12bet1 net
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is the 'Big One' to compare to

January 21 1985.

Surface temperatures in the NC Mountains got down to a record -34F.

Yep 1985 has been the top 8-14 day analog for a couple of days. It would be cool to break some records when people were saying torch and SE ridge!

269948_622587471104645_2091126056_s.jpgAnother soaker, where is the cold when moisture is here!!!! same old song and dance!

The theory of the Weekend Rain still rings true in the Southeast. Yet another soaker rain event is coming up, so forecasts are going to flip from partly sunny to rain soon all across Alabama, Georgia, the Caroinas and Virginia. There has been a definite tendency on the weekend rains going back all the way through late October. This was the event that looked like it would remain only in Florida, but has now pulled north, like almost all events do in the Gulf. A few spots in Georgia and the Carolinas could go over the 2" amounts again, meaning more cities are probably going to join Asheville and Macon for the wettest year on record.

601642_755583104471747_615360336_n.jpg

Lol, the best part is Goofy's gone from dry for 10 days yesterday, to a pretty good rain in 3 days today.  Looking beyond 3 days and expecting what you see is a fools errand most times, and even looking out 3 days, changes often from day to day.  The trends have been wet so I didn't believe what it said yesterday, and I'm hopeful, but cautious, about rain in 3 days...until it's in the bucket :)  It's Jan coming, and it usually finds a way to be cold..it's the moisture you need to worry about...and timing.  If Larry's 850 records were to come about, I find it hard to believe there would be any moisture around.  What you want is for the moisture to come into just cold enough, and the record lows to come in after to freeze it down.  Too cold...too dry....except for  the times I can count on one hand.   Sno Jam comes to mind where it was way cold.... low teen cold.... before, but it took forever for that cutoff to come up into it.  Those are rare according to my memory.  28 to 32 seems to be the range for most storms down here.   T

The GEFS mean looks a good bit wetter over the first few days of January than it did last night.

It had several amped up ones, which were rain for us but a couple of members gave nice events for us. The bad thing is a lot of the members with a low over the lakes that stops the cold air feed and results in a miller B type scenario north of us.

Looks like FoothillsNC isn't giving us much hope south of I-20. I guess that means winter is done in Atlanta, Birmingham, etc ?

Robert's  better than many , but asking him to nail down a 75 mile swath of something from something that isn't happening 'til who knows when, is a bit much.  The way I've always looked at it is if it's in Ga somewhere, I at least have a better chance than if its in Tenn., lol.  T

It had several amped up ones, which were rain for us but a couple of members gave nice events for us. The bad thing is a lot of the members with a low over the lakes that stops the cold air feed and results in a miller B type scenario north of us.

No doubt a product of the PV being in the wrong place, which is the product of the lack of good blocking. Hopefully, good blocking will evolve in the not to distant future.

269948_622587471104645_2091126056_s.jpgAnother soaker, where is the cold when moisture is here!!!! same old song and dance!

The theory of the Weekend Rain still rings true in the Southeast. Yet another soaker rain event is coming up, so forecasts are going to flip from partly sunny to rain soon all across Alabama, Georgia, the Caroinas and Virginia. There has been a definite tendency on the weekend rains going back all the way through late October. This was the event that looked like it would remain only in Florida, but has now pulled north, like almost all events do in the Gulf. A few spots in Georgia and the Carolinas could go over the 2" amounts again, meaning more cities are probably going to join Asheville and Macon for the wettest year on record.

601642_755583104471747_615360336_n.jpg

When is the moisture supposed to be here? There's a cold front coming through Sunday. Also the map shows 11/25/13 for 12/30/13.Am I missing something?

Raleigh and surrounding areas now in hazardous weather outlook for winter weather late tonight into tomorrow morning.

UNCERTAINTY IN THE FORECAST IS ABOVE AVERAGE DUE TO THE SUBTLE
NATURE OF THIS SYSTEM. RESIDENTS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA SHOULD
PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE FORECAST AS THE DAY PROGRESSES AND BE
PREPARED FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF LOCALLY HAZARDOUS DRIVING
CONDITIONS DURING THE MORNING HOURS OF THURSDAY DECEMBER 26.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
848 AM EST WED DEC 25 2013

NCZ008>011-025>028-040>043-075>078-084>086-088-089-261400-
GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-
CHATHAM-WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-WAYNE-RICHMOND-
SCOTLAND-HOKE-CUMBERLAND-SAMPSON-
848 AM EST WED DEC 25 2013

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

A POTENT UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL TRACK INTO THE MID ATLANTIC
LATE TONIGHT...STRENGTHENING A FRONTAL ZONE ALONG THE CAROLINA
COAST. AS A RESULT...VERY LIGHT PRECIPITATION MAY DEVELOP INLAND
OVER PORTIONS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA AROUND SUNRISE THURSDAY
MORNING. GIVEN THE ARCTIC AIRMASS IN PLACE AT THE SURFACE...ANY
LIGHT PRECIPITATION THAT DEVELOPS COULD FALL IN THE FORM OF LIGHT
FREEZING RAIN OR FREEZING DRIZZLE.

UNCERTAINTY IN THE FORECAST IS ABOVE AVERAGE DUE TO THE SUBTLE
NATURE OF THIS SYSTEM. RESIDENTS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA SHOULD
PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE FORECAST AS THE DAY PROGRESSES AND BE
PREPARED FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF LOCALLY HAZARDOUS DRIVING
CONDITIONS DURING THE MORNING HOURS OF THURSDAY DECEMBER 26.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

When is the moisture supposed to be here? There's a cold front coming through Sunday. Also the map shows 11/25/13 for 12/30/13.Am I missing something?

[/quote if we're expecting all these cold temps. where is the snow with a storm coming? gee what does it take? we're looking a cold temps until the storm decides to turn north and give us lots of moisture and now it looks like rain, what happened to cold temps. we'll never get a snowstorm.

Anyone know when we in SE start feeling the cold effects of the start warming J/B is talking about.

strategy warning will take awhile maybe a month. The ao is going negative and the pna positive. Nao might go slightly negative too. We will feel the affects of that next week and the week after.

Anyone know when we in SE start feeling the cold effects of the start warming J/B is talking about.

Probably never. JB does this SSW thing every year. I don't see how some say the SSW event last January is what caused the very cold March. Does it really take that long for the effects to reach us?

I'm surprised it's quiet in here with a potentially minor ZR/IP across NC. Last year, it would have been like 10 pages just to see a few sleet pellets or a 2 hour delay from freezing drizzle.

Archived