• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2013-14 MA Winter Disco - 'cause it's never too early.

Bob Chill

It means a lot. Enso regions don't suddenly not matter because there is no anomaly. They don't know that. It is a wide basin and it is going to affect our weather no matter what the temperature is.

Your post implies that neutral behaves with some sort of predictable influence on our winters. I suppose it does to some extent because expecting an active stj and southern dominant storm track is fools gold. I've never really analyzed neutral years by themselves trying to find a pattern or clue unless they followed on the heels of a nino/nina. The only early guess I can make at this point is to not expect +climo snow.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your post implies that neutral behaves with some sort of predictable influence on our winters. I suppose it does to some extent because expecting an active stj and southern dominant storm track is fools gold. I've never really analyzed neutral years by themselves trying to find a pattern or clue unless they followed on the heels of a nino/nina. The only early guess I can make at this point is to not expect +climo snow.

If neutral behaves the same as Nina, then there is no Nina pattern or neutral pattern. There is only a Niño pattern or non Niño pattern. So, assuming there is an actual difference in the two, wouldn't a neutral pattern have to be somewhere between the two, and, thus, improving our chances at getting at least a somewhat "more" active southern stream increasing our chances of timing up some meaningful precip with cold air? I'm sure if I'm way off base you or someone will correct me.

Also, aren't we coming off a neutral and most likely heading toward another. Wouldn't Nina effects have to fade over time?

Luckily forecasting the winter is still 90% guesswork and a single fluke that is impossible to predict often makes the entire winter.

aside from winters like 95/96, 02/03 and 09/10, any 4-6"+snow event around here is a fluke

I just wish I could accept that fact and move on in my life every winter

northern stream dominance with a bad/dry storm track, and a -PDO

Don Sutherland did a nice post on our enso odds based strictly on stats and on the statistical models.  They seem to be pointing towards a nina or cold neutral enso.  Couple that with a neg pdo and low Glaam and it's not very encouraging for us.  Hopefully, OCt snowcover or something will help push us to a neg ao though I don't think I'd count on it. 

Don Sutherland did a nice post on our enso odds based strictly on stats and on the statistical models.  They seem to be pointing towards a nina or cold neutral enso.  Couple that with a neg pdo and low Glaam and it's not very encouraging for us.  Hopefully, OCt snowcover or something will help push us to a neg ao though I don't think I'd count on it. 

nail in the coffin

Time of death for winter 13/14 12:29 p.m. July 29th :cry: .

LOL.

Lots of panic considering its July. A good winter doesn't have to be likely in order for it to happen. For those in the cities, can you imagine a winter worse than the last two? A complete shutout maybe?

I didn't realize we had forecast tools that were dead on 6 months in advance. Must not be paying attention. Wonder what percentages even the best forecasters would place on below, avg, and above wrt temps and snow for Dec/Jan/Feb 5 to 7 months in advance?

Luckily forecasting the winter is still 90% guesswork and a single fluke that is impossible to predict often makes the entire winter.

it depends what you mean by "make the winter".....

something like 1/25/00, 2/11/06, 1/26/11 are certainly possible...Did those make the winter?  I think you could definitely argue that...I also think getting a fluke to make the winter is more likely in a Nina than a neutral after nina...I think a big winter is pretty much off the table....

LOL.

Lots of panic considering its July. A good winter doesn't have to be likely in order for it to happen. For those in the cities, can you imagine a winter worse than the last two? A complete shutout maybe?

I didn't realize we had forecast tools that were dead on 6 months in advance. Must not be paying attention. Wonder what percentages even the best forecasters would place on below, avg, and above wrt temps and snow for Dec/Jan/Feb 5 to 7 months in advance?

I don't know that I am one of the best...probably not....but

Temps

Below/Average/Above -25/25/50

Snow

Below/Average/Above - 60/25/15

I don't mind it....we are going to set the bar low and so might be pleasantly surprised if we get an 8-12" winter at DCA

HM said we'd be better off with a NINA than neutral, so I guess I'm rooting for a NINA notwithstanding the bad taste in my mouth

I don't mind it....we are going to set the bar low and so might be pleasantly surprised if we get an 8-12" winter at DCA

Even in what should be bad years there is a one in 4 or 5 chance of doing OK so it's not a lock that it ends up really bad as we alwasy could luck out and get a big storm to skew things.  Still I'd prefer a moderate nino with a negative AO. 

That's essentially how a neutral ENSO influences the pattern...it means we usually do not have an active STJ which is a big deal for DCA snowfall. It also slightly reduces the chance at huge PNA ridging.

You can still get big winters in neutral ENSO, but its going against the odds which say big winters in DC are stacked with El Nino years. If you take the zwyts approach and lower the bar to something like a couple solid cold outbreaks and average snowfall...then you can achieve that for sure a lot easier than a big time winter. Years like '67-'68 (sans the fluke November snow), '84-'85, '85-'86, or '05-'06 (maybe a colder version) are probably what to aim for.

You might get lucky and get an '81-'82, '66-'67, '60-'61, '78-'79, '95-'96 type winter but those neutrals (or weak Nina in the case of '95-'96) came after big El Ninos or in a several year period of neutral after El Nino...that's probably not a coincidence.   

I'm thinking that after the model ingests the updated 00Z data from today, things will look a lot better.  :whistle:

MDstorm

yeah, the CFS2 is up and down a few times before the target season actually arrives but the real beauty of it is that it can be used by everyone, no matter their perspective/forecast, if you just wait a few days  :pimp:

Archived