joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - December 2013 Part III

PennMan

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully more down around the Mason-Dixon Line. I would do almost anything for a February 5th-6th 2010 type of gradient.

You need to grow up. I actually defended you a few weeks ago, which I now realize was foolish. Wishing for others to get screwed at your expense is pretty pathetic. Either that or you're just looking to incite people which is even worse. You are an embarrassment to our thread and have upset some really good people. I'm sure you're proud.

No more about you, what a beautiful day! Currently 52.7 on my daughter's new weather station and my wife and I just returned from throwing frisbee at the park.

I'm sorry I forgot about state college area. I was thinking in terms of New York City and those points northeast, not Central PA . I admit I get enjoyment when PA gets snow and New York City up through coastal Maine misses out. Always at least to me seems that we miss out as in all of us in this forum for those areas I mentioned to not only cash in but get hammered. So sorry to stir this forum up I should have worded my post differently. Would love for myself and the central PA vicinity to get smoked and the confluence screw New England! So sorry once again after I reread my post I can see why everybody hates me.

You need to grow up. I actually defended you a few weeks ago, which I now realize was foolish. Wishing for others to get screwed at your expense is pretty pathetic. Either that or you're just looking to incite people which is even worse. You are an embarrassment to our thread and have upset some really good people. I'm sure you're proud.

No more about you, what a beautiful day! Currently 52.7 on my daughter's new weather station and my wife and I just returned from throwing frisbee at the park.

Don't turn this into our subforum, please. :)

This place is my respite when it gets too nuts over there, which I'm sure is forthcoming soon with the 1/2 threat.

So what was everyone's high and low today? For me it was 52/18. Indeed a pretty amazing swing!

Hi Voyager.  At least I will answer your question.  (I tend to feel the same way you do sometimes.)

My high today was 56.3 and my low was 20.1 for a diurnal range of 36.2 degrees.  The most impressive days are those that record 40+ - degree diurnals.  Similarly, also the most impressive are those with the smallest diurnals.  Those tend to occur in the wintertime when there is a good snowpack but the air is super-moist and it remains overcast all day long.  I have recorded a diurnal of less than 2.0 degrees F on several occasions.  I think I remember during last winter that I recorded a diurnal of 1.3 degrees for the entire calendar day!

-Files elaboration request on 0z ECM-

For my very selfish purposes I hope the 50-50 low feature stays around longer so the NYC area can have a chance at a redevelopment in time to not obliterate us. For you though the Euro shows the primary making it to perhaps PIT (maybe more towards HGR, I only see the E-wall maps) so interior PA looks a lot better. But still quite a ways to go, wouldn't get hung up on any solution yet. GFS is still strung out and mostly out to sea, which is where I would want it at this juncture.

Hi Voyager.  At least I will answer your question.  (I tend to feel the same way you do sometimes.)

My high today was 56.3 and my low was 20.1 for a diurnal range of 36.2 degrees.  The most impressive days are those that record 40+ - degree diurnals.  Similarly, also the most impressive are those with the smallest diurnals.  Those tend to occur in the wintertime when there is a good snowpack but the air is super-moist and it remains overcast all day long.  I have recorded a diurnal of less than 2.0 degrees F on several occasions.  I think I remember during last winter that I recorded a diurnal of 1.3 degrees for the entire calendar day!

The only +40 diurnal range that I can remeber was a 44 degree one way back in the late 70's/early 80's. We went from a morning low of 34 to afternoon high of 78. I'll admit that, while equally impressive, I've never really paid attention to the smallest diurnals.

NeffsvileWX a "smut", u don't even know me. I reposted for everybody who took offense to what I said. It was a special storm for those near the Mason-Dixon Line, I wasn't thinking in terms of screwing true central pa but places in New England. But whatever SMUT coming from somebody I don't know really has no bearing on me. So once again I'm sorry for hurting the feelings for those who I may have ticked off. HNY

I now see what you meant in your original post that I, and some others, took offense to. Thing is, when it comes to snowstorms, my wish is for EVERYONE to be able to enjoy the event. That means no tight gradients. Sure, someone somewhere is going to miss out just by virtue of their proximity to the storm, but I'd like to see everyone from I-95 to far inland Central PA cash in. Believe me, and Jamie can argue this if he wants, but there is a "painful" aspect to watching a storm bury someone nearby while you remain nearly high and dry.

I've never had a problem with being on the warm side of a storm and getting rain, nor have I had a problem with southern sliders, or those ones that graze the shore. The storm that you referenced though was one that I'll remember until the day I die. I followed it on the forums, and watched the radar loops all day. The posts about it pouring snow were cool, and I figured we'd get into that as the storm got closer, but it never happened. All day long, heavy bands of snow progressed northward and just ran into a brick wall of dry air, and were eaten alive right around I-78. We ended up with very light snow that gave us about 3 inches.

That in and of itself is ok, but the potential was there for much more, and I "think" we were actually forecasted to get 8-12 with that one as late as the morning it began.

Pretty heavy rain falling currently. CCX radar showing some big time bright banding very close to the radar site. Dual pol products suggestive of some flakes getting to the ground along the ridge above Jamie (near Philipsburg to Snow Shoe) as well as northeast of State College near Bellefonte. With the radar loop can also note some progession of the low CC values towards the radar site from the southwest, meaning the melting layer is getting lower. Def a borderline situation this morning. 

post-1507-0-70647300-1388328232_thumb.pn

Pretty heavy rain falling currently. CCX radar showing some big time bright banding very close to the radar site. Dual pol products suggestive of some flakes getting to the ground along the ridge above Jamie (near Philipsburg to Snow Shoe) as well as northeast of State College near Bellefonte. With the radar loop can also note some progession of the low CC values towards the radar site from the southwest, meaning the melting layer is getting lower. Def a borderline situation this morning. 

attachicon.gif12-29ccx.png

All wet so far in Bellefonte. I'll be keeping my eye out for flakes when the next heavier band moves in. Might take a drive up 504 towards the radar site to see what's happening up there in an hour or so.

Big flakes mixing in Williamsport. Is it suppose to get warmer or colder at 850 as event goes on?

850s should generally fall as this event progesses and the low develops, so if your already seeing flakes that might be a good sign. The trick in this situation is getting the lowest levels (925 to the surface) cold enough for the snow to completely take over and do something in the accumulation department. The precip coming up def has the rates to help cool the column.

Archived