Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

Quick question.

Why does the NWS have us under a winter storm watch with 1 to 2 inches of snow expected? That merits a winter weather advisory, not a WSW. Don't tell me the NWS has just gone all weenie on us.

The 0.25" ice criteria is met with the watch.  Areas within the watch have potential for up to 0.6" ice...especially west of Montgomery / Howard / Loudon / Carroll.  Sterling also wanted some wiggle room since the high and fresh air mass may delay changeover to plain rain and give an icy surprise to I-95 corridor.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's picking up on the CAD...it's its specialty

perhaps but at that range we're probably just setting up to be angry with it on monday and then say it sucks and that it should never be used etc. 

The 0.25" ice criteria is met with the watch.  Areas within the watch have potential for up to 0.6" ice...especially west of Montgomery / Howard / Loudon / Carroll.  Sterling also wanted some wiggle room since the high and fresh air mass may delay changeover to plain rain and give an icy surprise to I-95 corridor.

You are about to be screwed.

can anyone think of a storm that gave us 3-4 inches followed by significant ice? this is going to look pretty awesome with the holiday lights...like the stuff you see in movies and commercials that never actually happens in our area. There was one storm in the 80s where it snowed 6 inches...then there was freezing drizzle/rain for a while and i was able to walk on top of the snow. Bob Ryan called it to get to 57 that day or something and we didnt go above freezing

December 1990

perhaps but at that range we're probably just setting up to be angry with it on monday and then say it sucks and that it should never be used etc. 

It will still suck at 24 hours...we don't really have to worry about it improving...but that said, I think there are aspects that I don't pay as much attention to that it might be decent at or at least help signal something when used in conjunction with other guidance....I've found it is pretty dangerous and often foolhardy to take it too seriously...but if mets and others think it has utlility in making a better forecast, then I defer to them..

Seriously NAM?.?.?. your like the alcoholic who wakes up sick every morning promising yourself you aren't gonna drink that night.. but as soon as 3:00 PM rolls around and you get off work your holding a big fat glimmering glass of Jack and Coke in one hand while pounding the bar while with the other... wondering how you got back here again?

This is banter. At best.

It will still suck at 24 hours...we don't really have to worry about it improving...but that said, I think there are aspects that I don't pay as much attention to that it might be decent at or at least help signal something when used in conjunction with other guidance....I've found it is pretty dangerous and often foolhardy to take it too seriously...but if mets and others think it has utlility in making a better forecast, then I defer to them..

Good points, while it's fun to look at this particular run, cannot (yet) take it at face value too seriously.  However, that said, one does have to wonder if it's picking up something in terms of the CAD signature.  It's notably longer lasting and colder.  Maybe not, and it may be different in 6 hours, but it raises the eye brows.

Good points, while it's fun to look at this particular run, cannot (yet) take it at face value too seriously.  However, that said, one does have to wonder if it's picking up something in terms of the CAD signature.  It's notably longer lasting and colder.  Maybe not, and it may be different in 6 hours, but it raises the eye brows.

I don't know...but I know with CAD, the favored areas in NW VA almost always hold on later than modeled

you know more about snow around here than i do but i'll just have to disagree with your thoughts on the nam in the short term.  i use it all the time with good results. it's certainly not my go to for a snowstorm though. 

you know more about snow around here than i do but i'll just have to disagree with your thoughts on the nam in the short term.  i use it all the time with good results. it's certainly not my go to for a snowstorm though. 

fair enough...if people get value out of it, I defer to them...I think we forget all the busts sometimes and only the successes....I know it screwed you badly on a forecast last winter...as it has me as well...

fair enough...if people get value out of it, I defer to them...I think we forget all the busts sometimes and only the successes....I know it screwed you badly on a forecast last winter...as it has me as well...

yeah.. i think it runs too cold at the sfc in general with storms. but it does pick up on nuances across the area it seems with the higher resolution.  i'd always favor a gfs/euro type of blend over the nam for a snow event though .. or should. who knows in practice. even the most conservative forecasters become weenies every now and then. if the nam showed a huge hit in 12 hours i'd probably be tempted to buy it and it might bust.   i like it for t-storms of course. 

yeah.. i think it runs too cold at the sfc in general with storms. but it does pick up on nuances across the area it seems with the higher resolution.  i'd always favor a gfs/euro type of blend over the nam for a snow event though .. or should. who knows in practice. even the most conservative forecasters become weenies every now and then. if the nam showed a huge hit in 12 hours i'd probably be tempted to buy it and it might bust.   i like it for t-storms of course. 

This may be obvious (of course), but it will be very interesting if the GFS likewise shows the CAD hanging on longer in the metro areas similar to the NAM.  But that's speculation at this point, and can't really forecast what a forecast model will show based on the solutions of another one (or something like that)!

can anyone think of a storm that gave us 3-4 inches followed by significant ice? this is going to look pretty awesome with the holiday lights...like the stuff you see in movies and commercials that never actually happens in our area. There was one storm in the 80s where it snowed 6 inches...then there was freezing drizzle/rain for a while and i was able to walk on top of the snow. Bob Ryan called it to get to 57 that day or something and we didnt go above freezing

I think I remember that same storm but was in southern nj then. They called for 1-3 then rain and 50 and it never changed over. We got 8" them freezing drizzle. It was the mid/late 80s.

I was in Bowie, and I remember the VD storm in 2007 starting off as snow, then switching over to a little sleet then massive freezing rain. I feel like we got at least a couple inches of snow.

The crusty ice layer over the light snow accumulation stuck around for over a week easily in my area. I remember it being quite a big bust forecast expecting more rain.

Archived