• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
General Obs and Banter Away - Will It Be A November to Remember?

HimoorWx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's still some good music out there, like Zac Brown Band, but most of it isn't played on mainstream radio.

You've really got to start getting into rock.I've never seen or heard of anyone your age not listening to good old rock music. Come on dude. You're young and full of life and energy. Get it out rock with it out

You've really got to start getting into rock.I've never seen or heard of anyone your age not listening to good old rock music. Come on dude. You're young and full of life and energy. Get it out rock with it out

I'm into groups like U2, 3 Doors Down, and classic rock... just not the heavy metal stuff that you love.

the music scene is just way different now compared to the 90s. hip hop scene is meh overall but there is still good music out there . 'indie' / 'alt' rock probably has some of the better music coming out, but the sound is much different now compared to the 'heavier' sound /tone of many 90s bands .. bands like grizzly bear, the xx, passion pit, the black keys, the shins, modest mouse, muse all make good music imo .. I'm just trying to defend this period of music as a college kid haha .. but i can also understand how this period doesn't compare favorably to the 90s. it is tough to beat the rise of alt music bands like tool, nin, nirvana etc + imo the golden era of hip hop

I saw them in 1991. So 20+ years ago. Classic rock

I would have loved to see them must have been fun. So I guess if something is on WZLX it's classic rock, glad I got confirmation for that was just arguing that the other day. It happens to music over the years...103.3 used to be the Beach boys and temptations...now it's hard to find doowop on the radio or anything from that era

I think there is a lot of truth to that. When looking at a pretty remarkable period of music that existed not terribly long ago, today's music won't look great. There are a lot of great artists out there though who when we look back another twenty years from now will probably be regarded in the same way we regard the "oldies" now.

Ditto, beat me to it

As far as the music of the past decade I think the indie rock and singer-songwriter scene has thrived and produced a lot of great music just hard to access much of it through the mainstream channels.  I try to stay dialed in because I have some ties to the music business (and like to pretend I'm a hipster) but being in my mid-40's I can honestly say many of my peers haven't a clue about some of the bands I like.

The 90's were of course great for Alt- Rock but bands like the Decemberists, My Morning Jacket and Wilco have admirably carried the torch for indie rock since the hey day of Pearl Jam, Nirvana and The Smashing Pumpkins. 

I wonder if the ear bud thing is changing how we socially think about music. It is all very private now

I think it has to an extent.  The inception of recording devices began to change the music experience over a hundred years ago but the radio and live performance kept a very social and common aspect intact. 

The advent of MP3 formatting also meant the removal of the tangible physical aspect that was inherent in music - the cover and liner notes.

That in itself was something that provided a common bond among music fans.  Passing the record (or cd) around the room while listening to it to look at the lyric sheet, read the credits or look at the artwork.

There is also the whole argument about MP3 being inferior sound quality but that is debatable depending on the quality of equipment and bit rate used to rip the recording.

At home we listen to radio, play CD's and still spin vinyl.  I've never actually played an MP3 through my home stereo, only in the car.

Here's the blues and jazz section of my vinyl collection. I can't imagine listening to this stuff on MP3.  (Some of it is not even available digitally. lol) 

post-919-0-07098200-1384227158_thumb.jpg

I think it has to an extent. The inception of recording devices began to change the music experience over a hundred years ago but the radio and live performance kept a very social and common aspect intact.

The advent of MP3 formatting also meant the removal of the tangible physical aspect that was inherent in music - the cover and liner notes.

That in itself was something that provided a common bond among music fans. Passing the record (or cd) around the room while listening to it to look at the lyric sheet, read the credits or look at the artwork.

There is also the whole argument about MP3 being inferior sound quality but that is debatable depending on the quality of equipment and bit rate used to rip the recording.

At home we listen to radio, play CD's and still spin vinyl. I've never actually played an MP3 through my home stereo, only in the car.

Here's the blues and jazz section of my vinyl collection. I can't imagine listening to this stuff on MP3. (Some of it is not even available digitally. lol)

Not only are the liner notes and cover art gone but the assembly of an album of music is gone too. There used to be a flow to an album, side a and side b. Who buys an album any more? It seems like it's all about singles. Albums allowed an artist to put out music that might not become a hit single but was interesting. And what about "concept" albums? Do they even exist anymore? With the advent of playlists and shuffle any concept is lost. It's always odd when a random track from The Wall comes up. I think albums themselves are art, not just a collection of songs. Anyway, old man rant over, you kids get off my lawn yadda, yadda etc.

Not only are the liner notes and cover art gone but the assembly of an album of music is gone too. There used to be a flow to an album, side a and side b. Who buys an album any more? It seems like it's all about singles. Albums allowed an artist to put out music that might not become a hit single but was interesting. And what about "concept" albums? Do they even exist anymore? With the advent of playlists and shuffle any concept is lost. It's always odd when a random track from The Wall comes up. I think albums themselves are art, not just a collection of songs. Anyway, old man rant over, you kids get off my lawn yadda, yadda etc.

Side A and B?  :huh:

Some of the European metal bands that I listen to still have "concept" albums.

I'm already super jealous of the snow. I know its November and I need to pull my head out of my azz. I guess last couple years in MD have me negative

It's ok, so am I.  2 out of the past 3 years NW MA. has been the last place in SNE to see accumulating snow.  (Although I did have a trace friday.)

Are you up in Andover?  I was at Merrimack from 1986-90 and went through some brutal winters wrt to lack of snow.

It's ok, so am I. 2 out of the past 3 years NW MA. has been the last place in SNE to see accumulating snow. (Although I did have a trace friday.)

Are you up in Andover? I was at Merrimack from 1986-90 and went through some brutal winters wrt to lack of snow.

Yup, i live across the street in Royal Crest. I can see where this area would have a subsidence issue in some big coastals. Ray is close to here and it happens to him often if he isn't close enough to coastal front. Here's to hoping I can do better than you! I didn't see snow accum the last two years in Baltimore.

Archived