• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
For Those About To Sweat ...We Salute You..Heat and Humidity

Damage In Tolland

Lol at window fans. That is so hick ish. It's 2013 not 1913. Spend the money and be cool and comfortable instead of being hot and blowing 73 degree dew point air on yourself while your legs are stuck to sheets. That is just laughable

We have bedroom AC units, but the rest of our house really doesn't get that hot, so it's not necessary except for sleeping. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July '11 had that one miserable night where we radiated with dews in the low/mid 70s, but most of the time we will dip into the 60s up here with rad cooling conditions. Most of the bad nights are when we stay a little mixed with < 10mph winds and we hover around 70F all night. LCI is worse with that being near the lake.

My parent's place radiates real well even by the lake. Many times it's like 68 by 9pm or so. In fact, there is a bit of a mtn-lake breeze at night where you sometimes can feel the air move towards the center of the lake. Warmer lake water by conduction warms the air and rises, while the cooler air flowing off the mtns moves in to replace it. Kind of cool.

Where I live now is by far the most oppressive place I've been at, in the summer. Maybe the bricks of HFD or downtown BOS beat it...but this place is an oven....and it's nothing like a concrete jungle. Just inland enough to avoid seabreeze and perhaps UHI enough not to radiate. 

There's nothing like enjoying a heat wave from a well air conditioned room.

I will go my 7th straight summer here w/o A/C. I can probably count on both hands the amount of days where I'd say I truly needed one. If I was in the city I'd probably have one, but a window fan at night is just enough to cool it off to sleep at night.

Yeah never have had AC since living in Stowe the last 4 summers.  I will admit it was nice to have in BTV when I lived there because they don't cool off at night.  Often in the summer the difference at 6am from BTV and MVL will be like 10 degrees or more.

We get down into the 40s at night almost as often as we have nights in the 60s....average July low is like mid-50s, which is cool enough with a window fan.

Where I live now is by far the most oppressive place I've been at, in the summer. Maybe the bricks of HFD or downtown BOS beat it...but this place is an oven....and it's nothing like a concrete jungle. Just inland enough to avoid seabreeze and perhaps UHI enough not to radiate. 

BTV is pretty awful for that, too...right in downtown near the lake.  That place just does not radiate at all.  I remember many a night of lows 70F or greater.  Meanwhile MVL/MPV will be like 55F while BTV is 70F.  It makes a big difference in terms of sleeping weather. 

I just looked and last July had BTV averaging 7F higher than MVL at night even though the average highs were only 2F different.  Window fan is really all thats needed out this way, when living in BTV I loved having an AC.

Tonight might be one of those nights with a decent difference between the Champlain Valley and the mountain valleys.

Forecast for low 30s here tonight with Frost Advisory in the valley just SW of Morrisville between the two ridgelines.

Let the torch begin.

image.png

For Blizz though... big, big changes on the way for a couple days.  Doesn't look to last that long (at least up this way) with BTV calling for cooler and wetter conditions Sunday/Monday.

THE MAIN HIGHLIGHT FOR THE PERIOD WILL BE THE WARMING
TREND AS MEAN 925MB TEMPS RISE ABOVE +20C FOR THURSDAY THROUGH
SATURDAY SUPPORTING TEMPS WELL INTO THE 80S TO LOCALLY NEAR 90
POSSIBLE IN THE CHAMPLAIN AND SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEYS. THIS WILL BE
IN STARK CONTRAST TO LAST FRIDAY/SATURDAY WHERE MAX TEMPS HOVERED
ONLY IN THE 40S..AND THIS COMING END OF THE WEEK WILL LIKELY
DOUBLE THOSE VALUES.
CONDITIONS DO TURN COOLER AND WETTER THOUGH
GOING INTO SUNDAY AS MONDAY AS A COLD FRONT WILL BRING A RENEWAL
OF WIDESPREAD SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS.

Nothing like the swamp lands here on LI during the summer. Unless you live in the Pine Barrens around KFOK in the summer, you're fooked. It's bad here especially since I'm very close to the ocean. Yes the ocean cools us off a bit, but not enough and sometimes increases the heat index from the more humid marine layer on those hot and dry summer days. My average lows for July the past couple of years at my station are 70.2F (2011) and 69.9F (2012). Dews avg. around 66-68F but there are plenty of days when it's in the 70's, especially after the sea breeze front passes. Mostly use the A/C about every other night, even with a fan and windows open, for some reason my rooms jumps to 80F at night (probably because of all the electronics). With that said, I'm not really looking forward to this heat wave, hopefully our lows will at least cool into the 60's with on shore flow.

Probably use AC in the bedroom 5-7 days a year. Having shade over the house saves a ton of energy.

We weatherized/insulated big time 2 years ago and that really helped in keeping the house cooler. Just gotta' be religious about opening windows wide at night and then closing them and pulling the curtains closed in direct sun windows.

A/C is nice to have at the ready though.

Lol at window fans. That is so hick ish. It's 2013 not 1913. Spend the money and be cool and comfortable instead of being hot and blowing 73 degree dew point air on yourself while your legs are stuck to sheets. That is just laughable

This

The dews kill me. I like it frigid at night.

And this. I'd rather sleep in 60F then 78F. AC is on most nights during the summer...but maybe I will think differently when I actually pay for it. lol

Most folks like higher dews..not sure what you're getting at

I've never heard someone say that they like higher dp's.  If anything, I think most of the general population likes it warm but I never hear anything but complaints when it gets humid as higher dp's arrive.

On the other hand, I know you're poking for a response, so there you go.

75-80* with a dew in the upper 60s, low 70s is heavenly, especially with a few clouds thrown in. Good for old joints and muscles...

as kev ages and the wear and tear from running take hold, his passion for high dewpoints seems to increase. I wonder how big a factor that is for other high dew lovers.

" There are certain individuals who have a low tolerance to heat and need careful supervision by coaches. Those with heavier builds possess a lower ratio between skin surface area and body mass than those with more linear builds. This is a disadvantage for heat removal. High levels of body fat also encourage heat storage. Fat tissue has a lower specific heat than lean tissue and therefore, absorbs heat more readily. Individuals with a high level of endurance fitness tolerate hot conditions much better than those who are unfit." http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol36/rushall1.htm

It really helps make folks feel good and energized. Helps the skin with moisture and you're able to not worry about getting a chill at nighttime

Not this folk, but we all have different preferences.

Our bedroom mini-AC goes in only if we anticipate an extended HHH peruiod, exceedingly rare here. I've recorded only one morning low 70 or milder in 15 yr here, July 19, 2005. (Farmington COOP, not in a frost pocket, has recorded 6 during that time, all 70 or 71. They've recorded 34 minima 70+ over their 120 yr of obs.) Even 65+ isn't all that common, 33 times over those 15 yr at my place. Might have a shot at #34 later this week, but odds are against it.

Archived