joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/6-12/7 obs thread

Bostonseminole

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol this past page has made me LOL - well done everyone. 

Seems like things are on target. Snow growth issues on the northern fringe near ALB with sneaky warm layers causing issues even where it is 33F. I posted earlier that I thought this wouldn't be your typical "the boundary layer is killing us stuff" - rather a lot of mid level warmth that is in no hurry to leave. 

We are advecting a nice shot of cold from the sfc through 900 mb so we should continue to tickle the sleet south. 

I didn't know you had posted about below freezing mid-level warmth.  If so, really good call.  I did not hear or read one other forecaster make mention of it.  This evening there has been mixed precipitation well N & W of where several NWS forecast offices thought the all snow line would be.

lol this past page has made me LOL - well done everyone.

Seems like things are on target. Snow growth issues on the northern fringe near ALB with sneaky warm layers causing issues even where it is 33F. I posted earlier that I thought this wouldn't be your typical "the boundary layer is killing us stuff" - rather a lot of mid level warmth that is in no hurry to leave.

We are advecting a nice shot of cold from the sfc through 900 mb so we should continue to tickle the sleet south.

Got a little IP here too. I think that warm layer was modeled well and with the notion of how stubborn

They can be....about what we thought.

I didn't know you had posted about below freezing mid-level warmth.  If so, really good call.  I did not hear or read one other forecaster make mention of it.  This evening there has been mixed precipitation well N & W of where several NWS forecast offices thought the all snow line would be.

he good. doesnt get enough credit, prob because some peeps think he is the anti snow angel.

2 issues - one is sneaky mid level warmth >0c producing sleet as opposed to going straight from rain to snow as many thought or hoped for. I think a lot of us were wary about an extended period of PL.

But there's also no question that on the northern fringe - especially up by ALB - there were going to be snow growth issues. 

2 issues - one is sneaky mid level warmth >0c producing sleet as opposed to going straight from rain to snow as many thought or hoped for. I think a lot of us were wary about an extended period of PL.

But there's also no question that on the northern fringe - especially up by ALB - there were going to be snow growth issues. 

I thought the first issue would be overcome by dynamics wherever the heaviest stuff set up.  Looks like that might be the case.  Didn't think ALB would stay mixed for so long with a cold column.  I think the snow growth issue is plaguing lots of people on the northern fringe.  From Pa - VT.

Archived