Little Rock

Memphis

Louisville

Paducah

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Columbus

...to name a few

The northern areas getting crushed (like Duluth) is one thing but it's a little irritating to largely be missed to the south multiple times this early.  I'll be thankful for whatever we get...just don't want to look at brown ground when it's so cold.     

The other shoe will drop soon enough, but I do concur it is a bit much to get missed to the north and south several times already.

It appears that it will only be Detroit-Toronto corridor people in here soon. Personally I'm okay with the cold temperatures that don't bring snow since that means the lakes will cool down. I am most likely in the minority here though when it comes to that. This is selfish on my part but I would rather -15C and no snow then 1C and a slush fest of 3-5cm while northern GTA gets 15-20cm 

Wrong.

List of cities getting significant snow/ice before me:

Oklahoma City

Dallas

Fort Smith

Little Rock

Memphis

Louisville

Paducah

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Columbus

...to name a few

The northern areas getting crushed (like Duluth) is one thing but it's a little irritating to largely be missed to the south multiple times this early.  I'll be thankful for whatever we get...just don't want to look at brown ground when it's so cold.     

I got on here to post this very sentiment and see that Hoosier beat me to it.  The first legit winter storm for the area with possible 6"+ that just misses to the south is a kick in the groin.

Wrong.

I got on here to post this very sentiment and see that Hoosier beat me to it.  The first legit winter storm for the area with possible 6"+ that just misses to the south is a kick in the groin.

was the December 26th (boxing day storm), the first major winterstorm for our subforum last year? If so, southern IN into western OH is definitely on a hot streak.

Correct. Thanks for the reminder. I did get 3.4" out of it, but was sooo close to more.

I think we got around 4"...due to a lot of sleet/slop for several hours at the onset. I recall blizzard warnings along and up the Ohio river valley to about Dayton. Uncanny...almost exact area to see the brunt of this first winter season storm

Posters like Josh must be ready to pull their hair out. Sure hope the 8th pans out. Slow starts are always agony for snow bugs.

Without a doubt the hardest part is the beginning of the season. We have already had several dustings/coatings of snow this season, but have not seen a blanket of snow since March 17th. It could be the snowiest winter on record but for some reason we never seem to get in on the first few events here. And as long as its a good winter, thats fine. Never makes the waiting easier though. Potential is there though, so I will hold off on complaining to see what transpires from the 8th-11th with synoptic and lake effect stuff.

Wrong.

Let me just join in: I'm all sorts of irritated that I'm going to miss to the south with this storm, then be dry slotted on the second wave of energy. Outside of the freak March storm that dumped a foot of snow that was gone a day later, I'm still looking at zero 6"+ storms since the GHD storm. I'll just go back to look at the pictures of the Valentine's Day Blizzard.

GFS sucks in more ways than one. It is a much milder run for Ontario with the 850mb minus 20 line never making it down here. I'm predicting yet another December to average out normal to slightly above normal temperature wise in Toronto, which seems to have been a trend over the past few years. I was doing some research and of the three winter months, December has the most noticeable warming trend in this region.

Next week looks to be a disappointment for Toronto with little snow and temperatures averaging out normal to slightly below average at best.

Snow is going to be in short supply but there's no way next week averages out near normal. It'll be well below normal. Maybe not as cold as if we had snowcover, but cold.

My problem is that without snow, I don't give a rat's ass about cold.

Next week looks to be a disappointment for Toronto with little snow and temperatures averaging out normal to slightly below average at best.

Snow is going to be in short supply but there's no way next week averages out near normal. It'll be well below normal. Maybe not as cold as if we had snowcover, but cold.

My problem is that without snow, I don't give a rat's ass about cold.

High temps of 28℉ works great for me, high temps of 12℉ isn't my favorite.

just like last year

if it makes you feel better, we should head into a mild zonal pattern by mid-month

These weak storms with undefined moisture bands on the northern side are like the shades of 2011-12...can it get any more boring?

Cold and dry aint my style. Hopefully we loosen this progressive pattern a bit and develop better digging storms.

Zzzzz

The GRR area is quickly approaching double digit yearly deficits from normal.  Talk about a region being whiffed to the north, south, and west.

Gaylord has had 35" and I have had 24" but it still stinks to see all this cold air with the lake guns empty pretty much.

I'm expecting 4-8" locally here by Monday evening.  hardly worth mentioning in these parts.

Like canuck said next week looks impressively cold when compared to normal. I could see low temperatures in the low to mid teens, which is fine by me in December with LES. If we can lay down a 2-3" snowcover prior to that it may aide in dropping temps lower. Alot of overnight lows this Fall have gotten below the predicted values.

You have high standards LOL.

But next week looks boring. Cold and dry aint fun. -_-

long range euro is brutal for snow lovers across the entire lower 48...on the plus side, arctic outbreak  seems subdued and brief.

Its not great, but its much better than the 00z and keeps the UP and northern lower in play.

Its trending toward the GFS, which has always been less aggressive with warmth.

Some ugly stuff being shown on the models. Starting to question any call for a front end loaded winter. It certainly isnt looking that way for the majority of the sub forum. Good news is that the robins will be back in town in about 90 days or so. Lol

Oh, mud season?

Phhhft

Our last storm this year will be mid April...

I hope we get a repeat of last spring.

Like canuck said next week looks impressively cold when compared to normal. I could see low temperatures in the low to mid teens, which is fine by me in December with LES. If we can lay down a 2-3" snowcover prior to that it may aide in dropping temps lower. Alot of overnight lows this Fall have gotten below the predicted values.

You have high standards LOL.

But next week looks boring. Cold and dry aint fun. -_-

I suppose it's a hangover from my six winters in Ottawa.

I was checking old data and even in cold Decembers like 2000, a high of minus 5 or 6 Celsius was average for the second week of December. It was the overnight lows that pulled our mean temperature down. January is, by far, the coldest month.

Archived