Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Tropical Disco 2013 SNE

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not with a gust to 186 at Blue Hill...lol. Take those maps with a grain of salt.

There was less timber in eastern MA...esp back then when a lot of what is now suburban Boston was farms. So "volume of timber damage" will be less with less timber to damage in the first place.

Actual damage was:

n1938dam.gif

There was less timber in eastern MA...esp back then when a lot of what is now suburban Boston was farms. So "volume of timber damage" will be less with less timber to damage in the first place.

Actual damage was:

n1938dam.gif

Structural damage wasn't F2 though... I imagine a lot of the tree damage that was "F2" like was from an hour of monster winds with saturated roots from a flooding situation that was soon to become record-setting.

I notice that alot of the "actual damage" stops at the RI border.  Is this a reporting issue?  Or was this due to Rhode Island being alot less populated at the time?  The thousands of pictures I've seen from all over Rhode Island indicate that this would be at least F1 widespread damage across the state, at the very least.  Houses were destroyed as north as Woonsocket

Actual damage was:

n1938dam.gif

Yeah I know a lot of it was farmland, but it just looked a little low. Not that it matter anyways, we all know how horrible the storm was.

I notice that alot of the "actual damage" stops at the RI border.  Is this a reporting issue?  Or was this due to Rhode Island being alot less populated at the time?  The thousands of pictures I've seen from all over Rhode Island indicate that this would be at least F1 widespread damage across the state, at the very least.  Houses were destroyed as north as Woonsocket

Looks like the March 7th dryslot...lol.

Structural damage wasn't F2 though... I imagine a lot of the tree damage that was "F2" like was from an hour of monster winds with saturated roots from a flooding situation that was soon to become record-setting.

I was wondering that...is that structural damage and tree damage? F2 damage would do quite a number on homes and businesses over that widespread of an area.

I dunno, ORH had a lot of structural damage that is probably at least close to F2 if it wasn't actually F2 damage. I've always wished the airport had been built by 1938 to have hourly obs instead of just the coop which didnt report wind speeds.

hurricanechurch.jpg

hurricane1938a.jpg

I dunno, ORH had a lot of structural damage that is probably at least close to F2 if it wasn't actually F2 damage. I've always wished the airport had been built by 1938 to have hourly obs instead of just the coop which didnt report wind speeds.

hurricanechurch.jpg

hurricane1938a.jpg

possible brief spinups too

• 2 weeks later...

The surge was devastating @ Swifts beach / Onset etc. Many homes were destroyed. Downtown Wareham was under about 6ft of water

Yeah, that was vicious surge for Buzzards Bay, relatively speaking,  given it was low tide and also astronomically low tides.  The surge along the Upper Cape was only about half of 1954 Carol, though.

I just got done reading A Wind to Shake the World. Excellent book about '38. My grandmother told me about her experience. She walked by a cemetery in Sturbridge (My great grandfather Joseph R. Burgess was superintendent of the schools at the time. He has an elementary school named after him.) She said you could see the skulls and skeletons dislodged by the trees.

What about Donna of '60? I know it caused significant damage in SE Mass.

Then there was the double threat in '61:

Esther, which made that insane loop south of Nantucket. And there's the forgotten one: Frances. It moved into the Gulf of Maine and turned right up the Bay of Fundy.

Also, Alma of '62. Passed quite close to ACK.

Archived