• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

Probably, I thought I got around .2 before changeover when I looked at the temps off the euro. Jason has my 1" probability at 50% which I think this early is fine. 

Ryan's really good at the model stuff but he's a tropical guy. I'm not 100% sure he knows the snow stuff.. if he tweaked the algorithms at all. I'm still unsure if that comes packaged when it goes out or how companies change it.  But by and large their snow maps seem to keep bringing snow after it should stop.  They are pretty though. 

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan's really good at the model stuff but he's a tropical guy. I'm not 100% sure he knows the snow stuff.. if he tweaked the algorithms at all. I'm still unsure if that comes packaged when it goes out or how companies change it.  But by and large their snow maps seem to keep bringing snow after it should stop.  They are pretty though. 

What I assume he's doing is just taking the categorical yes/no for snow and then summing all the liquid equivalent when a given model says it should be snow (as a function of their thermal profiles) and then applying the standard 10:1 ratio -- that's the path of least resistance with trying to "estimate" liquid equivalent that falls as snow in model space (not necessarily what accumulates -- at that point their is no interaction with the land surface scheme of the model). In other words -- it will always be the perfect case scenario (assuming a perfect model) for accumulation but generally always an over-prediction and at times a gross over-prediction.  

Another thing to consider is that the ECMWF output may be poorly classifying precipitation type -- so that might not be his fault but if he was doing a more sophisticated method to retrieve snow he wouldn't care what the raw output says. 

What I assume he's doing is just taking the categorical yes/no for snow and then summing all the liquid equivalent when a given model says it should be snow (as a function of their thermal profiles) and then applying the standard 10:1 ratio -- that's the path of least resistance with trying to "estimate" liquid equivalent that falls as snow in model space (not necessarily what accumulates -- at that point their is no interaction with the land surface scheme of the model). In other words -- it will always be the perfect case scenario (assuming a perfect model) for accumulation but generally always an over-prediction and at times a gross over-prediction.  

Another thing to consider is that the ECMWF output may be poorly classifying precipitation type -- so that might not be his fault but if he was doing a more sophisticated method to retrieve snow he wouldn't care what the raw output says. 

But those amounts don't seem to fit the 850 temps so I think something else is going one.  I wonder if he really looks at the thermal profiles to look for a warm layer. 

Just re-read this and you made my point.  Thanks, Ian.

As long as snow maps are used as just a general guide to the potential event but not used as a forecast then I think they are fine. The problem is their prolific use and they look much like tv forecast map. They fly all over the internet and the vast majority of people use them the wrong way.

It's not that hard to look at precip and temp panels and drill down a more accurate picture of what may be snow/sleet/rain. Many of us weenies can do it. I don't have a problem with the maps themselves but the misuse is a misinformation highway. Especially on the biggest weather board in the universe...Facebook...

But those amounts don't seem to fit the 850 temps so I think something else is going one.  I wonder if he really looks at the thermal profiles to look for a warm layer. 

Yes, exactly, that's what I was trying to convey -- I don't believe he's looking at any thermals -- if the raw ECMWF output says yes on snow (which I can't confirm because I don't work or have access to any raw ECMWF grib files) he sums up the QPF for that period and applies a standard ratio. 

I think it's pretty obvious he's not looking for warm layers to try to either correct a poor classification in the raw ECMWF or if he's doing his own estimation of p-type.

Probably, I thought I got around .2 before changeover when I looked at the temps off the euro. Jason has my 1" probability at 50% which I think this early is fine. 

12z GFS, DCA goes to sleet around ~19z...so get around .20" as snow....I am not sure the euro is really that different..probably 0.2" before the flip...I think 1-2" then sleet is a good call for DCA right now, 

As long as snow maps are used as just a general guide to the potential event but not used as a forecast then I think they are fine. The problem is their prolific use and they look much like tv forecast map. They fly all over the internet and the vast majority of people use them the wrong way.

It's not that hard to look at precip and temp panels and drill down a more accurate picture of what may be snow/sleet/rain. Many of us weenies can do it. I don't have a problem with the maps themselves but the misuse is a misinformation highway. Especially on the biggest weather board in the universe...Facebook...

good post, I fully agree

as you probably agree It is pretty apparent that DCA at least flips shortly after 18z even on the euro...most of the thump between 18z and 00z would not be snow....on the 12z GFS, at 21z, DCA has 850mb temp of -1.2 and a 800mb temp of +0.8..and the euro orientation is similar...so these maps are kind of for entertainment only...I don't think they have any value in issuing a forecast...like not even minor value

Interesting, thanks.  I've tried to figure out where the issue is but haven't been able to yet.  It does seem that sometimes the snow output tracks with the 32 surface line at wxbell but maybe I'm imagining it. 

as you probably agree It is pretty apparent that DCA at least flips shortly after 18z even on the euro...most of the thump between 18z and 00z would not be snow....on the 12z GFS, at 21z, DCA has 850mb temp of -1.2 and a 800mb temp of +0.8..and the euro orientation is similar...so these maps are kind of for entertainment only...I don't think they have any value in issuing a forecast...like not even minor value

Yeah -- I've only looked at the GFS -- but i'd agree.

