joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/6-12/7 obs thread

Bostonseminole

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news...transition to snow is now underway. Some snow is now mixing in with the sleet pellets. 32.7° F.

I was wondering about snow growth potential with such warm temps aloft...

I mean, how is Pittsfield, MA in the Berkshires 32/30 and -RN right now? 

These two locations are close...I suspect that there may be a mix at Pittsfield that's not being reported.

0z ALB sounding .. sneaky warm layer around 750-790 mb. also you can see the dry air / cooler temps being advected from the NNW / NW below 800 mb.

attachicon.gifalb sounding txt 12 7 13.png

That should be a snow sounding above 1000 feet.  Even lower.  A shallow, barely above freezing layer shouldn't melt flakes.  Not sure why BGM wasn't snow the past few hours.  Wonder what the Helderbergs are reporting.

That should be a snow sounding above 1000 feet.  Even lower.  A shallow, barely above freezing layer shouldn't melt flakes.  Not sure why BGM wasn't snow the past few hours.  Wonder what the Helderbergs are reporting.

Because nucleation sucks. You won't get much ice growth when the temp is 0 to -8C and the lift is occurring in that level.

I wonder if they're even getting much in the way of nucleation with those cloud temps? That uber dry layer would explain the -RAPL obs.

Good call.  Didn't even consider that.  I thought some of the snowfall algorithms catch that sort of thing and flag IP or ZR in those cases.  Starting to think a goose egg is a possibility around here.

Good call.  Didn't even consider that.  I thought some of the snowfall algorithms catch that sort of thing and flag IP or ZR in those cases.  Starting to think a goose egg is a possibility around here.

Those algorithms are a joke. You are better off the look at soundings and real time. 

These two locations are close...I suspect that there may be a mix at Pittsfield that's not being reported.

Yeah that may not be getting picked up by the ASOS.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA with another 0.14" last hour and reporting moderate freezing rain at 33/30 now.

Wasn't BGM looking to get crushed?  I can't believe they've only had 0.01" of QPF so far.   31/27 with UP/Sleet, but precip is so light there it doesn't matter at the moment.

Archived