• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Ice Storm Obs

BIG FROSTY

I got just a little bit of ice to form around the edges of my porch. If I wasn't looking for it I would miss it. But it's kind of funny to see the obs out of RDU as 33 and rain. This is truly Cold Rain today...

Yeah, just had a heavy shower move through here. No threat of ice in this part of the county though. Good day for a fire, though.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm snapping photos now just to pass time.  :P

se2u.png

I've been looking at Weather Underground and see that my old stomping ground, Floyd, VA has temps in the mid 20s. Quite a bit colder than other areas around them. I loved living there, Floyd county is a magnet for winter weather.

32 with -ZR or -RN now (not sure if it's above 32.0 or not).  The trees are all glazed up and there's a few small icicles hanging from the branches.  This is the most freezing rain I've seen in years, not that that's saying much, haha.  Looks like a Freezing Rain Advisory would have done fine here, but we got some icing, in any case.  I'm pretty close to the airport and it looks like we've had marginal freezing rain at 32F for a few hours, so it's just the elevated surfaces that have any icing.

I've been looking at Weather Underground and see that my old stomping ground, Floyd, VA has temps in the mid 20s. Quite a bit colder than other areas around them. I loved living there, Floyd county is a magnet for winter weather.

You're not kidding. They always capitalize in situations likes this. Sometimes it's been raining down here in the valley while they're getting crushed by ice.

Robert just updated on Facebook that SW VA is NOT out of the woods yet. Mentioned that the surface temps will be slow to warm through the evening.

Completely agree.  I think for you a 0.25-0.4" ice accumulation is not out of the question. Not crippling, but certainly will close some business tomorrow.

Yep this cad is staying in place much better than modeled. Furthers my belief that models always seem to scour out a cad quicker than reality

Well, it may be staying in place longer, but no precip is making it east of the mountains.  A plume of moisture is once again rising from the gulf, but it is all staying west of the mountains.  I'm now sitting at 32.6 F with no rain in sight.

Archived