Another thing to consider about snow maps (and could be why the WxBell maps may be so poor) -- I assume he's working with 6-hr ECMWF output -- so if he is just assuming that all QPF that falls in a 6-hour window is snow based on the categorical field in the raw output -- I believe that is an average over the 6-hr period rather than an instantaneous so if 3.01 hours of the 6 hour window support snow but 75% of the QPF falls in the second half of the 6-hour window -- the categorical snow would be yes while most of the QPF actually fell as rain. so if you're assigning where that QPF goes based on the categorical field you just added a bunch of extra snow that wasn't support by the thermal profiles -- i'm sure if he had hourly ECMWF output his snow maps would be greatly improved. It's the only explanation I have -- I can't believe the ECMWF p-type algorithm would be so poor it's much more likely he doesn't have the adequate temporal resolution to break down 6-hr QPF totals into the correct p-type bins. 

Watches hoisted for everyone it looks like

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

233 PM EST FRI DEC 6 2013

DCZ001-MDZ004>007-009>011-013-014-016-VAZ039-040-042-050>057-501-

502-070345-

/O.EXB.KLWX.WS.A.0008.131208T1400Z-131209T1200Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-

HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-

ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...

GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...

LEESBURG...CULPEPER...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...

ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...FREDERICKSBURG...WARRENTON

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY

MORNING THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW AND SLEET WILL CHANGE OVER TO FREEZING

RAIN SUNDAY AFTERNOON. FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TO LAST UNTIL

LATE SUNDAY NIGHT OR MONDAY MORNING BEFORE CHANGING TO RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET AND A QUARTER

INCH OR MORE OF ICE ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...SNOW AND SLEET ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN SUNDAY MORNING. A

CHANGEOVER TO FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED MIDDAY SUNDAY AND WILL

CONTINUE INTO THE NIGHT BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO RAIN LATE SUNDAY

NIGHT OR MONDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30 DEGREES.

* WINDS...LIGHT NORTHERLY WINDS.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE PROBABLE DUE TO SLICK

ROADS AND ICY CONDITIONS SUNDAY AND POSSIBLY INTO MONDAY.

INCREASED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Interesting, thanks.  I've tried to figure out where the issue is but haven't been able to yet.  It does seem that sometimes the snow output tracks with the 32 surface line at wxbell but maybe I'm imagining it. 

That's unfortunately my other thought -- that he's using some poor surface temp threshold for snow but given his education level he should know better. 

Yeah -- I've only looked at the GFS -- but i'd agree.

Another thing to consider about snow maps (and could be why the WxBell maps may be so poor) -- I assume he's working with 6-hr ECMWF output -- so if he is just assuming that all QPF that falls in a 6-hour window is snow based on the categorical field in the raw output -- I believe that is an average over the 6-hr period rather than an instantaneous so if 3.01 hours of the 6 hour window support snow but 75% of the QPF falls in the second half of the 6-hour window -- the categorical snow would be yes while most of the QPF actually fell as rain. so if you're assigning where that QPF goes based on the categorical field you just added a bunch of extra snow that wasn't support by the thermal profiles -- i'm sure if he had hourly ECMWF output his snow maps would be greatly improved. It's the only explanation I have -- I can't believe the ECMWF p-type algorithm would be so poor it's much more likely he doesn't have the adequate temporal resolution to break down 6-hr QPF totals into the correct p-type bins. 

That make a lot of sense.  We have those for the GFS but not for the Euro and it doesn't look like there is an interprolation scheme to weight how much fell as rain versus snow based on the change in temp. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

DCZ001-MDZ004>007-009>011-013-014-016-VAZ039-040-042-050>057-501-

502-070345-

/O.EXB.KLWX.WS.A.0008.131208T1400Z-131209T1200Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-

HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-

ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-

PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER...

GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...

LEESBURG...CULPEPER...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...

ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...FREDERICKSBURG...WARRENTON

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY

MORNING THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW AND SLEET WILL CHANGE OVER TO FREEZING

RAIN SUNDAY AFTERNOON. FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TO LAST UNTIL

LATE SUNDAY NIGHT OR MONDAY MORNING BEFORE CHANGING TO RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET AND A QUARTER

INCH OR MORE OF ICE ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...SNOW AND SLEET ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN SUNDAY MORNING. A

CHANGEOVER TO FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED MIDDAY SUNDAY AND WILL

CONTINUE INTO THE NIGHT BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO RAIN LATE SUNDAY

NIGHT OR MONDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30 DEGREES.

* WINDS...LIGHT NORTHERLY WINDS.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE PROBABLE DUE TO SLICK

ROADS AND ICY CONDITIONS SUNDAY AND POSSIBLY INTO MONDAY.

INCREASED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

It left me out. 

That make a lot of sense.  We have those for the GFS but not for the Euro and it doesn't look like there is an interprolation scheme to weight how much fell as rain versus snow based on the change in temp. 

Yes, so in that case it's maybe not his fault that the maps don't seem to make sense but it does make a compelling case that unless outside of any margin for warm layers, the ECMWF snow maps are pretty much worthless. 

All an educated guess on my end -- if anyone has worked with raw Euro data, they might have some additional thoughts about what could be going wrong.

Archived