• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 19th-20 Storm Thread III

Baroclinic Zone

Just curious...anyone who has spent a good number of years in the hfd/spfd area, what is the greatest snow depth that you have ever observed???

The highest amount I have my weather record is 34" between 10-13 January 1996. I made a notes though that there were certain spots over 48" in the yard. I was living at 290' in North Somers, CT. My record only goes back to 1985 so I can't say if there was more before that.

Dave

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably my most important parental decision lately is to not mention a thing about snow day potential to my daughter. When she comes home and asks today...I'll simply inform her that I'll let her know when it's possible and Monday she'll be going to school.

I've been facing a similar dilemma with my kids. Frankly I think I'm just going to keep mum so that if it does now it'll be a complete surprise to them when they wake up. Sometimes I wonder if I should drop this "hobby" and approach it that way myself.

Christmas Day threat on the GFS. HAH ....though it could get squished under us.

The highest amount I have my weather record is 34" between 10-13 January 1996. I made a notes though that there were certain spots over 48" in the yard. I was living at 290' in North Somers, CT. My record only goes back to 1985 so I can't say if there was more before that.

Dave

We have had several bouts of LES stuff leaving 1-4" in various parts of the large school district here. Sometimes one area will get 3" and another part of the district will get a trace. Not even one delay though yet for the kids. I think the policy is just to never delay for that kind of thing even if moderate snow is falling in one section. They just have to trudge through it. No snow days usually here unless it is a real storm system and probably 6" +.

I've been facing a similar dilemma with my kids. Frankly I think I'm just going to keep mum so that if it does now it'll be a complete surprise to them when they wake up. Sometimes I wonder if I should drop this "hobby" and approach it that way myself.

Actually there always seems to be a storm to tease us around Christmas...probably no more than about 1 out of 5 work out. But it is the ultimate dream scenario .....last time for us was the great 12/25/2002 storm.

Two big Noreasters on Xmas in my lifetime 12/1978 and 12/2002. Both were a bigger deal inland I believe.

There always seems to be a storm around Christmas. Can anyone verifiy on any of the models the wraparound that the GFS has? I want to at least get an inch of two of snow.

I'll tell you that for me it was the way to go. I'd randomly check the forecast models every few days. Didn't see any reason to sign on and get excited all winter until this time and even then didn't think it was wise to invest until today. In retrospect it makes it much more enjoyable and I'm betting without that initial emotional investment in what are usually fluctuating solutions D3.5+, I'll be closer to accurate with ideas.

I really believe we get hooked and jaded by earlier solutions. How many times over the years does a solid miss become a hit inside of 3 days? Maybe 10-20%? How many times does a solid hit become a miss at the same 3/3.5 days? I bet 30-40%.

We still have time, but not a ton. The UKMET being OTS is a very very bad sign. Same with the RGEM, two models that often try to overdevelop. . I see no shot that the EC will be a major hit anywhere west of the coast at 12z.

I think there's still hope for a few reasons. We are seeing the normal clutter at 36-48 off the coast of NC/SC at 500mb. Won't play out with all those little pieces of energy. We see this all the time, instead of a bunch of little spokes of energy like depicted we'll likely see one or two stronger lobes that will maybe be slower. Second the spoke near Chicago...well models always bounce that around and will continue to do so. Then there's the OV system which is no doubt being influeced by the other two in the models.

Fact is at 12z this OV energy was just up on the NW coast but not really as a defined system. When you flip through from 12z through 60 hours it's not really clear where the models are developing the future ohio s/w from....IMO that doesn't really emerge until Saturday once it clears the Rockies. It will be very interesting to see what the 18z runs do in handling that system. For whatever reason the off hour runs sometimes give us a clearer picture at precisely this point in the evolution of these systems. I kind of have high hopes for the 18z, if it is a bust, then I'm throwing in all but the furry fringe of the proverbial towel.

There always seems to be a storm around Christmas. Can anyone verifiy on any of the models the wraparound that the GFS has? I want to at least get an inch of two of snow.

If it were an inland runner rainstorm, you could lock it in. This one will surely stay south. It doesn't snow here at Christmas.

For those that still aren't sure if they should tip the chairs, turn the blowdryer switch in the tub to on, turn the ignition to on in car in the garage ..Don S can help

http://www.americanw...post__p__124643

It's almost impossible to argue with that much history. This is going to miss most of us, the question is do any of us see much of anything?

Per Don's research a big snowstorm has NEVER happened with this type of La Nina. That about says it all.

I was psyched for overunning events to get our snow this year. I didn't come into it expecting Noreasters.

It's almost impossible to argue with that much history. This is going to miss most of us, the question is do any of us see much of anything?

Per Don's research a big snowstorm has NEVER happened with this type of La Nina. That about says it all.

Further east seems to be the trend 12 Z, definitely not looking good, but never lose hope. Remember 2/10/2010 when the models said even 6-12 hours out SNE was getting nailed, blizzard warnings hoisted? It could still happen regardless.

Also, don't forget last December's warnings where we all woke up with nary a flake. Sometimes the best models and forecasts..........

One of my favorites.

Well the big storm idea was off the table once the Euro ripped it out from under us.

What concerns me is the warmth and ridging he's calling for in Jan and Feb

So let me get this straight, We either have to hope we get a retrograding storm or rely on a inverted trough for some snow here........... :lol:

Does it seem possible that we average as much snow as we do, considering how getting it to snow in these parts the last 11 months is like trying to eat soup with a toothpick? Mind-f'in-boggling it is.

Archived