bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
September 2013 OBS

wx n of atl

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to pick up a very respectable 1.48 inches of rain yesterday.  It was pretty drizzly all day, but the rain really began in earnest around 4 PM.  A nice heavy rainfall, of varying intensities, then commenced for the next 6 or 7 hours.  The rain continued for a much longer period than I was originally anticipating looking at radar trends.  On the east side of the Apps, the backside was much slower in moving off.  In fact, it appeared as if a little complex seemed to redevelop in the lee of the Apps and kept regenerating itself.  Yesterday's rain was a magnificent blessing, as it was the first rainfall I had recorded in IMBY in 20 days.  It should definitely help with the germinating and growth of all the new grass seed that I put down recently.

1.48" yesterday - all after about 5:00PM. Looks like we were on the lower end in the area - there's some crazy totals from Western Johnston and SE Wake... from 3.05" to 4.83" (per CoCoRaHS maps). 3 day total IMBY is 2.68", 4.01" for the month, and we're somewhere near our yearly total now, sitting at 46.16" to date.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA
329 PM EDT SUN SEP 22 2013

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR KING IN STOKES COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA...

LOCATION...KING IN STOKES COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA
DATE...09/21/2013
ESTIMATED TIME...558 PM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF1
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...90 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...90 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...0.61 MILES
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN
NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG VA HAS CONFIRMED A
TORNADO OCCURRED NEAR KING IN STOKES COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA ON
SEPTEMBER 21ST 2013.

THE TORNADO INITIALLY TOUCHED DOWN NEAR THE STOKES AND FORSYTH
COUNTY LINES ALONG NEWSOME ROAD...AND DAMAGED A
SUNROOM...KNOCKING DOWN THE EXTERIOR WALLS TO THE NORTHWEST.
SEVERAL TREES WERE ALSO SNAPPED OFF IN THIS AREA. FROM THIS
POINT...THE TORNADO MOVED TO THE NORTHEAST...COMPLETELY DESTROYING
A BARN AND UPROOTING SEVERAL TREES NEAR KATES FARM ROAD AND
INDUSTRIAL DRIVE. THE TORNADO CONTINUED TO MOVE IN A NORTHEASTERLY
DIRECTION FOR AN ADDITIONAL THIRD OF A MILE...CROSSING HIGHWAY
52...DAMAGING THE GARAGE DOOR OF AN INDUSTRIAL OUTBUILDING AND
DAMAGED SEVERAL MORE TREES. THE TORNADO LIFTED NEAR CAMPBELL
DRIVE. IN TOTAL THREE STRUCTURES WERE DAMAGED BY THIS TORNADO.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WOULD LIKE TO THANK STOKES COUNTY
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT...AND THE CITY OF KING POLICE AND FIRE
DEPARTMENTS FOR THEIR ASSISTANCE IN COMPLETING THIS DAMAGE SURVEY.

post-130-0-81108800-1379953185_thumb.jpg

More than 2" of rain fell in the Plott Balsam Mtns of Jackon County, NC Saturday along with sustained winds out of the SSW in excess of 40 knots. The favorable wind flow created good orthographic enhancement conditions and doubled the rainfall in the higher elevations compared to the nearby valley locations downstream in Haywood County.

A NWS map shows a smoothed down version of the actual precipitation patterns but you can see the 2"+ value near Balsam/Mtns near Waynesville vs the lower numbers in other parts of Haywood County.

The excessive rainfall numbers in the Piedmont areas were caused by some lingering instability that interacted with a meso-low that formed along the cold front as it slowly pushed through.

post-9361-0-52224900-1379956158_thumb.jp

Rather cool outside today. 1pm and 66 degrees. Nws calling for 72 but that maybe hard to get to with a quick drop into the 40s tonight.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA
329 PM EDT SUN SEP 22 2013

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR KING IN STOKES COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA...

Darn ground truth after all. Rather small but intense quick hitting tornado.That band of storms on radar didn't appear too impressive imo.

MHX keeps lowering the low for tonight  calling for 47 and they always are to high on good radiational cooling nights, might get 45ish or even lower 40's if these clouds get on out and the wind lays all the way up. PGV tends to really radiate well oftan making it one of the colder locations east of RAH on nights like tonight.

