• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
2013-14 MA Winter Disco - 'cause it's never too early.

Bob Chill

I don't think this can do anything but bad for us. Why must the sun wake up now of all times of the year.

http://www.solen.info/solar/index.html

p.s. that is one ugly sun spot staring straight at us

this stuff is way beyond my comfort zone, but the sun overall is still reasonably weak? inactive?..look at the 90 day flux....more active years would be over 200...beyond that, I have no comment...but we aren't in a strong/active sun period overall...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this stuff is way beyond my comfort zone, but the sun overall is still reasonably weak...look at the 90 day flux....stronger years would be over 200...beyond that, I have no comment...but we aren't in a strong sun period overall...

well, the solar peak flux for this cycle was 153 in 11/2011 but this month is on a pace for 157.9 per the info at the bottom of the page (if I'm reading it correctly)

not that I claim to understand it, but it just pisses me off that the d@mn sun decides to wake up now....and there's nobody to sue!    :yikes:

well, the solar peak flux for this cycle was 153 in 11/2011 but this month is on a pace for 157.9 per the info at the bottom of the page (if I'm reading it correctly)

not that I claim to understand it, but it just pisses me off that the d@mn sun decides to wake up now....and there's nobody to sue!    :yikes:

Lex Luthor found a way to turn the sun red, maybe there's a way to sap it's strength.

Jamie, do you recall how you did in the 2/23 event?   York may have been in the bullseye

I was in college in Pittsburgh so I got nothing but I remember York got like 10-12, because I remember my brother telling me about it and it bummed me out. I think closer to Philly was the bullseye, like Lancaster County. 

I was in college in Pittsburgh so I got nothing but I remember York got like 10-12, because I remember my brother telling me about it and it bummed me out. I think closer to Philly was the bullseye, like Lancaster County. 

yes..I think you're right...Some areas got 18"+ I believe

You are correct, I was 13 at the time and was surprised how deep it was, Sorry to jump in on the thread, I'm from Lancaster, Pa. :)

I had the good fortune to be able to attend a presentation given by a meteorologist from Mount Holly a week or so ago. It was given during the annual Ice Operations Planning Meeting sponsored by the USCG and held at the MEBA Engineering School in Easton, where I work. The presentation was focused on the upcoming winter, given by a meteorologist ( his name escapes me) who is fairly new to the office, but the content was put together by Tony Gigi, one of the long range forecast gurus at Mount Holly and a regular contributor in the Philly subforum. Long story short, he went through all the usual stuff- ENSO, AO, NAO etc. presented on a fairly remedial level given the audience. One thing I found interesting (and seemed counter-intuitive), is that in winters with ENSO neutral conditions, the frequency of significant snow events(>6 inches) in Philadelphia is actually higher with ENSO neutral-negative conditions as compared to ENSO neutral-positive conditions. The prevailing states of the other indices and their possible influences during these winters were not given, but interesting nonetheless. Just wondering if anyone here has looked into those "La Nada" winters that were overall slightly negative(more Nina-ish), or had significant periods of neutral-negative, and if this significant snowfall correlation is similar for Baltimore and DC. Considering the forecast for the balance of this winter is for ENSO neutral conditions to persist, for the snow lovers in the MA I-95 region, should they really be hoping for slightly positve (Nino-ish) conditions, without it being an actual Nino?

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...  Just sayin'...  Probably jinxing myself, though...

How's this for a grasping at straws solution: Significantly below normal temp, normal precip (but in the form of multiple 3" snows that stick around for weeks because of temps), with an unusual warm period in early to mid Jan.

You heard it here first, folks!

• 5 weeks later...

Bump again.  Because.

How's this for a grasping at straws solution: Significantly below normal temp, normal precip (but in the form of multiple 3" snows that stick around for weeks because of temps), with an unusual warm period in early to mid Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

:whistle:

Archived