Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
For Those About To Sweat ...We Salute You..Heat and Humidity

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing like enjoying a heat wave from a well air conditioned room.

I will go my 7th straight summer here w/o A/C. I can probably count on both hands the amount of days where I'd say I truly needed one. If I was in the city I'd probably have one, but a window fan at night is just enough to cool it off to sleep at night.

I will go my 7th straight summer here w/o A/C. I can probably count on both hands the amount of days where I'd say I truly needed one. If I was in the city I'd probably have one, but a window fan at night is just enough to cool it off to sleep at night.

And it's usually the high dews that do it...not like temps stay in the 70s all night up there.

And it's usually the high dews that do it...not like temps stay in the 70s all night up there.

July '11 had that one miserable night where we radiated with dews in the low/mid 70s, but most of the time we will dip into the 60s up here with rad cooling conditions. Most of the bad nights are when we stay a little mixed with < 10mph winds and we hover around 70F all night. LCI is worse with that being near the lake.

The average low is 65F here in July, but it seems as if we have quite a few nights that stay in the 70s. I can even remember a few nights that stayed in the 80s, definitely during 2011 and maybe during 2006 or 2007 as well. Dobbs Ferry is beautiful all year except for mid-summer, then it gets disgusting. Thankfully it's usually back to being nice weather by late August/early September. I just despise the mid-summer in this humid climate.

Yeah same with me...I prob wish I had AC about 10-15 days per year. Nighttime mins in the 70s here are very rare as are daytime highs in the 90s. Some of those 87/65 type days with high dews are annoying too...but overall summer is a pleasant season...one of the nicest IMHO.

Its just extremely boring metoeorlogically speaking for me personally. Occasional good severe event not withstanding.

Lol at window fans. That is so hick ish. It's 2013 not 1913. Spend the money and be cool and comfortable instead of being hot and blowing 73 degree dew point air on yourself while your legs are stuck to sheets. That is just laughable

Let's waste energy using A/C when we don't really need it. 

The fact is that I'm on the northern limit of areas where you really need air conditioning in the summer here in Westchester. At my parents' vacation home in the Poconos, we've never had A/C and never wanted it up there at 1500'...it's similar to NH and northern MA where you just don't get nights in the 70s and days and days of 90s. Average high in July is 78F with an average low of 56F. Those normals in the Poconos imply that you're only going to need A/C during the biggest heat waves, in reality a couple nights a summer. And it's not worth spending the money and using the energy for that. 

Lol at window fans. That is so hick ish. It's 2013 not 1913. Spend the money and be cool and comfortable instead of being hot and blowing 73 degree dew point air on yourself while your legs are stuck to sheets. That is just laughable

If I lived in a place where that happens more than a handful of days per year, then I would def consider. But I don't so its a moot argument. Same with dendrite's area.

Different story for places like the CT Valley around UHIs like Hartford.

I just had the heat on in late May...I don't need to waste energy on A/C when I don't need it. I'd rather go without A/C anyways since it dries the air out too much. We rarely get sustained dews in the 70s so I stay perfectly comfy at night with saturated 50s/60s at night.

I prefer to embrace and immerse myself into summer weather rather than hide from it behind an A/C.

Let's waste energy using A/C when we don't really need it. 

The fact is that I'm on the northern limit of areas where you really need air conditioning in the summer here in Westchester. At my parents' vacation home in the Poconos, we've never had A/C and never wanted it up there at 1500'...it's similar to NH and northern MA where you just don't get nights in the 70s and days and days of 90s. Average high in July is 78F with an average low of 56F. Those normals in the Poconos imply that you're only going to need A/C during the biggest heat waves, in reality a couple nights a summer. And it's not worth spending the money and using the energy for that. 

it's more the humidity up this way that's the issue-heat is really the main issue-we're all so used to being in climate controlled building, so 80/70 feels pretty swampy.    with that said, we turn off the AC when it's nice out.   Some of my neighbors have never opened a window, I find that really strange....

it's more the humidity up this way that's the issue-heat is really the main issue-we're all so used to being in climate controlled building, so 80/70 feels pretty swampy.    with that said, we turn off the AC when it's nice out.   Some of my neighbors have never opened a window, I find that really strange....

Yeah, I find it really weird the people that go directly from heating to A/C without enjoying a long period of opening windows. I only use the A/C here in Dobbs Ferry on half the nights at most, much less in a cooler summer. I find I use it quite a bit less than my neighbors, although my tolerance for heat is declining somewhat. I really do hate the 85/70 swampy weather.

Yeah same with me...I prob wish I had AC about 10-15 days per year. Nighttime mins in the 70s here are very rare as are daytime highs in the 90s. Some of those 87/65 type days with high dews are annoying too...but overall summer is a pleasant season...one of the nicest IMHO.

Its just extremely boring metoeorlogically speaking for me personally. Occasional good severe event not withstanding.

I have an a/c in the bedroom and that's it. Window fans work for the rest of the house. I may put in central air eventually because I have all the duct work already done but I can probably live without it.

It's funny... from growing up in Guilford I was not used to my house getting so hot during the evenings after a day of baking valley heat. The PM sea breeze even on really sultry days was so nice down there. 

What areas would u guys say in sne are most oppressive. I can say that the uhi of boston /cambridge are awful in hhh weather. Brick buildings, temps around 80 at midnite. But the sea breeze and bdf save several days. Just wondering where the worst maybe. Perhaps hartford, thou i imagine them radiating better than bos on hhh days, thou im not sure

Being at 1k helps a little.  

The Euro backed off on the heat a bit for us and Wed everyone outside of SW CT struggles to warm sector.

Definitely not the same appeal as some other big heat events in the past.   

The deep layer heights would support more but one thing this ridge interval lacks is a dose of Sonoran air from the deep SW.   This has more of an 87 to 92 type of look to it, and plausible that one town nicks a heat wave while the next town over just misses for the duration.   I think sensibly though we've had a pretty neutral spring up to this point, perhaps biased a cool a little because of this recent craziness ... so conditionally a 90/67 afternoon may seem worse at first.    

Archived