Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - December 2013 Part III

PennMan

orlyeuro.gif

Unbelievable!  Look at how many closed contours there are at 700 and 500.  8 closed at 700 and more amazing 5 closed at 500.  The latter truly represents an intense storm which appears to have gone negative by this timeframe.

A lot of you were eeny-weenie back in 1994.  That January produced almost everything winter is ever capable of dishing out.  Historic cold with the shattering of all-time record lows.  Multiple nights below zero F.  Harrisburg all-time low of -22F around the 20th (I cant precisely remember the date but it's +/- 1 day).  Tons of snow, but no one storm was over a foot.  Break out the Parkas and the snowsuits IF all of these predictions come true.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with others that one must set their expectations to be reasonable, BUT the fact that we are 2.5 to 3 days before the storm instead of 9 - 10 days before the storm helps one to be a bit more excited. One awesome model run does not a snowstorm make, but certainly the trends have been better. Let us see what tonight's and tomorrow's models show us. Come on Winter - bring it on. :snowing:  

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will be fun to watch, regardless if it disappears for most of Central PA or not. Tracking is better than having nothing to track, for sure.

Would be awesome if the entire region, from the border all the way up to Potter-ville (I miss him :( ) could get a plowable snow all together though.

orlyeuro.gif

Unbelievable!  Look at how many closed contours there are at 700 and 500.  8 closed at 700 and more amazing 5 closed at 500.  The latter truly represents an intense storm which appears to have gone negative by this timeframe.

A lot of you were eeny-weenie back in 1994.  That January produced almost everything winter is ever capable of dishing out.  Historic cold with the shattering of all-time record lows.  Multiple nights below zero F.  Harrisburg all-time low of -22F around the 20th (I cant precisely remember the date but it's +/- 1 day).  Tons of snow, but no one storm was over a foot.  Break out the Parkas and the snowsuits IF all of these predictions come true.

Fighting fire's during that time really sucked. Honestly, doing anything outside during that time sucked!

Someone calling themselves "eastern pa weather authority" is posting verbatim snow maps on facebook. Anyone know who it is?

They are group of mets from the Allentown area who have a rather large following. They aren't bad, but they do tend to wear snow goggles at times though, and look for anyway possible for things to be wintry.

They are group of mets from the Allentown area who have a rather large following. They aren't bad, but they do tend to wear snow goggles at times though, and look for anyway possible for things to be wintry.

Ah ok. It's weird to see mets releasing verbatim maps to the public. A public who will take it literally then flame the mets when the verbatim map is wrong, but whatever.

Here's the text accompanying the map:

***ALERT: EUROPEAN MODEL GOES NOR'EASTER ROUTE FOR THURSDAY/FRIDAY***

We are now sounding the alarms... This is a threat that we need to start taking very seriously. This is no longer a question of if a storm is coming, but rather how much. No model has anything less than 2 to 4 inches, and Euro just showed the upside potential. This is not an official call from us yet, but you need to start thinking about alternate plans for the end of this week with regard to travel. The whole idea here is to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It is not often that we use such strong working with regard to a storm potential, but this threat is only 72 to 100 hours out, and it is not often that the European model is wrong to this degree at this range. We are taking it very seriously and we recommend that all of you do as well. If the larger amounts do not work out as shown on this map, at least you were prepared for it.

Ah ok. It's weird to see mets releasing verbatim maps to the public. A public who will take it literally then flame the mets when the verbatim map is wrong, but whatever.

Here's the text accompanying the map:

The maps don't bother me as much as the text. They are implying a near doomsday type snow event, and, like you said, if it ends up being a modest 6-8 type event, then everyone looks bad. They do leave themselves an "out" at the end of the write-up, but many will never see that after reading the main part of the post. Personally, I know this storm has the POTENTIAL to be a good one, but I think it would be wise to err on the side of caution for another 24 hours.

LOL ---- My point-and-click gives me 36 degrees and RAIN on Thursday.  Reading the disco the met clearly states that it will be very cold throughout the storm.

I'm not concerned at all at this point, but where on earth did they get the rain idea from?  No model gives us rain on Thursday!

BTW---can someone post Eric Horst's disco from today?  Thx.

LOL ---- My point-and-click gives me 36 degrees and RAIN on Thursday.  Reading the disco the met clearly states that it will be very cold throughout the storm.

I'm not concerned at all at this point, but where on earth did they get the rain idea from?  No model gives us rain on Thursday!

I have rain/snow and 30...

They also have rain/snow for State College (and a high of 32F...). I think they just haven't put a lot of thought into the grids just yet. :P

The maps don't bother me as much as the text. They are implying a near doomsday type snow event, and, like you said, if it ends up being a modest 6-8 type event, then everyone looks bad. They do leave themselves an "out" at the end of the write-up, but many will never see that after reading the main part of the post. Personally, I know this storm has the POTENTIAL to be a good one, but I think it would be wise to err on the side of caution for another 24 hours.

I can't get past their horrible website. Looks like it was done by a 10 year old on acid back in 1997.

For Thursday, they have me at: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 35. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

I had a go round with them back this summer. They stated unequivocally that there was no chance of tornados during a watch. I called them out on it, the response was "we have the same degrees as the NWS". there was a tornado reported in their area that night. They are trying to be legit, but I can't help to think of them as a bunch of young kids trying to be the next DT or Accuwx.

I think we are at least looking at a general light (2-3") snowfall in PA from this system. The question being if we can see the more amped up Euro solution come to fruition and give us all a big snowfall. The Euro actually looks more to the tune of the 12z GFS, except that it is further north and a good bit deeper/wetter of course. But I like how they both got the 850 low tracking just underneath PA now which is more supportive of the best swath of snow involving everyone. 18z GFS did kinda go the way of the NAM a bit but still has that swath of a few inches of snow. Not that I'm gonna be putting my life on the 18z GFS or the NAM outside of T-6 hrs till storm time or anything haha. 

I like the look of things, the basic pieces are def there for a big northeast snowstorm. NAO/PNA teleconnections look to be nuetral-ish though, so I  think last nights Euro run with its sub 970mb bomb over Cape Cod is probably too strong, but that doesn't mean we can't still have a big storm. We're kind of in a familiar place with the GFS southeast and weak with the surface low and the Euro much stronger. Both models do develop pretty highly anomalous easterly flow at 850mb, on the order of -2 st deviations or so on the GFS in PA and more than -3 over the eastern 2/3rd of the state on the Euro. Presence of this is usually a good sign for a decent snowstorm.   

Paul Knight on Weather World earlier tonight sounded like he was concerned that by the time the storm really got going it would be past us, which would lead me to think he would believe 2-3 would be the ceiling.

That could also have been an issue of earlier taping vs model runs being later on.

Archived