• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
For Those About To Sweat ...We Salute You..Heat and Humidity

Damage In Tolland

I'm not sure I'd put Memorial Day 2013 at the same level in rarity as the EF3 tornado on 6/1/11 or the Summer 2009 record cold/rain. This past weekend was a much more isolated event with much smaller effects region-wide. For most, it was just a chilly spring day.

I dunno...even at the summits you have to back to 1967 to find 6" of snow so late in the season and this storm had 1-3 feet of snow in the elevations. There's nothing in the historical record close to those amounts (even for 4000ft) this late in the season. 1-4 inch amounts are one thing, but a 36 hour snowstorm measured in feet is something that certainly doesn't happen with any frequency.

I feel F-3 tornadoes come by more often than those snowfall amounts. There was that F-3 north of ALB in May 1998 which although not New England, is pretty close geographically to the Springfield one.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't putting them in the same rarity...but they are all very rare. And actually I'd probably disagree with your premise that Memorial Day weekend snow in CNE/NNE isn't as rare as an EF3 tornado in SNE. In fact, its probably rarer...like a 1 in 40-50 year event.

On that token, for most, 6/1/11 or 7/10/89 or 6/9/53 were just hot summer days with some thunderstorms. Most didn't actually experience the tornado.

I wasn't just talking about return time but also impact...I think we'd all agree that the 6/1/11 tornado or the record cold/wet summer in 2009 had a much greater impact than a snow event relegated to 2000' in Northern New England that quickly melted. I agree that it's pretty hard to get snow this late in the season, although as discussed at length, the event didn't live up to what we thought it might deliver. 

I wasn't just talking about return time but also impact...I think we'd all agree that the 6/1/11 tornado or the record cold/wet summer in 2009 had a much greater impact than a snow event relegated to 2000' in Northern New England that quickly melted. I agree that it's pretty hard to get snow this late in the season, although as discussed at length, the event didn't live up to what we thought it might deliver.

Well by nature some events are more impactful than others. A run of the mill 6-10" snowstorm that occurs during the afternoon rush hour has far more "impact" than many record breaking events with much longer return times.

Going purely on return time which measures the rarity of an event, snow on Memorial Day weekend in NNE/CNE is considerably rarer than an EF3 tornado in SNE even though that is also a rare event. June/July 2009 was the coldest couplet of those months for ORH/BOS on record...so by nature, that has never happened prior. Doesn't mean it had a massive impact, but it was a very anomalous period of weather.

I think i recall movin back to mass in and around aug 20, 2009. To find myself driving a uhaul in a aug noreaster with highs in low 60's. what was that summer departure wise for big 4

And August was easily the warmest month in 2009 by far. I don't remember anything of significance on 8/20, but 8/29 was miserable. I had 2" of rain and a high in the 50s.

Well yeah of course...pretty much any rare weather event in the I-95 corridor or big cities/populated region will have a bigger impact than any similar weather event or record event in CNE/NNE. But it doesn't make it any less historical from a return rate point of view.

Just like an F3 tornado that rips through towns along I-90 in southern MA vs one that hits hills and farm country in NW MA...doesn't make one or the other more rare even if one has a higher impact.

Well by nature some events are more impactful than others. A run of the mill 6-10" snowstorm that occurs during the afternoon rush hour has far more "impact" than many record breaking events with much longer return times.

Going purely on return time which measures the rarity of an event, snow on Memorial Day weekend in NNE/CNE is considerably rarer than an EF3 tornado in SNE even though that is also a rare event. June/July 2009 was the coldest couplet of those months for ORH/BOS on record...so by nature, that has never happened prior. Doesn't mean it had a massive impact, but it was a very anomalous period of weather.

Good point of view to separate impact vs return rate.

Rate of return is really interesting and definitely is different than meaningful impact. For instance Miami Beach recording snow flurries back in 1977 was very different than a Hurricane Andrew. I really have to think about the most

unusual weather event for New England in recorded history....

And August was easily the warmest month in 2009 by far. I don't remember anything of significance on 8/20, but 8/29 was miserable. I had 2" of rain and a high in the 50s.

that was most likely the day, i was just off. I just recall low 60's and winds and bein like damn this is a bit anomalous.

definitely a nice warm/hot stretch coming up. not sure we'll see much more than 92/93-ish in the hottest spots but that's plenty warm for this time of year. 

Think many spots including BOS have a shot of their 1st heatwave. Only thing to muck that up for BOS would be a very weak seabreeze.

Pretty warm 36 hours coming up later this week... even up here east of the Spine, mid-80s for highs is quite warm for this time of year.  Lows in the lower 60s though is even worse because that means it must be getting humid. 

Friday: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds around 10 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

Saturday: Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Pretty warm 36 hours coming up later this week... even up here east of the Spine, mid-80s for highs is quite warm for this time of year.  Lows in the lower 60s though is even worse because that means it must be getting humid. 

Friday: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds around 10 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

Saturday: Partly sunny with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Chance of rain 50 percent.

I plan on hiking the northern Presidentials on Saturday if the winds aren't too silly (currently looking at 70 mph gusts), and the forecast for 5600' is 72F.  Pretty extreme from one week to the next in the alpine zone.

I plan on hiking the northern Presidentials on Saturday if the winds aren't too silly (currently looking at 70 mph gusts), and the forecast for 5600' is 72F. Pretty extreme from one week to the next in the alpine zone.

I actually enjoy hiking during the windy days as long as its warm haha. Those summer days on the ridge when there's a warm SW wind blowing in at 50-60mph is an interesting experience (usually like within 12 hours of a frontal passage)...especially when you are used to experiencing cold NW winds. Sweat dries really quickly in 60mph winds haha.

Rate of return is really interesting and definitely is different than meaningful impact. For instance Miami Beach recording snow flurries back in 1977 was very different than a Hurricane Andrew. I really have to think about the most

unusual weather event for New England in recorded history....

A smaller scale contrast of impact/return is BGR.  It's most impactful wx event is almost certainly the blizzard of Dec 30-31, 1962.  30" snow (which was topped in 2/1969) with winds gusting 60+ and temps cycling back and forth between subzero and near freezing, city totally paralyzed, Bangor Daily News unable to publish for the only time in its history, which dates back to well before the Civil War.

However, for return period I'd cite Feb. 2, 1976, when southerly gales (gusted 115 mph at Stonington, IIRC) blew huge volumes of water back up the Penobscot estuary, such that the river and Kenduskeag Stream rose 15 feet in as many minutes, drowning over 200 cars (and nearly one of the occupants), before the temp plummeted from 57 to 1 in just a few hours.  However, outside the downtown flooding, there was only minor damage.  BGR has had big snowstorms before and will have them again, but the Kenduskeag Plaza flood is probably a 100-yr (or more) event.

Has anybody looked at MOS? Seems awfully warm for Friday in some spots. 98 at ASH??

Looks a little overdone to me too. MAV has 96F for CON. The 12Z GFS flirts us with 17-18C though, but we'd have to maximize every bit of downslope to double those values to reach mid 90s. Euro looks to be around 17C by 21Z. I think I'd knock a good 3-5F off of those MOS numbers.

Has anybody looked at MOS? Seems awfully warm for Friday in some spots. 98 at ASH??

Remember those days last summer where MOS had 100F for BOS a couple days out and they didn't even reach 90F? I think that happened twice. Not sure why it does that sometimes. It was spitting out like 96 at ORH too which is just absurd. I think MOS busted by a solid 8F that event in many spots. There was another where it was a good 5F.

Those numbers look warm to me too...esp further north.

Archived