• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
General Obs and Banter Away - Will It Be A November to Remember?

HimoorWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do some lose most of their leaves and others just won't let go? I happen to have some that won't let go. 

My folks have some oaks like that.  It takes all winter for them to be blown or drop off.  I don't know if it's a variety or just certain trees but you see it in the woods occasionally.  I hate the sound of those leaves on a nice wintry day with a little wind.  Evergreens sound much better.

My folks have some oaks like that.  It takes all winter for them to be blown or drop off.  I don't know if it's a variety or just certain trees but you see it in the woods occasionally.  I hate the sound of those leaves on a nice wintry day with a little wind.  Evergreens sound much better.

I mean it hasn't been all that cold here locally so perhaps all this changes this week. I'm just surprised how tenacious these leaves are. I lived with oaks before, but don't remember it like this. I'll found out in a couple of weeks because lots of them do hold onto at least some of their leaves until budding pushes them off in the Spring.

Somehow I live in a spot where most of my leaves are down by Halloween or just after, with the exception of a few shrub type plants.  I can see in the woods a few oaks that hold on but we have 99% maples.  When I drive around - just up and down the hill from where I live (within minutes) I can see other properties with 33% or more leaves on trees still.  It's like that every year here

Oh I know that one. Radio sucks.

You have to stay low on the FM dial these days.  One of the things I miss about living in Boston was the college stations.

Western MA has WRSI (The River) which is usually great adult oriented indie rock etc but even they have succumbed to playing "Royals"  multiple times a day.  They did the same thing with that Daft Punk "up all night to get lucky" song.

A friend sent an email to our group this morning,  "The 2013-2014 winter battle:  GFS 1, Euro 0"

Granted it is not technically winter....  But, it was in regards to our coastal from 4 or 5 days back, when the Euro was stem-wound and throwing fantasy snow bombs from DC to Maine.  Actually, in fairness I only saw one run that really targeted the I-95 corridor, but there were enough other runs in that era selling stronger, closer cyclogenesis to raise the indictment acknowledgement. 

In fact, quite objectively, the GFS blew away the competition on this thing.   Now ... it may be kind of an unfair scenario for the Euro. If the pattern has a back-ground sort of tendency for progressive characteristic, than the GFS' (in have somewhat of an on-going bias in that regard) might be given an advantage in those time ranges.  And vice-versa, should the flow become more blocked and meridional, the GFS may not catch on as quickly. 

But those are no excuses.  We work with what the models give us.  There may be other reasons/ways to validate the Euro's performance, making it appear better ... However, barring a miracle there will be no storm, and for that, the GFS wins on this particular series of events.  

The winter of 2010-11 didn't get going here until like 2 or 3 days before Christmas. On the 22nd I believe we had a sneaky little event that dropped a couple inches in this area and more towards the cape, which kicked off that incredible stretch.

That year was a gradual pattern change if I remember and we had several Rainers well into mid December before that little snow event a few days before the holiday

That winter was epic, feet of snow on the ground for over a month. It's only November, and it may take time. Just a reminder one of our best winters started around Christmas

Archived