• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - December 2013 Part III

PennMan

41 here. It went from 37 to 50 in 30 seconds when we drove over a ridge into State College today. Really holds onto cold around here. Probably will finally break it tonight, but still cold air dammed.

It's 39 here, and 51 in Altoona. Fog's ridiculous.

Also, you know this is a serious warm shot when you see this in the disco:

TEMPERATURES SUNDAY...BOTH AT THE SURFACE AND 850 MB...ROCKET

INTO +2 TO +3 SD RANGE. TEMPERATURES AT *850 MB* WILL APPROACH

THE RECORD *SURFACE* HIGHS FOR THE DATE. WE CONTINUE TO EXPECT

+25F TO +30F DEPARTURES FROM NORMAL OVER SOUTHEAST PA...WITH HIGHS

IN THE U50S ACROSS THE NORTH AND LOWER TO MID 60S ACROSS MUCH OF

THE CENTRAL AND SOUTH.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALEET!  ALEET!  ALEET!

Well...well...well...I'll be dammed!  Cold-air variety that is...lol.

Here's my point-and-click right now for tonight:

Overnight: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a steady temperature around 58. South wind 11 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Currently I'm sitting at 40.5 degrees!  Someone call NWS right away.  There's an 18-degree bust on their low going on here at the moment.   :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

(Of course I do realize that when the winds pick up [with the warm front?] that I will go sky-rocketing upward.  Just wonder how deep into the night I'll get before that happens?

Stay tuned!

Fianlly warmed up. When I went to bed it was 37 degrees, and when I woke up it was, and still is, 60 degrees on the nose. One surprise, since I wasn't paying close attention, is the Severe Thunderstorm Watch for this morning. Checking out radar, there is a broken squall line currently moving across the state.

Ok, serious question here. For most of this "torch" that we've been having, parts of Central PA have struggled to warm. I understand inversions and CAD and all that, but what has made it so persistant, and why is it actually returning to some extent on this temperature loop from CTP? I made it up to 60 for about two hours and have now fallen back to 48 degrees.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/analysis/temp_loop.htm

post-317-0-87862300-1387720570_thumb.jpg

We're at 40.4, are you warm yet? Most of the snow is gone, gobbled up by the fog monster.

Yea we busted into the warmth overnight, car thermometer was 55 here and fell to 47 down in Bellwood (couple hundred feet lower than here) when I went into town about an hour ago. That's surprising your still that cold. 

Ok, serious question here. For most of this "torch" that we've been having, parts of Central PA have struggled to warm. I understand inversions and CAD and all that, but what has made it so persistant, and why is it actually returning to some extent on this temperature loop from CTP? I made it up to 60 for about two hours and have now fallen back to 48 degrees.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/analysis/temp_loop.htm

attachicon.gif20131222_3956.jpg

I had the same thing in Maryland.  I think it's the fact that we have coldish ground that was offset by ample sunshine and a warm air mass advecting into the region.  Once the sun set the air could only get so warm on southerly winds.

Archived