joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19th-20 Storm Thread III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for a new threat to get the ball rolling again today for the 12z runs. This thread will get busy.

Here is the link to the previous thread from yesterday and early this morning.

http://www.americanw...torm-thread-ii/

09z SREF's are out.

http://www.nco.ncep....9/model_s.shtml

I think we're seeing the trend that will end up being the right one? It's a SE/E area that's got the best shot. If the EC/GFS hadn't burped for a few runs would anyone really be amped up right now back from eastern areas? Probably not.

well i just looked at the overnight modeling.

i dont think this is anything more than the usual narrowing of the envelope that happens as we get closer to an event. the actual solutions of the models, well none of them are actually going to happen like that at this range so no reason to get worked up.

with the envelope narrowing, in terms of significant snowfalls, people like myself and back through ENY our chances are in the toilet this morning. the rest of new england, everyone is still very much alive for significant snowfall.

looking at alll the wild shifts,

the chances of this missing eastern mass are essentially <10% IMO.

i think the chances of 6+ in boston are 50-50.

SREFs are east of 03z but they do look like they would rotate more snoe back in after hr 87.

Based on the performance so far of the models in that time range I dont put a lot of home of snow backing down as modeled yet. Certainly if that becomes the main event--- ouch.

Ten minutes from a clearer picture. Just one of those times where I wonder if everyone only looked at this from the 0z suite onward would they be so excited? Or do we have this legacy excitement based on potential from earlier runs?

you're not sold on that yet? I mean I'm going home today so you're better off here than I am at home...but still man this is looking kinda dismal

just keeping the streak alive.

What looks dismal? Getting 2 feet? Sure that does..but 4-8 inches looks very good. Snow Sunday night/Mon..then snow with the retro Tuesday-Wed..I don't see why everyone is so upset about that

THE BIG HIT is GONE. Admit for once the trend is not a friend this go round?

Reality sucks....no towel yet but close to throwing in

What are You talking about? The Nam and gfs are 100 miles from eastern NE getting a foot..

If you can get into the ccb with this storm you get a foot cause it stalls

dusting west of i91...congrats nw connecticut

Aside from areas above 1000' pretty much the entire area west of ORH to ALB has been in a snow screw zone the past 2 years.

And for those over 1000' the price of elevation dependent snow has come with enduring an epic ice storm 2 years ago.

Our turn will come again just probably not with this system.

I'll stand by my this...but I think Se areas are more at risk for a change/mix scenario than the big snow winners

I dont think there's much of a way in this scenario that I can get much snow as it is modeled right now. Just too much wind off the water. But, we may well be the QPF max which is what I was referring to.

Let's see. This run to me is the only one that matters. If most are still east that's the way it's going. Comes west great.

I dont think there's much of a way in this scenario that I can get much snow as it is modeled right now. Just too much wind off the water. But, we may well be the QPF max which is what I was referring to.

Let's see. This run to me is the only one that matters. If most are still east that's the way it's going. Comes west great.

Why would you paint yourself into a corner? If this run doesn't come west..that means it can't at 00z? hmm

What looks dismal? Getting 2 feet? Sure that does..but 4-8 inches looks very good. Snow Sunday night/Mon..then snow with the retro Tuesday-Wed..I don't see why everyone is so upset about that

Do you think retro precip is really gone do much for you or me, Moneypit and the rest of the western weenies?

I like your optimism.

:weight_lift:

Why would you paint yourself into a corner? If this run doesn't come west..that means it can't at 00z? hmm

It could also hit Bermuda. Anything is possible but I'll take the odds of trends inside of 78 hours versus 78-100+ hour runs every single time. Each movement becomes more important as we approach in terms of model accuracy and probability. Sure they could lay an egg at the last minute and have before but.... (this to me is the critical run to narrow down the ultimate solution...this full suite).

I like the spread west in the SREFs.

Aside from areas above 1000' pretty much the entire area west of ORH to ALB has been in a snow screw zone the past 2 years.

And for those over 1000' the price of elevation dependent snow has come with enduring an epic ice storm 2 years ago.

Our turn will come again just probably not with this system.

I hope we get something. Last winter was just pathetic around our parts. 2 years in a row is just rediculous.

Archived