy in today's crazy Euro run was how cold it was over alot of the country at hour 240, with a 1056+ high residing in the Northern Plains.

That's a really nice snowstorm look on day 10, too. 

Thought you guys would appreciate 3-4 inches per hour rates I got on video on Sunday, along with some thunder-snow on video.

Here is the video of the snow chase. Huge fan of Frank Sinatra, hope you guys are to. Enjoy! ^_^

I caught the thunder snow twice, here is the separate video just for that. We also had some insane wind gusts when the band was drifting south at the tail end of it. Had to be over 40 MPH which caused some insane blowing and drifting.

Thought you guys would appreciate 3-4 inches per hour rates I got on video on Sunday, along with some thunder-snow on video.

Here is the video of the snow chase. Huge fan of Frank Sinatra, hope you guys are to. Enjoy! ^_^

I caught the thunder snow twice, here is the separate video just for that. We also had some insane wind gusts when the band was drifting south at the tail end of it. Had to be over 40 MPH which caused some insane blowing and drifting.

Cool videos.. Thanks for sharing.

Is it me or is there something on your wipers?

Archived