SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 1

dmc76

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may make a home in here mid-month when I'm at like 3" on the season and staring a pattern flip in the face.  :D

The long range GFS has been shedding the warm up idea...

Usually just one or two storms define the season outside the lakes, so you really can't worry that much. With the lakes so close, its like living in the valley near the mountains, so close, but no cigar.

The long range GFS has been shedding the warm up idea... Usually just one or two storms define the season outside the lakes, so you really can't worry that much. With the lakes so close, its like living in the valley near the mountains, so close, but no cigar.

The deck is being shuffled toward the end of the run (12z) with a warmer pattern about to commence.  Whether it verifies, whether it doesn't, whether it gets delayed, we'll see.  It seems unlikely that we'll have 100 days in a row of -EPO so when it relaxes, we'll need help from elsewhere.

I think 1 or 2 storms defining a season is more applicable on the east coast/I-95.  Our big dog climo isn't as good as theirs.  Other than 1998-99 (blizzard of '99) and 2006-2007 (VD) I can't really think of other recent examples of a storm defining a season.  Edit:  I guess you could include the storm in late March of this year.   

I really don't like my own climo... I would relocate to Houghton or Traverse City in a heartbeat if it was logistically possible, which it isn't.

yeah your climo is pretty awful....weak spring severe prospects and typical non-mountain, non-lake, and non-east coast crap winters. maybe a move up to the lake belts after retirement? springs would be god awful but you'll save big in snow commuting costs.

I really don't like my own climo... I would relocate to Houghton or Traverse City in a heartbeat if it was logistically possible, which it isn't.

The born there - pure ganders have a name for transplants that come south of Midland...

Fudgies.

I got my place in Elk Rapids for the beach and summer chilling. I used to ponder the eventual move up that way. But the long winters no longer have that romantic appeal to me.

I personally love the climo around here. We get all 4 seasons and the winters are not overly brutal.

The born there - pure ganders have a name for transplants that come south of Midland...

Fudgies.

I got my place in Elk Rapids for the beach and summer chilling. I used to ponder the eventual move up that way. But the long winters no longer have that romantic appeal to me.

Its not as bad as you would think it is.... Two week longer winter and pretty similar fall start time. The difference is that when winter is here, they get snow and we more often than not... get leftovers from frontal passages and under-performing snowstorms. We probably average 2 warning criteria events per winter down here. The real sucky thing about being in SE Michigan is that we aren't in SW Michigan. Grand Rapids is just a better, more thriving place, with a closer proximity to a Midwest summer destination. The east side of the state sucks, there is no real denying that. The dunes, LES, beaches, economy and beauty is on the west side of the state. 

I live here to make money, but I have no plans hanging around on the weekends.

Its not as bad as you would think it is.... Two week longer winter and pretty similar fall start time. The difference is that when winter is here, they get snow and we more often than not... get leftovers from frontal passages and under-performing snowstorms. We probably average 2 warning criteria events per winter down here. The real sucky thing about being in SE Michigan is that we aren't in SW Michigan. Grand Rapids is just a better, more thriving place, with a closer proximity to a Midwest summer destination. The east side of the state sucks, there is no real denying that. The dunes, LES, beaches, economy and beauty is on the west side of the state. 

I kinda disagree with this.  Spring is cold here until May... especially Lakeshore areas

I even had low 40's several times in July.  High temps begin to even out with areas south eventually..... normal low temps in Summer remain 55'ish

Summer's are a dream!

Your view of the east side of MI is odd. I happen to love the sunrise coast. From Port Austin up through Rogers city is beautiful. Not to mention the quality huron national and au sable state forests on the east side.

I like my climo other than the infrequency of big snows.  The good thing is that I can drive a couple hours to the IN/MI snowbelt if I'm in need of a fix.   

How far do you have to go to see snow from a typical LES with a NNW flow in Indiana? I know with a N wind Lafayette can pick up accumulation too.

Archived