Newest Member
    Toothache
Tropical Disco 2013 SNE

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, will look at this again in August.

Slightly ot, Every hurricane season i wonder if this is the year a cat 4/cat5 goes over key west/ outer keys. While this may be morbid thinking, i think that is an area with highest threat of loss of life, bc those people (or at least half) won't leave no matter what and a barrier island so narrow and low lying will stand little chance for survivors in a cat 4/5 scenario. I think the numbers would be disturbingly high.

A lot of experts say its more likely than usual

@DanielleNECN: Hurricane season is here! What New Englander's should be bracing for...it may surprise you: http://t.co/9rcufm7wtL

"We should expect to be hit by CAT 3 hurricane – one, two, or maybe more – that's how we should plan every hurricane season"

Plan on getting hit by multiple Cat 3 hurricanes?  Did you write the script for that Kevin?  lol

"We should expect to be hit by CAT 3 hurricane – one, two, or maybe more – that's how we should plan every hurricane season"

Plan on getting hit by multiple Cat 3 hurricanes?  Did you write the script for that Kevin?  lol

Dave Vallee is terrific..such a good guy and very knowledgeable. I think he's trying to convey the notion of just being prepared..especially living near coastal regions. 

last year set the bar pretty high

Certainly for NYC and surrounding company...they probably won't see anything worse than Sandy for a long time with the track that took.

But for SNE, the bullets have generally been dodged outside of SW CT coastline.

last year set the bar pretty high

Definitely... While I know this is somewhat of a touchy subject for the NYC crowd, I really loved the wind aspect of Sandy (I registered an 88 mph gust in southern Brooklyn) maybe we can get a small but powerful hurricane coming in at low tide :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with telling people to be prepared for the worst before a season starts. That is common sense if you live in an area prone to extreme conditions if a hurricane were to make landfall. (i.e. have generator, window boarding materials, batteries, candles, etc)

The issue is hyping a storm telling people they are in imminent danger when that isn't the case. Its one thing to tell people to be prepared before a season starts, its an entirely different scenario telling people to evacuate or take additional preparations for imminent danger...the latter which can really hamper people's lives. Do it enough times in reckless fashion and people will not heed the warnings when it actually is time to be serious.

Certainly for NYC and surrounding company...they probably won't see anything worse than Sandy for a long time with the track that took.

yeah really irene and sandy were not much of a problem for most of SNE....in relative terms. 

Dave Vallee is terrific..such a good guy and very knowledgeable. I think he's trying to convey the notion of just being prepared..especially living near coastal regions. 

Yeah, but just one CAT 3 hurricane like '38 would be paralyzing for the region... I can't even imagine.

Definitely... While I know this is somewhat of a touchy subject for the NYC crowd, I really loved the wind aspect of Sandy (I registered an 88 mph gust in southern Brooklyn) maybe we can get a small but powerful hurricane coming in at low tide :)

As a central nj resident, the wind aspect was impressive, will probably never witness winds that strong in my lifetime unless Florida is an option.

East coast hurricanes are usually never going to be small due to usually baroclinic/frontal interactions.

Honestly, how reliable really are these forecasts? I hope people aren't already boarding up there house for hurricanes. This is pretty much as up in the air as a yearly snowfall forecast in the fall. The warmer Atlantic is undeniable, but in no means is that a guarantee of the Long Island Express redux. We had a pretty fair hurricane with Sandy this past year, it is likely statistically rare (except for periods in the 1950's) for back to back hurricane strikes of Sandy's magnitude. Do remember Irene hit the year before Sandy, and another strike this year would make three years in a row.

This.

If Irene and Sandy have shown us anything it's that as a whole we are not completely prepared for a direct hit from a hurricane.  Like we saw with Sandy, our coastline is not only incredibly susceptible to major destruction but it's really a ticking time bomb.  The number of beach houses and increased population and development right along the immediate coastline is just increasing the likelihood of major devastation one day.  

You have to wonder how prepared people actually are for these types of scenarios.  People around here see what happens to other parts of the country and world from hurricanes but in reality, when you compare SNE to like the Gulf Coast building codes certainly aren't as strict here as they are down south and many structures in SNE are very old and probably not quite sturdy.  Not to mention the thousands and thousands of trees we have.  

It's not pretty to think about but one day we're going to get hit again and it will not be pretty.   

I wonder how rare the LIE 38' cat 3 landfall was. Can it happen again? Or is it in the blizzard of 78' type of lure that seems like we struggle to touch in intensity. I think the atmosphere has the ability to repeat itself, we just haven't been around or will be long enough to maybe see it. If it happens once, it can happen twice. 

I wonder how rare the LIE 38' cat 3 landfall was. Can it happen again? Or is it in the blizzard of 78' type of lure that seems like we struggle to touch in intensity. I think the atmosphere has the ability to repeat itself, we just haven't been around or will be long enough to maybe see it. If it happens once, it can happen twice. 

It's pretty rare...but if it happened once it can happen again.  There are also stories way, way back of what sounds like major hurricanes hitting SNE so while it's rare it can happen and it probably will one day.  The difference between now and '38 is a much bigger population and built up lands.  

Certainly for NYC and surroundiing company...they probably won't see anything worse than Sandy for a long time with the track that took.

uh why does everyone forget about the multi million dollar damage to the RI south coast. Surge like Carol

uh why does everyone forget about the multi million dollar damage to the RI south coast. Surge like Carol

i think will way saying "for the most part" regarding s ri, yes some ocean front establishments were wash'd away and some flooding did occur downtown, but s ri did dodge a bullet for the most part. Imagine if sandy's turn was nw and right into long island.

Yeah I mean some of the exposed parts of RI got nailed...but the surge had a different trajectory than Carol or '38...it was more being washed WNW...a direct hit by a 'cane would be so much worse into the bay and areas near Newport. So in that sense they dodged quite a bullet.

And overall wind damage was nothing like direct hit 'canes on SNE.

Rhode Island is New England's forgotten state

ya it so tiny, ri has a few great beaches and one spot has best swell action (in right setup) of anywhere i know on east coast. I love to go there for hurricane swells from the sse/se. If you like to see giant swells do urself a favor and go to a RI beach w s/se swell exposure. Elbow of cape thru truro can do well also in se swells. Pym to hampton doesnt seem much hurricane swell and if they do, its usually weaker wrap around swell. Go up to maine for somemore se swell exposure. Just look at arcadia national park several years ago (from HURR. BILL ) with 20-30 foot swells with that large major cane, you tube vids r amazing

This. A lot of it is happening here too. There's a overwhelming and unnecessary amount of media attention in NJ compared to LI and SNE in reference to Sandy. Not that NJ didn't get hit hard, it did, but they act like the NJ coast was the only place effected, and NYC. 

This. A lot of it is happening here too. There's a overwhelming and unnecessary amount of media attention in NJ compared to LI and SNE in reference to Sandy. Not that NJ didn't get hit hard, it did, but they act like the NJ coast was the only place effected, and NYC. 

I don't think anyuone forgets it. My original comment is that most of SNE has been dodging bullets the last 20 years...and its true. There's been bad damage on parts of the south coast during Irene and Sandy, but the majority of the region has been spared. Wind damage has been fairly minimal and certianly further east on CC and parts of the eastern RI inlets have been largely spared compared to what an actual direct hit would do.

I think a lot of people easily forget just what a direct hit can do in those spots.

Archived