joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 1

dmc76

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank God I'm out of Toronto. Cant count the number of Zs since the beginning of November back home. And looks to stay that way.

Mid-November wind storm, followed by downtown Toronto snowsqualls, record cold and a nice (if not minimal) synoptic snow event made for an interesting November.

December? Looks boring as hell. Maybe get a system around the Monday time frame but remains to be seen.

Mid-November wind storm, followed by downtown Toronto snowsqualls, record cold and a nice (if not minimal) synoptic snow event made for an interesting November.

December? Looks boring as hell. Maybe get a system around the Monday time frame but remains to be seen.

The wind storm? Fair enough. A <1" snowsquall and ~1" synoptic event don't scratch the surface of interesting in my books in what is traditionally the stormiest month of the year.

The wind storm? Fair enough. A <1" snowsquall and ~1" synoptic event don't scratch the surface of interesting in my books in what is traditionally the stormiest month of the year.

Overall we had more days with cloud cover than sunshine, however we had no decent precipitation so it was a pretty boring month.

Had that storm near the end but if it tracked a bit more west with a better cold supply we would have gotten more snowfall. It was a chilly month, so that's one good thing. Had a few small snowfalls which was far more appetizing than the last few November's.

Boringish month, I hope December is better but so far it isnt lol.

It appears that it will only be Detroit-Toronto corridor people in here soon. Personally I'm okay with the cold temperatures that don't bring snow since that means the lakes will cool down. I am most likely in the minority here though when it comes to that. This is selfish on my part but I would rather -15C and no snow then 1C and a slush fest of 3-5cm while northern GTA gets 15-20cm 

'Stormiest' month maybe but far from snowiest. We had two pretty good storms to track which kept things entertaining and even a bit of snow taboot. 60cm lake effect dump down in London was impressive as well (although not YYZ).

'Stormiest' month maybe but far from snowiest. We had two pretty good storms to track which kept things entertaining and even a bit of snow taboot. 60cm lake effect dump down in London was impressive as well (although not YYZ).

We'll have to agree to disagree. Threats of storminess don't cut it. Precipitation was 33.5% of normal. That to me is conclusive.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Threats of storminess don't cut it. Precipitation was 33.5% of normal. That to me is conclusive.

Fair enough that is actually quite lower than I had assumed. I suppose I'm just a bit of a wind junkie so that event really made the month for me. Hadn't heard the house creak like that in years.

Fair enough that is actually quite lower than I had assumed. I suppose I'm just a bit of a wind junkie so that event really made the month for me. Hadn't heard the house creak like that in years.

Wind doesnt cut it. The passage of fronts always creates windy conditions once the storm passes. 

I agree with Canuck, overall it was a boring month. Even October didnt have much in the way of storminess though it did fair better in overall precipitation. Only 36mm was recorded in November at YYZ and of that 4.8cm was snowfall. Both rain and snowfall were below average, however, it was the snowiest since 2008. 

And so far December aint any funner -_- 

Wind doesnt cut it. The passage of fronts always creates windy conditions once the storm passes. 

I agree with Canuck, overall it was a boring month. Even October didnt have much in the way of storminess though it did fair better in overall precipitation. Only 36mm was recorded in November at YYZ and of that 4.8cm was snowfall. Both rain and snowfall were below average, however, it was the snowiest since 2008. 

And so far December aint any funner -_- 

Yeah, I agree. I'm exclusively a precip. guy. In fact, I prefer snow without wind just because of the ease in measuring. But it's a subjective assessment. If wind's what harrisale values, then I guess November wasn't as bad for him as it was for you and I.

Yeah, I agree. I'm exclusively a precip. guy. In fact, I prefer snow without wind just because of the ease in measuring. But it's a subjective assessment. If wind's what harrisale values, then I guess November wasn't as bad as it was for you and I.

Yeah when its windy, getting a precise measurement is very difficult. I remember during the Dec 2008 storm, i had like different numbers everywhere. When the winds finally calmed down, I was finally able to get a precise number in like 8 different measurement spots.

Yeah it depends what fascinates you. In the case of Harrisale, wind is good enough but for you and me, we need some precipitation added in.  

Im sure Edmonton has had a fair share of snowy weather since November? And blustery conditions. 

Well the November 17-18th event was far from your run of the mill fropa. 45-60mph gusts for 4-5 hours was awesome. The sting jet on that system came around perfectly and we got whipped pretty good.

I really enjoy the physics behind pressure gradient force, and of course the tangible result: wind.

Admittedly now that its getting into met winter and I've had my blustery fix for a while, I'd love a nice 15cm+ snowfall. Throw some blowing snow whiteouts in there and I'm ecstatic, but for now just give me a storm that we can get on the cold side of to get excited about.

List of cities getting significant snow/ice before me:

Oklahoma City

Dallas

Fort Smith

Little Rock

Memphis

Louisville

Paducah

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Columbus

...to name a few

The northern areas getting crushed (like Duluth) is one thing but it's a little irritating to largely be missed to the south multiple times this early.  I'll be thankful for whatever we get...just don't want to look at brown ground when it's so cold.     

Archived