joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19th-20 Storm Thread III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious...anyone who has spent a good number of years in the hfd/spfd area, what is the greatest snow depth that you have ever observed???

Not from there, but according to UCC data, BDL's deepest snow came in Jan 1996, peaking at 38" following the 10" event 4 days after the monster KU. Then they plunged from 33" to traces in 4 days. :(

2nd deepest was 29" after the 2/4 storm in 1961.

Remember yesterday when you told me a miss was off the table and every other met thought the odds of it were remote?

Heck I remember just a couple of hours ago when Kev was saying the same thing to me!

I think this is the most extreme east solution IMO. I think we will see more of a hook in later runs but will it matter for most?

Again if the models were down for the last week and just fired back up last night, none of us would think much of this event at all. I think we get nostalgic when we see solutions that we like that then vanish.

60 hour cum QPF on the GFS says this is a disaster.

gfs_p60_114l.gif

Good thing So. Cal is getting hit...

12z Ukie OTS. FWIW

101217162403359726000.gif

It's over for the most part. Now it's a waiting game to see if it can get close enough to nip SE NE.

You could see it 12 hours in on the NAM. Unless/until the OV S/W plays nice this is done. There's too much west east at 40n to allow the precip to get far enough north.

The hope is that slows down some, and that it digs a little more getting the flow more SW to NE. I think it's still possible but again likely won't matter for many.

Pretty disheartening turn of events. I must admit. Didn't expect this today..Not at all. Figured we'd still at least get something

I don't think we'll get shutout....esp eastern areas...but it certainly is looking pretty bleak for a major event now. We'll see though, I'll give it another 12-24 hours depending on what transpires between now and 00z runs tonight.

I think this will rally and make a bit of a comeback for Eastern NE yet.... I just feel like the US models are on their eastern extreme now. It's done from Pete (and points west), but do I dare say ..lets see what the Euro say before burying it totally.

But we have no model to really feel good about anymore - we lost the Euro. :thumbsdown: It's still the better model I guess, but several events now where I feel like it has lost a step. I guess they fooled around with the code or maybe it can't handle this years pattern.

NYC/Dobbs Ferry FTL....:devilsmiley:

Northern and Eastern Maine. The SW portion of the state has gotten almost nothing. Had 0.8" IMBY from retro #1 and nada from #2, and that's better off than most of the Maine posters south and west of me.

Most folks daring enough to offer winter forecasts had December as the best month for snow and cold in the Northeast, though the few who made March forecasts had that also colder and snowier than avg. Given what was said about La Nina winters (saw lots of "good early, bad middle, maybe good again late"), watching all these December opportunities pass by gets discouraging. Oh well, it's only weather.

Complete and unmitigated disaster here in the Portland area. Bare ground, and neither of our little "events" to date came close to covering the grass. So far the most snowcover I've personally witnessed was on a brief trip to Winston-Salem, NC last week.

These models continue to show suspect-looking back-end stuff giving us some accumulation through early next week, but I'm not hopeful. What a letdown from less than 24 hours ago.

I don't think we'll get shutout....esp eastern areas...but it certainly is looking pretty bleak for a major event now. We'll see though, I'll give it another 12-24 hours depending on what transpires between now and 00z runs tonight.

Well as of this morning I had given up hope of a big hit..I was still thinking we'd be able to manage a widespread snowfall out of the Sun-Wed time period. I'm sure there will still be some snow out of the whole thing..Hopefully it's enough to give those that don't have snow on the ground a white Christmas.

Well as of this morning I had given up hope of a big hit..I was still thinking we'd be able to manage a widespread snowfall out of the Sun-Wed time period. I'm sure there will still be some snow out of the whole thing..Hopefully it's enough to give those that don't have snow on the ground a white Christmas.

Western mass was shaky, but I thought eastern mass could pull a nice event out of this. I'll admit it, and I'm not talking about stupid wrap around either.

This southern stream s/w is just crap. Maybe a function of the La Nina. I feel like the overall placement of the block and the northern stream would have been fine if the southern vort wasn't so piss poor.

It's over for the most part. Now it's a waiting game to see if it can get close enough to nip SE NE.

You could see it 12 hours in on the NAM. Unless/until the OV S/W plays nice this is done. There's too much west east at 40n to allow the precip to get far enough north.

The hope is that slows down some, and that it digs a little more getting the flow more SW to NE. I think it's still possible but again likely won't matter for many.

A lot of you are probably young enough that you won't remember Don Kent in his prime. I remember once when he was explaining via the first sat maps that when storms come at us from New Orleans to the Panhandle we can get hit. When they come at us from off of GA up to east of HAT (but with a sharp back edge that is just on or just off the coast) we will get misses most of the time.

Rosenthal often explained the same things before he was replaced for breasts.

nam_ref_042l.gif

Probably my most important parental decision lately is to not mention a thing about snow day potential to my daughter. When she comes home and asks today...I'll simply inform her that I'll let her know when it's possible and Monday she'll be going to school.

Already told her there would be no school Monday,boy i am i gonna hear it lol.

Archived