• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

I literally think he is forgetting to subtract the precipitation from today. lol

In most cases I don't think you get 100% ice accretion to begin with but if you add 8" of snow he's got a big area with like 2" liquid or so which seems odd.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS is now calling for 1" snow/sleet tonight for Westminster. Currently at 38 degrees.

Tonight: Rain. Snow and sleet after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation up to 1 inch. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Yep, they've now changed mine to snow/sleet as well. I posted the other day about tonight being an outside chance even if remote. I still think it remote. If anything I would think it might be freezing rain or sleet.

This is too funny. Really .75-1.5" of ice.... there is not even that much qpf... 

1489289_615911148456147_1542717919_n.jpg

I love DT's map. The mountains can have all the ice accretion they want. I get off scot free with probably only a glaze.

Sometimes, there are advantages to living only 70 feet above mean sea level. Power outages and cold weather dont mix.

I'll happily take my half inch of snow/sleet and glaze of ice changing to regular rain by late Sunday night.

Yep, they've now changed mine to snow/sleet as well. I posted the other day about tonight being an outside chance even if remote. I still think it remote. If anything I would think it might be freezing rain or sleet.

It was showing up on the models earlier today. Is the forecast computer generated or are they done by a Met?

NWS is now calling for 1" snow/sleet tonight for Westminster. Currently at 38 degrees.

Tonight: Rain. Snow and sleet after midnight. Snow and sleet accumulation up to 1 inch. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Same for Frederick.

FWIW, SREFS are fairly wet with the initial thump..around .30" for DC metro by 21z

My eyeballing suggests the flip from snow happens from 2pm to 5pm southeast to NW...precip starts around 9am...so decent window for snow...which I think is probably pretty consistent with other guidance...a 4-7 hour snow window, with hopefully a thump before the changeover...intermittent very light snow doesn't extend our window...so places that don't get a thump inside the window, will probably get closer to an inch or so

Wasn't it the NAM that first suggested that today would be a big rainer here?

It's been impressive and still pouring.

Maybe it's wetter forecast for Sunday plays out.

I don't think so. The GFS was pretty wet as was other guidance.. No one was paying much attention with the Sunday event the main deal.

Archived