amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ice Storm Obs

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty chilly in the high country. 37 degrees with a dewpoint of 35. Temp not suppose to waver too much from that until the sun goes back down. It's going to be the dewpoint that tells the story on this one.

Currently we are waiting for the lower dew points to get pushed into our state. Looking at observations, there are lower teens dew points in eastern Ohio but dew points still in the 20s in Pittsburg. I would assume that we're looking at this air mass in eastern Ohio to be pushed more east then south towards us. How far south does it get? Do the models have a good handle on this air mass / high pressure? That's what I'm tracking today.

Two things that stick out to me here along the escarpment...BTW, I'm 56 degrees and high overcast.

There seems to be a warm bubble from Marion up through Lenoir and up to Wilkesboro where the temps are in the lower to mid 50's (from north to south). Meanwhile, everybody else in the state even down to the coast has dropped into the 40's.

The second thing and IMO the most important thing is that there is no current signs of the arctic air bleeding down the eastern slopes...dewpoints don't drop below 20 degrees until you get to Western PA and they are upper teens at that. There's not a large temp/dp depression. Even for places like Boone who will get its cold air from directly west of the mountains, there are no large dewpoint depressions over West Virginia and Kentucky.

I think the progress of our cold air over the next 6 hours could tell the story on just how bad this could be.

If North Carolina is going to receive any amount of icing, the airmass better start hauling a$$ soon.

Archived