northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's kind of deceiving. I wonder how much of the population actually has snow on the ground where they live. Maybe 20% at most.

0z GFS analysis

Oscillations:

*NAO starts off positive then trends negative through hour 135. The NAO trends positive through hour 300. The NAO trends neutral then positive at the end of the run.

*AO starts off positive then trends negative through hour 156. The AO then trends positive through hour 240. The AO then trends toward neutral through hour 312. The AO then trends slightly below neutral through the end of the run.

*PDO starts off neutral then trends positive through hour 141. The PDO then trends negative to the end of the run.  

The best chance of winter Precip appears to be between now and the 30th of December. After that things will start to warm up. Note: This is only going off of one model run and one model. 

sometimes troughs have nasty drawbacks XD

Yeah, and the 0 line doesn't even make it to Waygone.  And poor Phil gets left out again.   Goofy used to be pretty good at putting the 0 line in Cuba, if it's showing this much dry :)  I hope the models can get to where they can see something 3 days out, instead of the constant surprises, lol.  I expect we'll see some rain showing up before truncation in a few more runs. T

Shocked no one mentioned the Euro last night. Has a little disturbance rolling through on the 31st giving some of WNC some snow. Appears to be flurries across most of the state and into upstate SC. Of course it's a clipper but with a good bit of cold air aloft it could possibly squeeze out something good. Will probably change five times in the next three days. 

Shocked no one mentioned the Euro last night. Has a little disturbance rolling through on the 31st giving some of WNC some snow. Appears to be flurries across most of the state and into upstate SC. Of course it's a clipper but with a good bit of cold air aloft it could possibly squeeze out something good. Will probably change five times in the next three days. 

Yep, it digs pretty far south.  We need to see a tall PNA ridge develop.  Hopefully it will evolve.

The 0z GFS wasn't very pretty in terms of either cold or snow threats.  The 6z was better, but it still looked to warm up late in the run.

Not sure if it matches up with the ENS mean but the Euro Control has really backed off on the cold air for the past two runs.

Hmm...Euro ens mean stays colder than normal throughout the run across much of the US down to Fl, although not incredibly cold due to that it's spreading the trough out all the way past cuba and has no idea what it's doing.

This Euro control looks a little funky, just look at the last frame and tell me if you see that happening..lol

Was just looking at that.  Not sure if its really a clipper, looks like the energy scoots down the front range of the Rockies

Hmm...Euro ens mean stays colder than normal throughout the run across much of the US down to Fl, although not incredibly cold due to that it's spreading the trough out all the way past cuba and has no idea what it's doing.

This Euro control looks a little funky, just look at the last frame and tell me if you see that happening..lol

The operational Euro basically says we get a 3-5 day "cold" period, and then everything breaks down: ridge in WPac gone, the -NAO never develops and then goes major positive, and the AO is back to neutral. The stratosphere is not showing any signs of warming or weakening the polar vortex. As long as that's true, we're not going to see any real cold and stormy pattern develop given the negative features going into this year.

The operational Euro basically says we get a 3-5 day "cold" period, and then everything breaks down: ridge in WPac gone, the -NAO never develops and then goes major positive, and the AO is back to neutral. The stratosphere is not showing any signs of warming or weakening the polar vortex. As long as that's true, we're not going to see any real cold and stormy pattern develop given the negative features going into this year.

Yeah, I think Op runs are going to have their problems for a while until we get settled into this first dive of cold as it's locked, basically. Whether it's transient or sustained is still up in the air, but if I were to choose a solution I'd take the 00z Euro eps mean over the Op 100% of the time.

Yeah, I think Op runs are going to have their problems for a while until we get settled into this first dive of cold as it's locked, basically. Whether it's transient or sustained is still up in the air, but if I were to choose a solution I'd take the 00z Euro eps mean over the Op 100% of the time.

The case was never very strong for a true pattern change. What we had was the models showing a -AO, but weakly positive PNA and neutral to positive NAO. The hope was that this would be the first step of a real change to a wintry pattern, but it's becoming clear that it probably won't be. I'll bank on the OPI and snow cover, with its great correlation, over 10+ day model runs.

The case was never very strong for a true pattern change. What we had was the models showing a -AO, but weakly positive PNA and neutral to positive NAO. The hope was that this would be the first step of a real change to a wintry pattern, but it's becoming clear that it probably won't be. I'll bank on the OPI and snow cover, with its great correlation, over 10+ day model runs.

the neg talk can be a joke, i see no such thing. , when u have a pattern change it's good too look at ensembles until the op catches on .

Archived