Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good info on the VD Storm

February 13-14, 2007: The Valentine’s Day Sleet Storm. The weather map the morning of Tuesday the 13th showed low pressure strengthening over Arkansas, with a stationary front extending eastward across North Carolina. Temperatures in the NWS Sterling forecast area that morning were in the lower 30s. However, with high pressure over upstate New York, surface temperatures dropped below freezing by early afternoon on northerly winds. Of greater importance was what was happening to the temperature of the column of air up to 8000 feet above the surface. Weather balloon soundings taken every six hours at NWS Sterling showed that warm, above freezing air was flowing into the area on southwesterly winds between 5000 feet and 8000 feet. This was causing the snow falling from the clouds to melt, but as these drops descended further to refreeze prior to reaching the surface, forming sleet. East of Washington DC the column of subfreezing air was not as thick, and the drops remained liquid until they reached the surface, where they refroze on contact to form freezing rain. East of the Blue Ridge, sleet accumulated quickly on the morning of the 14th – Valentine’s Day. Totals for the storm ranged from 4-8” of snow and sleet across northern Virginia and central Maryland, to up to ¾ inch of ice in southern Prince Georges County. Almost 69,000 homes lost power in Anne Arundel County. The days after the storm were of little help to road and power crews, as well as those trying to clear driveways, as temperatures remained subfreezing until the afternoon of the 17th.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/winter/DC-Winters.htm

February 13-14, 2007: The Valentine’s Day Sleet Storm. The weather map the morning of Tuesday the 13th showed low pressure strengthening over Arkansas, with a stationary front extending eastward across North Carolina. Temperatures in the NWS Sterling forecast area that morning were in the lower 30s. However, with high pressure over upstate New York, surface temperatures dropped below freezing by early afternoon on northerly winds. Of greater importance was what was happening to the temperature of the column of air up to 8000 feet above the surface. Weather balloon soundings taken every six hours at NWS Sterling showed that warm, above freezing air was flowing into the area on southwesterly winds between 5000 feet and 8000 feet. This was causing the snow falling from the clouds to melt, but as these drops descended further to refreeze prior to reaching the surface, forming sleet. East of Washington DC the column of subfreezing air was not as thick, and the drops remained liquid until they reached the surface, where they refroze on contact to form freezing rain. East of the Blue Ridge, sleet accumulated quickly on the morning of the 14th – Valentine’s Day. Totals for the storm ranged from 4-8” of snow and sleet across northern Virginia and central Maryland, to up to ¾ inch of ice in southern Prince Georges County. Almost 69,000 homes lost power in Anne Arundel County. The days after the storm were of little help to road and power crews, as well as those trying to clear driveways, as temperatures remained subfreezing until the afternoon of the 17th.

Wow, I had the wrong days linked.  Thanks for sharing!

I don't get it. How can one clown map show a inch for DC and another show 6" for the same model.

the NAM4k isn't quite the same as the regular NAM though i'm not 100% sure why other than resolution (12km v 4km). 

Good info, and more or less how I remember it.  Brutally cold right after that storm, and everything turned into a block of ice for several days.

Wow, I had the wrong days linked.  Thanks for sharing!

I think you highlighted the Feb. 25th event that year, which was a pleasant surprise storm.  4-6" when it looked like we'd get mostly ice originally.

What a month that was, all around!!

I expect no less....or should I say no more with his forecasts

p.s. anyone see what the ever popular, accurate 84 hr NAM has lurking to the south?

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=084ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F18%2Fnam_namer_084_700_rh_ht.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=700_rh_ht&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

Extrapolating for wave #2!!

I guess so Ian but not to the extent that map would show. I could see the BR getting that but not the hills in and around Frederick Co

well it's a snowmap from a model so it's probably wrong anyway 

Archived