MHX keeps lowering the low for tonight  calling for 47 and they always are to high on good radiational cooling nights, might get 45ish or even lower 40's if these clouds get on out and the wind lays all the way up. PGV tends to really radiate well oftan making it one of the colder locations east of RAH on nights like tonight.

Well, y'all always do get the jackpot with wintry weather these days, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Well, y'all always do get the jackpot with wintry weather these days, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Meh the clouds win......was hoping to walk out of work this morning and have it in the 40's but the temps have bounced a few degrees with the clouds rolling in.....made it to 50 so we didnt even get to the forecasted low of 48 :(

Man once the heat broke it really broke for good. It's been nice and cool for the last couple of weeks and it looks to stay that way:

For my back yard:

• Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. Calm wind.
  • Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind.
  • Wednesday Night A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
  • Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Northeast wind 5 to 7 mph.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph.
  • Friday Sunny, with a high near 73.
  • Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
  • Saturday Sunny, with a high near 72.
  • Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 52.
  • Sunday Sunny, with a high near 72.
  • Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
  • Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.
  • Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.
  • Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76

By the radar estimates, it looks like Cold Rain did pretty well. Ground truth?

Sorry I'm so late getting to this. I left the house Sunday morning and all the ditches were completely full. I honestly didn't think it had rained that much overnight. But after watching the radar loop, I checked the radar estimates and it had my location at 3-4 inches. So, I'd say that's pretty close to reality. I really need a weather station.

Same around here too. I hope it stays just like this... bc my wallet will really love the electric bill this month. Though in all reality its probably a sure bet the AC will not run again till next spring here in this house.

Man once the heat broke it really broke for good. It's been nice and cool for the last couple of weeks and it looks to stay that way:

For my back yard:

• Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. Calm wind.
  • Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind.
  • Wednesday Night A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
  • Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Northeast wind 5 to 7 mph.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. Northeast wind 3 to 6 mph.
  • Friday Sunny, with a high near 73.
  • Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
  • Saturday Sunny, with a high near 72.
  • Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 52.
  • Sunday Sunny, with a high near 72.
  • Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
  • Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.
  • Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.
  • Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76

Sorry I'm so late getting to this. I left the house Sunday morning and all the ditches were completely full. I honestly didn't think it had rained that much overnight. But after watching the radar loop, I checked the radar estimates and it had my location at 3-4 inches. So, I'd say that's pretty close to reality. I really need a weather station.

Dude, you need to ****ing pay attention on the one day a year you get halfway interesting weather. You realize you'll have to wait till next June to see anything interest again?

Meh the clouds win......was hoping to walk out of work this morning and have it in the 40's but the temps have bounced a few degrees with the clouds rolling in.....made it to 50 so we didnt even get to the forecasted low of 48 :(

Clouds killed us here too. Bottomed out at 53 instead of 48. Setting up a pattern for the winter, I guess.

Clouds killed us here too. Bottomed out at 53 instead of 48. Setting up a pattern for the winter, I guess.

LOL I thought the same thing nothing like a few clouds moving in late at night to bump the temp a few degrees to change that front end snow chance into another rainstorm lol.....they are going 49 tonight so hoping for a 45. My grandmother who lives in the Springfield Mass area hit 36 last night......

Dude, you need to ****ing pay attention on the one day a year you get halfway interesting weather. You realize you'll have to wait till next June to see anything interest again?

Dude...

That's straight on truth right there. :) I had the little man all to myself this weekend. Wore me out. When he finally went to sleep, it didn't take me long to follow. Slept through the whole thing. And like you said, that's probably it for a long time!

Per Raleigh a.m. discussion:

EXPECT ANY LIGHT RAIN IN THE WRN PIEDMONT TO HOLD
OFF UNTIL AFTER 4 PM WITH THE LOW LEVELS REMAINING FAIRLY DRY
THROUGH THAT TIME... ALTHOUGH PATCHY LIGHT SPRINKLES MAY OCCUR IN
THE LATE AFTERNOON.

However looking at radar appears Triad will see a couple hours of rain here this a.m., unless this turns out to be virga which it very well could. Need some more rain so it's obvious I'm rooting against the ole forecast office .

southeast_loop.gif

Archived