• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
For Those About To Sweat ...We Salute You..Heat and Humidity

Damage In Tolland

After the disaster for some folks this weekend with cold rains and snows..this will be something to track, discuss and look forward to. i'd suggest those that didn't put in ac yet take advantage of the crappy wx this weekend and get it done

THURSDAY...
MOTHER NATURE IS TRYING TO MAKE UP FOR THE COLD/RAINY WEEKEND BY
BRING A STRONG WARM FRONT TO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND BY LATE WEEK.
THIS WARM FRONT WILL BRING MUGGY CONDITIONS AND A CHANCE OS
ISOLATED SHOWERS. HOWEVER MAIN THINK TO WATCH IS MAX TEMPS...WHICH
MAY REACH THE MID 80S. SOME MODELS EVEN PUSH THE REGION INTO THE
90S. SINCE THIS IS SEVERAL DAYS AWAY...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it lasts longer than a day or two.  

Not only does it appear like we will be getting into more early summer like weather, but besides a chance for showers or maybe a t'storms with the passage of the warm front, there really may not be another threat for precipitation until that trough slides far enough to the east to where we see a cold front come through which may not be until sometime after next weekend.  

Quite a bit of uncertainty though with the evolution of the west coast trough as we move through the week but one thing that seems likely is storng ridging building here in the east.

Luckily it only lasts a day or two.

I was going to say, how long can this be expected to last?  The way I look at it, we really only have until 8/15 or so for real heat and humidity.  After that it's just a glancing blow so every day that we don't have heat and humidity is another day closer to being free from it.  I can take a few days but not for months on end.  So far so good though....

I was going to say, how long can this be expected to last?  The way I look at it, we really only have until 8/15 or so for real heat and humidity.  After that it's just a glancing blow so every day that we don't have heat and humidity is another day closer to being free from it.  I can take a few days but not for months on end.  So far so good though....

The pattern so far has not had the feel of a summer of endless days of searing heat. Warm and dry would be fine with me.

I don't expect hot days in the summer, and neither should anyone else in New England. We spend more afternoons in the 70s than the 90s based on the table below.

PERCENTAGE OF SUMMER DAYS W/HIGH TEMPERATURES...
ID    <60    60s    70s    80s    90s    100+
------------------------------------------------
BDL    0       6     26     52     16      0
BDR    0       7     38     47      8      0
BOS    2      11     35     39     13      0
ORH    2      12     46     36      3      0
PVD    1       7     34     48     10      0

I don't expect hot days in the summer, and neither should anyone else in New England. We spend more afternoons in the 70s than the 90s based on the table below.

PERCENTAGE OF SUMMER DAYS W/HIGH TEMPERATURES...
ID    <60    60s    70s    80s    90s    100+
------------------------------------------------
BDL    0       6     26     52     16      0
BDR    0       7     38     47      8      0
BOS    2      11     35     39     13      0
ORH    2      12     46     36      3      0
PVD    1       7     34     48     10      0

:lol:

more days in the 80's than 70's per that table. 89 is every bit as "hot" as 90 in my book

:lol:

more days in the 80's than 70's per that table. 89 is every bit as "hot" as 90 in my book

Here it is broken down a little further. I'll concede "hot" as upper-80s on up for the sake of this argument, though I think most draw that line in the sand at 90. Most summer afternoons in New England would not be considered hot by any standard, and I've left out northern New England stations which would further bolster that argument.

