• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
For Those About To Sweat ...We Salute You..Heat and Humidity

Damage In Tolland

Do you remember those early years on EUSWX when Blizz was all about cool summer temps? He used to get into it with Ryan when he would forecast 90F and Blizz would say another nice day with torch fail as its only 83F in Tolland.

He was a cold year round type of guy, then something happened and now he has the flip in April and October. He realized that while 75-85F is comfortable and enjoyable, it wasn't extreme enough to hype ;)

He lives in the safest county in America disaster wise, boring is normal.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you remember those early years on EUSWX when Blizz was all about cool summer temps? He used to get into it with Ryan when he would forecast 90F and Blizz would say another nice day with torch fail as its only 83F in Tolland.

He was a cold year round type of guy, then something happened and now he has the flip in April and October. He realized that while 75-85F is comfortable and enjoyable, it wasn't extreme enough to hype ;)

Yeah he was like that until about 2008...that's also when he started hyping up weather events more and more.

Amazing that he has been hyping weather now for 5 years. You would think that someone who promotes change would change his posting style after 5 years of the same old one-trick pony act.

Boring:

Old man like, to not like or be opposed to change,

Keep close to vest, cause tiredness,

Keep same avatar for 8 years

To lull to sleep

im not sure if u can make wx in eastern sne exciting in the summer no matter how u hype. Western and central sne have more severe and at least hope for a good size tornado, which can make a chase fun. North of plymouth mass u really cant even get severe effects of a good cane , where as at least southern parts of sne and cape can get a beating once every decade. So basically e sne away from cape and southern plymouth and bristol county's is boring. Hel* u cant even get good swell into north side of cape up thru most of ne mass from canes. Which is why i spend as many days in rhode island beaches in summer. Warmer water and better swell/surf. Cant wait to chase a cane.

Yeah he was like that until about 2008...that's also when he started hyping up weather events more and more.

Amazing that he has been hyping weather now for 5 years. You would think that someone who promotes change would change his posting style after 5 years of the same old one-trick pony act.

Wow, I never knew he was like that. I'm dumbfounded to hear about this. 

im not sure if u can make wx in eastern sne exciting in the summer no matter how u hype. Western and central sne have more severe and at least hope for a good size tornado, which can make a chase fun. North of plymouth mass u really cant even get severe effects of a good cane , where as at least southern parts of sne and cape can get a beating once every decade. So basically e sne away from cape and southern plymouth and bristol county's is boring. Hel* u cant even get good swell into north side of cape up thru most of ne mass from canes. Which is why i spend as many days in rhode island beaches in summer. Warmer water and better swell/surf. Cant wait to chase a cane.

All of SNE is boring in the summer, aside from maybe the Berks.

'38 knocked down around a billion trees in the interior, caused lots of damage.

Yeah and created F2-F3 equvialent damage in ORH. If the airport had existed back then, they probably would have easily recorded gusts over 100 knots.

But storms like that are so rare. Probably once in a century or two type thing. Probably talking about storms like 1635 and 1815 as the only real comps to massive damage that far inland.

Wow, I never knew he was like that. I'm dumbfounded to hear about this.

:lol: He used to also post his afternoon temps on his Davis to prove how close his climate was to ORH's and not BDL's. Now he just posts his warm minimum temps from under trees on a hilltop in the morning, then in the afternoon posts BDLs temp with his dewpoint ;)

But this board is certainly more interesting when he's around...knows how to get people posting.

'38 knocked down around a billion trees in the interior, caused lots of damage.

Good point birving. Still thou, so every 70 years . Im sure 60 mph sustain can take down trees, esp if gusts were 80-90 but thats like every 2 generations so i mean not worth waitin around for but it is possible.. Livin in s fl a decade got me to love watchin tropics, wilma was awesome. I will consider s ri or cape (hotel) for the next real cane however that could be twenty years

Yeah and created F2-F3 equvialent damage in ORH. If the airport had existed back then, they probably would have easily recorded gusts over 100 knots.

But storms like that are so rare. Probably once in a century or two type thing. Probably talking about storms like 1635 and 1815 as the only real comps to massive damage that far inland.

wasn't sandy calculated to have a return period of 700 years?

Count me as among the many who do NOT like high dp's or temps.

I looked back at my record and it looks like I average 16 nights a summer with a low temp > 65° and 3 nights a summer with a low >70°.  I've been spared that misery 7 out of the past 28 summers, thankfully.  What's interesting is that I have almost as many nights below 50° as I do above 65 with an average of 15.  Gotta love the summer of '95 though - I had a full months worth of nights below 50 in the three months!

