Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

Quick question.

Why does the NWS have us under a winter storm watch with 1 to 2 inches of snow expected? That merits a winter weather advisory, not a WSW. Don't tell me the NWS has just gone all weenie on us.

A Winter Storm Watch is issued when there is the potential for significant and hazardous winter weather within 48 hours. It does not mean that significant and hazardous winter weather will occur...it only means it is possible.

Significant and hazardous winter weather is defined as a combination of:

1)  5 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 12-hour period or 7 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 24-hour period

AND/OR

2)  Enough ice accumulation to cause damage to trees or powerlines.

AND/OR

3)  a life threatening or damaging combination of snow and/or ice accumulation with wind.

The snow/sleet criteria for a Winter Storm Watch for the five westernmost counties (Allegany, Mineral, Grant, Pendleton, and Highland) is higher (6 inches or more within a 12-hour period; 8 inches or more within a 24-hour period). 

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question.

Why does the NWS have us under a winter storm watch with 1 to 2 inches of snow expected? That merits a winter weather advisory, not a WSW. Don't tell me the NWS has just gone all weenie on us.

because it is a watch first, then will go to either a warning, or advisory as it gets within 12 hrs

Quick question.

it's a winter "storm" watch.  doesn't have to be just snow.  the icing threat is the big show with this one.

On nam tomorrow's wave drops accumulating snow on Md/pa border

I think that is just the cold front moving through.. the 850 line I believe shows the temperature at the end of the period while the precip is for the duration leading up... 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, etc... depending on what you are looking at

I think that is just the cold front moving through.. the 850 line I believe shows the temperature at the end of the period while the precip is for the duration leading up... 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, etc... depending on what you are looking at

Yeah. Its just a 1 hour burst but it is there for some of us to the NW

Archived