Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & The Fringes - December 2013 Part III

PennMan

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I now see what you meant in your original post that I, and some others, took offense to. Thing is, when it comes to snowstorms, my wish is for EVERYONE to be able to enjoy the event. That means no tight gradients. Sure, someone somewhere is going to miss out just by virtue of their proximity to the storm, but I'd like to see everyone from I-95 to far inland Central PA cash in. Believe me, and Jamie can argue this if he wants, but there is a "painful" aspect to watching a storm bury someone nearby while you remain nearly high and dry.

I've never had a problem with being on the warm side of a storm and getting rain, nor have I had a problem with southern sliders, or those ones that graze the shore. The storm that you referenced though was one that I'll remember until the day I die. I followed it on the forums, and watched the radar loops all day. The posts about it pouring snow were cool, and I figured we'd get into that as the storm got closer, but it never happened. All day long, heavy bands of snow progressed northward and just ran into a brick wall of dry air, and were eaten alive right around I-78. We ended up with very light snow that gave us about 3 inches.

That in and of itself is ok, but the potential was there for much more, and I "think" we were actually forecasted to get 8-12 with that one as late as the morning it began.

Good man using the quotes around painful; that tells me you don't really find it painful. I'd question anyone's backbone who would consider missing snow as painful, and by question, I mean whether they would have one. I save painful for describing real trauma. That said, I agree, its' always better when all sees snow.

Good man using the quotes around painful; that tells me you don't really find it painful. I'd question anyone's backbone who would consider missing snow as painful, and by question, I mean whether they would have one. I save painful for describing real trauma. That said, I agree, its' always better when all sees snow.

Yup. By "painful" I mean slightly frustrating or, to use an 80's term, a bummer...

Yeah. We were 8 last week when UNV was 29. Also, during the warmup, we didn't go above 50 until about 10:30 last Sunday, were 37 while UNV was 55. That's why I'm very skeptical of multi-day warmups on models for my backyard during the winter.

Sure, makes sense.  Seems like there's been a lot of that on the extreme side so far this winter.

Temp was steady here at 39 until about 8 AM, and has started to drop.  Now at 36.3 IMBY, with the dew point now getting close to that.

Totally, dude.

LOL!!!

Back to the weather. Here in "the Skook", our temps have slowly risen from 34 when I woke to the present temp of 37. The rain so far as been light to occasionally moderate with 0.12" in the gauge so far. Sometimes I wish I lived in a location where I could get a current sounding so as to see what the temps upstairs are, but obviously, at my location and elevation, no snowflakes are to be found. I checked the future radar on my phone weather app, and it indicates we may see a few flakes as the precip is departing the area.

Trends looking bad for us lately on the 1/2-1/3 event. Looks like the northern stream vort doesn't want to dig enough and the coastal pops too far north for the majority of this forum. SNE looks to do well though.

I wouldn't call it a trend yet as we're still pretty far out in time, and the models will do their usual flip-flops between now and then.

I wouldn't call it a trend yet as we're still pretty far out in time, and the models will do their usual flip-flops between now and then.

I would it's been a pretty discernible move towards less digging and a farther north secondary for quite a few runs now. That said I agree with you that there is still some time for it to move the other way but if we aren't seeing any movement by tomorrow evening when all the players should be sampled well I'd call this one dead.

32.6 and rain. Not gonna lie it stinks.

That is one thing I don't miss about living out in State College. The 33 and rain events were just horrendous. At least here when it rains the temp usually spikes up, It's in the mid 40s here.

There's still an opportunity for some snow to mix in as the low departs. Look at the precip over Ohio-hopefully some of that is snow, but probably the best chance is over high elevations-you're probably down in the valley as you're near IPT?

32.6 and rain. Not gonna lie it stinks.

That is one thing I don't miss about living out in State College. The 33 and rain events were just horrendous. At least here when it rains the temp usually spikes up, It's in the mid 40s here.

There's still an opportunity for some snow to mix in as the low departs. Look at the precip over Ohio-hopefully some of that is snow, but probably the best chance is over high elevations-you're probably down in the valley as you're near IPT?

Here's something that will boggle your mind and put things in perspective:

For UNV, assuming 10-1 snow ratios, more than 60% of all Dec/Jan/Feb precip falls as....rain.

Go on the climo page on CTP, take the total average precip, then the liquid equivalent of average snow assuming 10-1, divide to get the result. In DC, it's over 80%.

Archived