Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2013 Obs

metalicwx366

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a strange wind event this morning around 6:30am.  I was inside and heard tons of acorns hitting the roof and a loud roar. I'm like what the hell. It went from pretty much calm to 20mph with gusts as high as 30 mph several times with a top gust of 33mph.  So i checked the observations to see what athens, atlanta, etc winds were and to my amazement they were just 5mph or so. 10 minutes later (if that) it was back to being virtually dead calm. Every thing was dripping as if it had rained..now it was foggy but there seemed to be too much for it to just be that. But there was absolutely not a single thing on radar anywhere around me. 

I went back a few minutes ago and looked again at the winds in athens, gainesville, atlanta, etc and saw that there was a time where winds increased to to 10 to 15mph with gusts to 20 and 25mph and then sharply decreased by the next observation just a few minutes later. You can see the progression across north ga, taking about an hour to go from ffc/atlanta to athens and an hour after the wind hit here, it increased a lot in greenwood then fell back again.

I'm not sure if this was the front or maybe a gravity wave of some kind? Seems to be pretty fast for a front and I don't think i've ever seen a front only have winds blowing hard for literally 5 or 10 minutes and then stop.  Regardless, it was pretty wild.

The SUN!!!

Would like to see the sun, its a race between sunset and dry air,  it will prolly clear out right at dusk just to tease me...but the breaks just west of here should be enough to at least get a few rays of sun through

vis loop has a pretty cool feature moving along the back edge of the deck from central NC into SE VA...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/wfo/rah/flash-vis.html

Had a strange wind event this morning around 6:30am.  I was inside and heard tons of acorns hitting the roof and a loud roar. I'm like what the hell. It went from pretty much calm to 20mph with gusts as high as 30 mph several times with a top gust of 33mph.  So i checked the observations to see what athens, atlanta, etc winds were and to my amazement they were just 5mph or so. 10 minutes later (if that) it was back to being virtually dead calm. Every thing was dripping as if it had rained..now it was foggy but there seemed to be too much for it to just be that. But there was absolutely not a single thing on radar anywhere around me. 

I went back a few minutes ago and looked again at the winds in athens, gainesville, atlanta, etc and saw that there was a time where winds increased to to 10 to 15mph with gusts to 20 and 25mph and then sharply decreased by the next observation just a few minutes later. You can see the progression across north ga, taking about an hour to go from ffc/atlanta to athens and an hour after the wind hit here, it increased a lot in greenwood then fell back again.

I'm not sure if this was the front or maybe a gravity wave of some kind? Seems to be pretty fast for a front and I don't think i've ever seen a front only have winds blowing hard for literally 5 or 10 minutes and then stop.  Regardless, it was pretty wild.

Sounds like it might have been some sort of gravity wave.

Archived