• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/6-12/7 obs thread

Bostonseminole

Idk why you're surprised. This wasn't supposed to be anything big except for people in NH and further west. Don't listen to the hype! This board does nothing but that.

Oh stop. NWS had advisories up for 1-2" around here and we got nothing. Its not hype, maybe some weenies thought we could get some 2-4" amounts but lets not go THAT far that this board hyped up some big event.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea why Albany had a WSW.

Yeah I mentioned to powderfreak yesterday how surprised I was at that.

I thought the BOX advisory areas were good (Cheshire, N ORH, Franklin, Hampshire) given the info we had. Another hour or two of precip and it would have verified...instead it was a little bit short of advisory, but not a terrible bust.

Well to those who intimated that this just finished dud would be the bigger event lets hope they're not right...lol.

Glad I was bearish.

Always happy to see a coating now only on the sun protected deck.

Day if infamy today.....what I grew up with.

We there is your coating lol. At least you got that.

1.0" of snow here. It looks like 1.5" in Worthington (just west of West Chesterfield), and 1.5" in Goshen per the BOX PNS, so it looks like the normally favored spots didn't do that well either. This one definitely goes down as a bust. Warm air layer aloft and fast progressive flow FTL.

I think that is more the cause (latter bold).   Agreed there...

Though there was definitely some warm layers, along Rt 2 we flipped to snow an hour and a half before the machine interpretation of the NAM said we would (places around FIT...).  We actually pounded parachutes for 20 minutes at 34F, then it went back to a sleety snow for 20 more ...than sleet for another 20, then back to snow and it actually snowed holiday aggregates for 3 hours; but just too light to mean anything other than mood.   

Looking across those p-types, yeah...there was some contention in there, and the sleety snow was an indication that for a brief period of time the snow was falling through a boxing match... but, I just saw bright-banded rad returns moving from western CT to NE mass in like 1.5 hours worth of frames, which is truly hauling azz!   Given to the early-ish flip over timing, if this had slowed down, it definitely would not have mattered otherwise.   Just imo.

It's like one should always take the under in these gradient patterns;  which we agreed upon recently to mean, any pattern where you have unusually steep gradients on a continental scale -- to which this certainly applies to now!!  with panache...  Also, personally ... I'm never a big fan for depending on ANA -type events to satisfy my internal winter lust... They usually disappoint for whatever myriad of reasons ...ending too fast, turning out too dry, not cold enough soon enough... etc, etc...  Last night?  Hard to drop much deposition with moderately strong mechanics moving at the speed of light (speaking hyperbole for the literal reader...)

That all said ... heh, at least it snowed.  I'm actually a little taken by how fast it is disappearing... probably be bare ground here in Ayer (save the shade sides) by sun-down.  Though it is hard to hold an inch when its 36 and sunny (even in Dec).  I thought it would be colder today though.   

I am officially scoring myself a D+ on this system for negating it's tremendous speed when I wrote optimistically about it yesterday.   The only reason I'm giving myself a passing grade at all, is because despite that we did see snow a bit earlier in the event cycling than anticipated.  If it really did wait until 11:30 to flip, we'd be talking about nothing at all!  But I knew that about the fast flow and the factor didn't occur to me at the time.  

BLNT

Not sure how you all think this storm was a bust. Total precip amounts appear to be in line with what the models were spitting out give or take 0.1-0.2" (in MA). Timing also appeared to be fine, models had this out of here by early morning. I sense more hype followed by disappointment more than anything. I think models did fine, but as they say, to each their own.

Not sure how you all think this storm was a bust. Total precip amounts appear to be in line with what the models were spitting out give or take 0.1-0.2" (in MA). Timing also appeared to be fine, models had this out of here by early morning. I sense more hype followed by disappointment more than anything. I think models did fine, but as they say, to each their own.

Lol , u really do hate snow . This wasn't a bad bust. But when the other .1 or .2 was suppose to be snow, well there goes any accurate accum forecasts. It is what it is NBD. You will be constantly pissing into the wind if you aren't gonna let people on a snow lovers board be less than thrill'd that they dont even get a coating of snow for themselves to look at, even thou i would agree this was by NO means a horrible bust, unless say u look at forecasts for the western berks

Lol , u really do hate snow . This wasn't a bad bust. But when the other .1 or .2 was suppose to be snow, well there goes any accurate accum forecasts. It is what it is NBD. You will be constantly pissing into the wind if you aren't gonna let people on a snow lovers board be less than thrill'd that they dont even get a coating of snow for themselves to look at, even thou i would agree this was by NO means a horrible bust, unless say u look at forecasts for the western berks

Haha very true. I'm already drenched and it's only December. 

Archived