• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September 2013 OBS

wx n of atl

Well still only at a T. Still sitting in a donut shape hole :whistle: .  Appears to be the storms are moving south and eventually connecting. I was noticing earlier how it want to split into 2 lines. Like a surfaced base and upper level boundary... which really may lead to more of a elevated rain instead of deeper storms type setup. ;)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not fall. It's summer still.

:D True that. Not until the winds change.

Just about a full a line  of heavy rain stretching from Rocky Mount NC to Montgomery Al on radar.

Tonight is going to be wet in SE Ga. Front boundary coming with storms forming along outflows from the east on the coast. Next couple hours should spark up some.

Edit: Should note the wind flow. Surface low near Montgomery, AL  extending to

Columbus,Ga.

I'm not a real fan of that.  It's based on temp alone and just allows weenies to get excited even earlier.

I'm glad you said something.  I was getting pretty excited.

They are running the race up the road.  Odd that instead of a roar doing a doppler, it's pretty constant tonight.  Some thing about the atmosphere...the humoddity/clouds/sound inversions....and other gadgity stuff.

.  Lots of times in the afternoons it distinctly comes and goes...that great roar.  But tonight it's like being next to the Atl airport.

Got a few drops this afternoon late.  A lot of clouds, and some pretty spectacular booming off to the west. 

And the roar is gone.  It's either raining up there, or it's over. T

From a friend of a friend somewhere in the Raleigh area

just went out and checked our rain gauge. We received 5.1" of rain since it started about 6 this evening. At the height of the storm, the little ditch behind our house was a raging torrent of rapids almost 10' wide with little white caps. I've seen the ditch turn into a stream before, but nothing like that. I sure wish we could have sent some of this rain to the folks battling fires out west.

I'm glad you said something.  I was getting pretty excited.

They are running the race up the road.  Odd that instead of a roar doing a doppler, it's pretty constant tonight.  Some thing about the atmosphere...the humoddity/clouds/sound inversions....and other gadgity stuff.

.  Lots of times in the afternoons it distinctly comes and goes...that great roar.  But tonight it's like being next to the Atl airport.

Got a few drops this afternoon late.  A lot of clouds, and some pretty spectacular booming off to the west. 

And the roar is gone.  It's either raining up there, or it's over. T

I've sent for help.  When they get there don't be afraid. They just wear all white because they like ice cream.

Just got back from a night at Roan Mountain State Park in NE TN.  We got rained on yesterday afternoon.  We hiked up to Round Bald from Carver's Gap (border of NC and TN) this afternoon with the family.  Flew a kite in awesome winds!  Low clouds the entire time, but no rain fell.

Best storm of the summer just beginning to wind down.  Top rain rate was 6.55 per hour, several power blinks, wind probably between 35 and 40.

Checked the gauge at home and saw I picked up 0.74 inch yesterday afternoon IMBY.  A wet start to September.  Just barely beat you, jburns.  My top rain rate for that storm was 7.05 in/hr.  Of course, that was only time during any 10-minute period yesterday that it fell that hard.

Picked up 0.32. Missed the heaviest rains to the west. Best storm ever wind wise. How did that not have a severe thunderstorm warning or a special weather statement?

No power still in our neighborhood.

I am convinced you live within the same zip code as hell. Severe heat, monster storms and devilish winds. You gotta be close man!

I am convinced you live within the same zip code as hell. Severe heat, monster storms and devilish winds. You gotta be close man!

:lmao: :lmao:

Power is back now. Across the street they are still in the dark. Still looks like a blackout in the area. GPC outage map shows 698 customers still without power across the area. The estimated time for power restoration is 2:15 for the rest of the area.

Dry and humid has been the rule for the most part around here. Storms look nice in the eastern part of NC. Only interesting thing around here is old outflow boundaries on radar and puffy cumulonus clouds. According to the windflow the front came through about 2 hours ago. Still a slight N/NW breeze with a 2 degree drop in dps.

I don't know about the rest of you but Im looking foward to Thursdays dry front. This weekend should be nice... low dps, temps in the mid 50s lows and mid 70s for the highs.

It was cloudy, then I head thunder, and the sun came out and it began to spit rain.  Saw maybe 74 drops.  Nothing in the pot.  Still .02 for the month.  That's 6 out the the last 6 precipitation events where it fell with the sun out.  With amounts going from nothing to .02, and up to .2 last week.  Somehow I can't think this is a good sign for the cursed lands.  Tony

Archived