joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cicada Tracking 2013

WxUSAF

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is "Cicada" the next TWC winter storm? looks like most of MD is getting X inches, with lollies of XIX scattered in eastern VA

Brood X map is February 5-6, 2010

Brood II map is March 6, 2013

The Baltimore area only gets brood X, I remember both in 1987 and 2004. Don't ever remember seeing Brood II here.

I almost want to go on a cicada chase

• 2 weeks later...

I think the broods are exclusive for the most part, though a few may appear in different areas. From everything I have read though it's exclusive to the areas on the map. If that's the case the Baltimore area shouldn't see much at all

According to Kevin Ambrose in today's CWG story:  "I’ve yet to confirm a location that has an overlap of both Brood II and Brood X cicadas."  See http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/05/29/sex-and-the-cicada-and-an-updated-coverage-map/

According to Kevin Ambrose in today's CWG story:  "I’ve yet to confirm a location that has an overlap of both Brood II and Brood X cicadas."  See http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/05/29/sex-and-the-cicada-and-an-updated-coverage-map/

I've lived from central PG county to my current location in Pikesville and several places in between, and although I remember the 2004, 1987, and 1970 cicada-fests, I don't recall ever seeing this brood in any of those areas.

I think some of the cicada frenzy was made by people who didn't grow up here.  As others have mentioned, I lived here most of my life (Montgomery County) and really don't recall any other brood causing a widespread cicada invasion in the DC-B'more area other than Brood X.  In fact, I don't really remember seeing any cicadas during Brood 2 and don't recall even hearing about Brood 2 until I read about it recently.

I think some of the cicada frenzy was made by people who didn't grow up here.  As others have mentioned, I lived here most of my life (Montgomery County) and really don't recall any other brood causing a widespread cicada invasion in the DC-B'more area other than Brood X.  In fact, I don't really remember seeing any cicadas during Brood 2 and don't recall even hearing about Brood 2 until I read about it recently.

Completely agree

Mike Raupp, a U. of Maryland professor of entomology states: "When people hear cicadas are going to be in Maryland, the assumption is they’re going to be everywhere, like last time. But they’re disjunct spatially. Where you have them one year, it’s rare to have them in the same place in the next brood.”  Citizen scientists claim to have spotted cicadas in such places as Baltimore, which, like Washington, is not home to Brood II. Not long ago, Mike went to northern Anne Arundel County to chase down a report of tiny holes in the ground under a tree, a sign that could mean cicadas had emerged and were starting their brief, above-ground life cycle. The holes turned out to have been made by ground-nesting bees. “A lot of the early reports, frankly, could have been less than accurate,” he said.  See http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/for-a-lot-of-us-there-will-be-no-cicadas-this-year/2013/06/03/4491b4c2-cc6b-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html

Awesome.

But it's strange that a little pocket of cicadas would pop up out there when I haven't heard of many/any in VA north of very southern Fairfax County..

I am very close to Arcola (about 6 miles south, between Stone Ridge and Manassas) and we must have 3 million of them on our 3 acres here.  They are constantly flying into us in the yard, obnoxiously loud, and I literally saw half a dozen squirrels eating them this morning.  The squirrels are well fed, and at this rate will soon be the size of large dogs.  There is something oddly horror-movie like about watching a squirrel nibble on a cicada in the classic nut-between-the-front-paws stance.

Took the dog for walk yesterday evening and today, and we went by the woods around the corner from us. Could hear some of the alien sounds, for sure.

Also...saw some stray leaves rustling in my shallot bed. Looked a little closer, and it was this guy tooling around. Seemed a little lonely...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Drive out to the Stone House in the Manassas Battlefield, junction of 29 and Sudley Road.  You won't be able to get out of your car without 25 of them flying into you.  We are just a couple miles directly north of the battlefield in Loudoun, and it is like the biblical swarm of locusts from where I live SW all the way to Charlottesville.  The funny thing is, 10 miles NE of here, there is not a single Cicada.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, they started coming out in early July and make a pretty consistent racket.  

Along with the Cicada Killer wasps, which prey on the Cicadas, and Velvet Ants, which pray on the wasps.  I have probably two dozen of the wasps in my alpine garden (sand based soil) and an unknown number of the velvet ants (but enough that I see them regularly on the ground).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/metro/urban-jungle/pages/130730.html

Archived