• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2013-14 MA Winter Disco - 'cause it's never too early.

Bob Chill

Bob, is the PDO/ENSO a "chicken or the egg" scenario? It's been 4 years since the last Nino started and we've pretty much had a -PDO the entire time. The hope here being that with the PDO on the rise, any warm SSTs in region 3.4 and beyond wouldn't have as much working against them. It's tough to find an analog with a neutral ENSO/Warm PDO/Postitive QBO. Which probably means either we start to get some type of nino going or the PDO goes back into the tank.

You can have a nino with a -pdo during djf (ala 68-69 & 72-73) but it's really hard to push against it. PDO covers a much bigger domain space than enso 3.4 so the interaction is complex. We are definitely in a long term -pdo regime but both the 02-03 and 09-10 ninos were solid +pdo through the season.

03-04 was a +pdo and warm neutral enso but it was on the heels of a nino. I don't think analogs mean much at this point until we get a clearer picture of where enso will likely be and whether or not the pdo wants to tank or not when it counts.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see anything positive about this winter

Me either. Maybe we get lucky with storm track. Has the makings of average'ish temps and below climo snow at face value. Could get some blocking surprises. Arctic air has favored the other side of the globe in DJ for quite a while. That has to break at some point...although arctic air could favor the arctic and leave us all out. misery loves company.

• 2 weeks later...

:huh:

Meaning no Nino so no help. If we're facing a nina then it is a factor. And a very bad one at that. I don't see how a neutral means anything other than limited to no chances of a big year. For all we know we could end up being central va and st Mary's county this winter. I'm just chasing 75-100% of climo. Neural enso means little.

Meaning no Nino so no help. If we're facing a nina then it is a factor. And a very bad one at that. I don't see how a neutral means anything other than limited to no chances of a big year. For all we know we could end up being central va and st Mary's county this winter. I'm just chasing 75-100% of climo. Neural enso means little.

It means a lot. Enso regions don't suddenly not matter because there is no anomaly. They don't know that. It is a wide basin and it is going to affect our weather no matter what the temperature is.

Archived