Toothache
We ain't Philly, but let's observe anyway. Dec 8-9 Event Obs

moneypitmike

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get anywhere near an inch..Only 1/4 inch or so

32.0 and thick fog now

We seemed to have more as my driveway had close to 1" of ice/snow on it this morning.

I still had some sleet on my lawn from friday night, so it deeper in some spots and grass in others.

0 snow/ice OTG at work in South Windsor. Snow shows up here on the drive home above 600'

temp backing toward freezing up here in N. Mass... Mirky and drizzly.   Sky is peach/butter-scotch as it reports back some amount of nocturnal civility from below.  We had about 2" in Ayer, and enough that small piles were plowed along town roads and parking-lot ends.  Just under 33...  With enough slush and wet on these side road, the instant that thermometer touches 32 it's going to get crunchy and slick.  

temp backing toward freezing up here in N. Mass... Mirky and drizzly.   Sky is peach/butter-scotch as it reports back some amount of nocturnal civility from below.  We had about 2" in Ayer, and enough that small piles were plowed along town roads and parking-lot ends.  Just under 33...  With enough slush and wet on these side road, the instant that thermometer touches 32 it's going to get crunchy and slick.  

Do you think temps will rise tonight?

Ptype is very lift dependent right now. Any echoes coming through brings refrozen mangled flakes that come down fairly steady at times. In between echoes it's back to the FZDZ. Up to 26.6F now. We've probably added another tenth or two accumulation.

Off the main drags in Portland it is bad out there. Prolonged FZDZ has made sure it stuck to everything. My parking lot is a solid sheet of ice. When I went to park my car it slid downhill towards the ocean, and I was barely moving when I used the brake.

Off the main drags in Portland it is bad out there. Prolonged FZDZ has made sure it stuck to everything. My parking lot is a solid sheet of ice. When I went to park my car it slid downhill towards the ocean, and I was barely moving when I used the brake.

Ditto that here...my gf's car is encased in glaze. Not sure how well the ice accretion algorithms are working on the ASOSes, but DAW is up to 0.15".

Ditto that here...my gf's car is encased in glaze. Not sure how well the ice accretion algorithms are working on the ASOSes, but DAW is up to 0.15".

Seems pretty good. I mean that's for a flat surface (like a car or road), and I would guess there is about a tenth on the ground out there right now.

It suxs. I get home and the walkway, driveway is still snow-covered. The last thing I want to do is shovel or scrap. With renewed threat tomorrow and possible freeze overnight I fear that if not now I may not see pavement till next year. LOL

I standby my liking the North-shore. I'm surrounded by Conservation Land, top of a hill but yet inside Rt128... all-righty then....

On the cusp of a very active period of Wx. I was reading my KU book in detail on the train for the past week. I need to shake the cobwebs, (get real) came to the realization that I know more than I thought I did. First time in a very long time that I'm able to retain concentration and think.          

Scooter..this is not trolling, so please don't take it that way. I'm asking...

Why didn't it warm up last nite when winds went west like you guys thought it would?

It may have been colder air was deep enough near the lower levels. Temps off to the west did warm, but it may not have been enough mixing until it finally cooled aloft. Previous SWFE have warmed several degrees after storm passage....it also may have helped that the low was so anemic...we had no pressure rises and good isallobaric flow behind the low. 

It may have been colder air was deep enough near the lower levels. Temps off to the west did warm, but it may not have been enough mixing until it finally cooled aloft. Previous SWFE have warmed several degrees after storm passage....it also may have helped that the low was so anemic...we had no pressure rises and good isallobaric flow behind the low. 

I think the airmass advected in too late to really warm things up...the mixing was kind of weak as you mentioned due to very weak low pressure in this system (part of the reason we are getting a follow-up wave today).

You can tell though we no longer have the CAD airmass that yesterday had though with ORH never getting lower than 31F last night. You could see all the temps spiking off to the west in NY State with the front, but it had trouble getting over the mountains and mixing things out until really late when enough diurnal influence kept it from going to 34-35F.  

Archived