AVERAGE ANNUAL NUMBER OF SUMMER DAYS (1981-2010)

High Temp   BDL      BDR      BOS      ORH      PVD
---------------------------------------------------
Low-40s     0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0
Mid-40s     0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0
Upper-40s   0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0
Low-50s     0.0      0.0      0.0      0.3      0.0
Mid-50s     0.1      0.0      0.4      0.4      0.2
Upper-50s   0.3      0.2      1.2      1.6      0.5
Low-60s     0.8      0.8      1.5      2.0      0.9
Mid-60s     2.2      2.5      3.7      4.4      2.1
Upper-60s   2.2      3.0      5.0      4.7      3.1
Low-70s     3.7      5.6      8.1      8.6      5.5
Mid-70s     9.5     13.3     13.6     18.0     12.5
Upper-70s  10.3     15.8     10.5     15.9     13.2
Low-80s    14.0     16.8     12.7     14.4     16.0
Mid-80s    21.7     18.7     15.0     13.6     18.5
SUBTOTAL   64.8     76.7     71.7     83.9     72.5
            70%      83%      78%      91%      79%
Upper-80s  12.3      8.2      8.4      4.9      9.9
Low-90s     7.5      4.6      6.7      2.6      4.8
Mid-90s     5.7      2.2      4.0      0.5      3.6
Upper-90s   1.4      0.3      1.1      0.0      0.8
Low-100s    0.3      0.1      0.1      0.0      0.2
Mid-100s    0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0
Upper-100s  0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0      0.0
SUBTOTAL   27.2     15.3     20.3      8.0     19.4
            30%      17%      22%       9%      21%

Severe threat end of next week?

Was looking at that earlier.  BIrving posted some images in the severe thread of the 500mb pattern and I think 700mb...actually looked pretty decent for EML potential into the region and would be a good look for strong shear.  Let's see if this pans out or not.  

As far as "hot" goes...by definition, the climate for central/eastern MA, CT, and RI is considered warm to hot in the summer while ME/VT/NH/western MA is considered moderately warm.  The term hot does not have to apply nor does it mean above-average or record breaking.  

How about the climate at 1,000'?  we had 5 days here last year with 90F + at 835'. I think Bradley had something like 20?

Of course it's going to be different up at 1000' and above!  

This I know, that was my point that it's not hot and humid very often during the summer here in the higher hills. Most of the summer here is between 75-80F, lots of folks around here don't even have A/C, or have one unit.

As far as "hot" goes...by definition, the climate for central/eastern MA, CT, and RI is considered warm to hot in the summer while ME/VT/NH/western MA is considered moderately warm.  The term hot does not have to apply nor does it mean above-average or record breaking.  

The SNE sites with the exception of BDL are all in the lowest quartile among first-order sites for average summer time high temperature. If that's considered hot, what does one call the other 75%?

I like how the bolded part was left out:

THURSDAY...

MOTHER NATURE IS TRYING TO MAKE UP FOR THE COLD/RAINY WEEKEND BY

BRING A STRONG WARM FRONT TO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND BY LATE WEEK.

THIS WARM FRONT WILL BRING MUGGY CONDITIONS AND A CHANCE OS

ISOLATED SHOWERS. HOWEVER MAIN THINK TO WATCH IS MAX TEMPS...WHICH

MAY REACH THE MID 80S. SOME MODELS EVEN PUSH THE REGION INTO THE

90S. SINCE THIS IS SEVERAL DAYS AWAY...KEEP IN MIND THAT MOTHER

NATURE MAY CHANGE HER MIND.

This I know, that was my point that it's not hot and humid very often during the summer here in the higher hills. Most of the summer here is between 75-80F, lots of folks around here don't even have A/C, or have one unit.

My brother used to live in Stafford Springs and one summer I went up there, it was well in the 80's in Hartford and it was literally in the mid 70's there.  

The SNE sites with the exception of BDL are all in the lowest quartile among first-order sites for average summer time high temperature. If that's considered hot, what does one call the other 75%?

The problem with the term "hot" is it can be used so subjectively since the definition of hot is rather broad:

having a relatively high temperature

having heat in a degree exceeding normal body heat

The first definition is especially broad b/c what is really considered a high temperature?  The second definition can be applied a bit better b/c now you're setting a standard for the term hot...applying it to the normal body temperature of a human.

in the end it's just a subjective term that can be used loosely and people just have to realize what may be hot to them is not hot to others.  It's kind of pointless to be arguing over what's hot and what's not hot since it's such a subjective term.

Archived