No doubt about that.  So are Oct. Blizzards, and EF-3 in Springfield, and heavy snow in late May.  Not at all impossible, need to hype that aspect a bit. 

Yeah mostly because of the right angle track into NJ.

no doubt the track was the most ridiculous aspect of sandy... do you know of any other strong systems to make a NW heading landfall north of the delmarva (besides 1903)?

No doubt about that.  So are Oct. Blizzards, and EF-3 in Springfield, and heavy snow in late May.  Not at all impossible, need to hype that aspect a bit.

Yeah, in any given year, we're probably going to get a very rare event...2004 saw the record January cold, 2005 saw the 40" blizzard for the Cape, 2006 saw the Mothers Day floods, 2007 saw the insane January warm spell, 2008 had the epic December ice storm in the elevated interior, 2009 we had the record cold June/July, 2010 it was the flooding March rains, 2011 saw the EF3 tornado and record January snow in some spots...then the October blizzard, 2012 had the obscene March warmth...2013? we'll see I guess, Memorial Day Weekend snow for NNE already.

Though I personally detest extended HHH, I agree with Tip that heat which breaks all time records is a different category. I've bragged up living in BGR and visiting BHB on the day (August 2, 1975) they each established their hottest on record. Same for July 4th weekend of 1966 when I lived in NNJ, and NYC hit 100/103/98 on July 2-4, Sat-Mon. Garden variety hot/sticky: go away! All time records, particularly if relief comes soon after (the BD of 8/3/75 was oh, so welcome): ready and willing. Like folks were saying about this past weekend - if it's going to be lousy, let it be record-breakingly lousy.

Yeah, in any given year, we're probably going to get a very rare event...2004 saw the record January cold, 2005 saw the 40" blizzard for the Cape, 2006 saw the Mothers Day floods, 2007 saw the insane January warm spell, 2008 had the epic December ice storm in the elevated interior, 2009 we had the record cold June/July, 2010 it was the flooding March rains, 2011 saw the EF3 tornado and record January snow in some spots...then the October blizzard, 2012 had the obscene March warmth...2013? we'll see I guess, Memorial Day Weekend snow for NNE already.

Warmest Spring ever, too.   We'll have a run- in with a major hurricane soon, just how soon?  And will be it be a '44 or a '38 type track?

I wonder if we see a wetter pattern develop later in the 1st week of June. Models try to show a trough in the OV with what looks like a front hung up over the East Coast. It may be something where it's a more humid pattern too..but perhaps something to watch.

Though I personally detest extended HHH, I agree with Tip that heat which breaks all time records is a different category. I've bragged up living in BGR and visiting BHB on the day (August 2, 1975) they each established their hottest on record. Same for July 4th weekend of 1966 when I lived in NNJ, and NYC hit 100/103/98 on July 2-4, Sat-Mon. Garden variety hot/sticky: go away! All time records, particularly if relief comes soon after (the BD of 8/3/75 was oh, so welcome): ready and willing. Like folks were saying about this past weekend - if it's going to be lousy, let it be record-breakingly lousy.

I remember one of my professors in college saying "if you're going to have weather, it might as well be interesting" and I've always remembered that.  I don't mind the run of the mill stuff because it makes the "special" weather "special", but I agree.  If you're gonna break a record, you might as well break it!

I'm not sure I'd put Memorial Day 2013 at the same level in rarity as the EF3 tornado on 6/1/11 or the Summer 2009 record cold/rain. This past weekend was a much more isolated event with much smaller effects region-wide. For most, it was just a chilly spring day. 

I'm not sure I'd put Memorial Day 2013 at the same level in rarity as the EF3 tornado on 6/1/11 or the Summer 2009 record cold/rain. This past weekend was a much more isolated event with much smaller effects region-wide. For most, it was just a chilly spring day.

4th week of May, one has to retreat to 1967 to find accum snow away from the summits, so pretty rare (though 5/18/02 was only a week earlier.) However, the Feb blizz gets some rating too; though its missing/grazing the biggest population centers gave it a modest NESIS rating, the snowfall rates, thunder, possible hail/snow mixes, and fairly widespread 30"+ obs, add up to a rare event. Just my opinion...

I wasn't putting them in the same rarity...but they are all very rare. And actually I'd probably disagree with your premise that Memorial Day weekend snow in CNE/NNE isn't as rare as an EF3 tornado in SNE. In fact, its probably rarer...like a 1 in 40-50 year event.

On that token, for most, 6/1/11 or 7/10/89 or 6/9/53 were just hot summer days with some thunderstorms. Most didn't actually experience the tornado.

Archived