joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cicada Tracking 2013

WxUSAF

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the tracking website, they're starting to emerge south of the Potomac.  Anyone seen/heard some yet?  I've got nada in Columbia so far, but imagine we're only a few days to a week away.  

I didn't think Columbia was an area to be affected by this Brood? From the maps I've seen it's southern Md and South of DC then into Easter and central PA. 

What I don't understand from this map is whether the areas are exclusive.  Is there any reason why you couldn't have two broods in the same area? 

new_body_2013.jpg

I think the broods are exclusive for the most part, though a few may appear in different areas. From everything I have read though it's exclusive to the areas on the map. If that's the case the Baltimore area shouldn't see much at all

I didn't think Columbia was an area to be affected by this Brood? From the maps I've seen it's southern Md and South of DC then into Easter and central PA. 

Hmmm...didn't know that.  I hope you're right.  

Do they eat stink bugs by any chance?

God I wish.  

It's interesting on the Brood distribution map above, that some broods are separated into 2 parts in more than one area. You have Brood II separated by X and 2 parts of XIV is separated by hundreds of miles.

I was just wondering why that could be. Do Cicadas fly very far when they emerge?

I think the broods are exclusive for the most part, though a few may appear in different areas. From everything I have read though it's exclusive to the areas on the map. If that's the case the Baltimore area shouldn't see much at all

I believe that's correct. I've been in the same house (about five miles east of Dulles Airport) since 1985, and remember the Brood X cicadas from both 1987 and 2004 very well. However, I don't recall seeing any of the Brood II cicadas the last time they appeared in 1996.

We had them here starting about a week and a half ago (near Aldie).  Some of my bushes in the back are covered in them.  However, nothing like the broods I remember in the past - there are a few hundred out back, but presumably they have not all come out yet.

We had them here starting about a week and a half ago (near Aldie).  Some of my bushes in the back are covered in them.  However, nothing like the broods I remember in the past - there are a few hundred out back, but presumably they have not all come out yet.

I don't think this brood is a big deal...I don't really recall 1996 being a big deal....2004 kind of ruined my friend's outdoor wedding

I lived in Lake Ridge, PW county back when brood II last emerged in '96. They were everywhere down there. I worked in Fairfax county, just south of Alexandria off of route 1 . Driving from home to work there was a definite demarcation line about midway through Ft. Belvoir. Plenty to the south. None to the north.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of trees that were around 17 years ago aren't around anymore. Kind of obvious but often overlooked. I bet numbers at Ft. Belvoir are way down this time around.

The chocolate covered ones taste like a Nestles Crunch Bar. Easy to cook up. Just remove the wings and legs. Dip them in melted chocolate and let cool. Munch away!

Archived