joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - December 2013 Part III

PennMan

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a problem with a graphic on Facebook showing the "greatest odds for a major or crippling storm". That's simply hype at this point and irresponsible to put it out there. Sorry just had to vent and get that off

My chest.

Agree 100% Jim. If you want a real laugh though, you should read the public comments that follow.

They also have rain/snow for State College (and a high of 32F...). I think they just haven't put a lot of thought into the grids just yet. :P

I noticed that, too, and was quite confused considering what the forecaster said in the AFD.  

I can't get past their horrible website. Looks like it was done by a 10 year old on acid back in 1997.

Thank you!  I am glad that I am not the only one who has noticed that.  

Out to hr 48, the 00z NAM looks like a minor improvement over the 18z NAM. Guessing it'll still be a big miss in the end, though.

21z SREFs hold steady from the 15z runs.

EDIT: Actually at hr 51, the 00z NAM is looking more interesting. The structure of the low is suggestive of at least some precip moving over us as the low develops.

NAM is on. 0.25+ for all, 0.50+ across the entire northern 1/3rd.

Yea def a big step on that model, although note what the 850 track over PA does to the heavy snowfall/QPF axis focusing on nothern Penn and southern NY. 3 inch line along roughly the I-70 corridor in western Penn and then the turnpike across the rest of the state. 6 inch line generally runs I-80. 8-12 in the far northern tier for places like Bradford, Mansfield, Port Jervis, etc. 

Yea def a big step on that model, although note what the 850 track over PA does to the heavy snowfall/QPF axis focusing on nothern Penn and southern NY. 3 inch line along roughly the I-70 corridor in western Penn and then the turnpike across the rest of the state. 6 inch line generally runs I-80. 8-12 in the far northern tier for places like Bradford, Mansfield, Port Jervis, etc. 

Well that sounds reasonable given the precip numbers I suppose.

Euro took away the bigger snow but leaves us with an advisory level event.

Had a feeling that the EURO would come back to earth with what most of the other models are showing. Probably more of a reasonable solution at this time. Still time for things to change a little. The Pittsburgh area could get shafted a bit if the low tracks right over us and phases too late, so we'd have a dry slot to probably deal with as well. At least you guys should get a little more further east. 

0z models just went ahead and did exactly that :axe:

Yea that's the danger of having a single model with the deep solution, even if it was the Euro. I still think we at least see some snowfall from the overrunning that develops. The worst model I saw for that was the CMC which rode the majority of the initial overrunning north and west.. leaving us pretty high and dry. Rest of the models at least has that going, and that includes the NAVGEM and UKMET. Someone in the New England thread had a screen shot of the UKMET earlier with total precip thru 72 hrs and it looked like a few tenths for alot of central PA. Need another model cycle (6,12,18,0z) to have a much better determination on what's going to happen.

Second storm is definitely still on the Euro, can't really get too detailed cuz still on text data. But looks like a mix-rain to heavy snow deal with a lot of QPF. Canadian had this type of a storm as well. 

Wow lol, that is one heck of a second storm on the Euro, runs from the spine of the Apps in eastern Tenn into central VA (988mb) and explosively deepens to a 976 low along the PA/NJ border (hr 162). Curls NNW and is 960mb on the St Lawrence.... and bottoms out at a whopping 952mb as it moves north. Looked like a pretty prolific snowstorm in western/central Penn and western NY. Eastern Penn would actually be dealing with warmer air and possibly a good bit of rain before a changeover. New England doesn't see much at all with the low tracking like it does. But yea we'll see about that.

The storm slated for Thursday didn't really look all that bad for us on the Euro once I had a look at the maps, it's still probably the best for snowfall. Generally 3 inches or so for most of Penn. 

Archived