• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 'oh, who cares' 1st half of May boring ass pattern banter thread

Typhoon Tip

The mods here (all of them) troll just as much as anyone else does. They never used to. They used to offer thoughtful insight, not troll and make fun . It's a big reason why he left

Once our thoughtful insight started getting insulted with 10 day maps of the GFS and other garbage analysis, it became less worth the trouble.

I still try to post my thoughts when solid snow events are on the table and when any other interesting weather arises, but talking general weather now usually just gets my comments (and others) spun into something that it is not. We can't even tell people that the Euro ensembles show a cold pattern 15 days out these days without someone spinning it into "Will is forecasting a huge cold outbreak".

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once our thoughtful insight started getting insulted with 10 day maps of the GFS and other garbage analysis, it became less worth the trouble.

I still try to post my thoughts when solid snow events are on the table and when any other interesting weather arises, but talking general weather now usually just gets my comments (and others) spun into something that it is not. We can't even tell people that the Euro ensembles show a cold pattern 15 days out these days without someone spinning it into "Will is forecasting a huge cold outbreak".

Should the mods troll or should the mods be above that to set an example?

It's funny how we've had so many wet months over the years, yet Joe is piggybacking Kevin about 2 dry months. He likes to say NBD when we get a below normal temp month in a sea of warmth so it would only be prudent to call a couple of dry months in a sea of wet as NBD. The trolling and weenieism in this forum are getting a little excessive. It's difficult to talk science because of a select few lately.

This is why Phil left. You hit the nail on the head. Sucks to see a good met leave

This is why Phil left. You hit the nail on the head. Sucks to see a good met leave

This was JUST discussed earlier a page back.  In case you missed it, here's a summary for you.

Thanks.

This is exactly why Phil left. He got tired of mods and some admin constantly trolling and trying to look down on posters and discourage discussions.

No he probably left because the forum has (esp in the down times) turned into nothing but a bunch of people spiking footballs, saying AWT before forecasts verify, and the lack of science in a lot of posts. Its fine for a banter thread, but it had been getting into all threads and it needs to stop. Even in banter threads, it can become a bit overwhelming and really old

The mods here (all of them) troll just as much as anyone else does. They never used to. They used to offer thoughtful insight, not troll and make fun . It's a big reason why he left

Should the mods troll or should the mods be above that to set an example?

The mods should be able to have a little fun. Why so drammatic?

44F here...

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCTTOLLA4

I use that site for Kevin since he doesn't have his data online.

Even that station was down to 43.5F.

The one closest to where I live is this one in Tolland:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=06238&sp=KCTTOLLA6

I don't know -- regional temps are virtually identical to last night at the same time, most sites, within a degree or two.  Not a significant difference.    

Phil probably left really because we all do, and will, at some point or another.  Just life.   If he left in a huff it's probably his own bag of issues, but I suspect he's just wondering what the use is.   I've had my own miss-givings, but I won't leave in a huff ;)    I'm not likely to make any more elaborate posts about middle and extended range events like in the old days of Eastern, or earlier days here.  It's just not the same anymore -- frankly, there's no recognition, and there's a bit of a cultural bias to undermine peoples worth by cleverly diminishing people's accomplishments.  It's really much more prevalent out in the main forum then on our local family; there are some Mets out there that have been elected Moderation, that really have no business being moderators -- to remain nameless.   There is a kind of "Lord Of The Flies" mentality around out there, particularly with the tropical folk.   wow.  

But we stick to it because we want to be part of a community that appreciates weather.   I don't say "Meteorology", because it really isn't about the science, but about the experience -- for us it happens to be a snow obsession; so bad that even when snow has no chance, there is spinning analysis toward colder nonetheless -- weird.  Anyway, I love snow too, and when it is winter, or the pattern argues veraciously for those sensible types, I'm big time into it.  But objectively I bale on a dime when the pattern is out.  At those point, I look back in and "read between the lines" of a lot of posting and it's really a bore.  Come on!  Think -- is there any use in defining warm and cool folk when the month of April is aging?  Logically, none.       

People complain about trolling from moderators, but then they post spin-content that is based in want  more than objectivity.   What's the difference.  It's trolling either way.  

In the end, it's really all about socializing ... loosely, around a common ancestor, weather.   It's about hanging out at a party, but on the Internet, not having the advantage of seeing one's speech patterns, or their body language necessary to fill the gaps -- then struggling not to be reactionary as a filler.  If it was just about observation and pure and true theoretical discussion, some 95% of the posters wouldn't be around.   Maybe Phil is more interested in the former.  

I don't know -- regional temps are virtually identical to last night at the same time, most sites, within a degree or two. Not a significant difference.

Phil probably left really because we all do, and will, at some point or another. Just life. If he left in a huff it's probably his own bag of issues, but I suspect he's just wondering what the use is. I've had my own miss-givings, but I won't leave in a huff ;) I'm not likely to make any more elaborate posts about middle and extended range events like in the old days of Eastern, or earlier days here. It's just not the same anymore -- frankly, there's no recognition, and there's a bit of a cultural bias to undermine peoples worth by cleverly diminishing people's accomplishments. It's really much more prevalent out in the main forum then on our local family; there are some Mets out there that have been elected Moderation, that really have no business being moderators -- to remain nameless. There is a kind of "Lord Of The Flies" mentality around out there, particularly with the tropical folk. wow.

But we stick to it because we want to be part of a community that appreciates weather. I don't say "Meteorology", because it really isn't about the science, but about the experience -- for us it happens to be a snow obsession; so bad that even when snow has no chance, there is spinning analysis toward colder nonetheless -- weird. Anyway, I love snow too, and when it is winter, or the pattern argues veraciously for those sensible types, I'm big time into it. But objectively I bale on a dime when the pattern is out. At those point, I look back in and "read between the lines" of a lot of posting and it's really a bore. Come on! Think -- is there any use in defining warm and cool folk when the month of April is aging? Logically, none.

People complain about trolling from moderators, but then they post spin-content that is based in want more than objectivity. What's the difference. It's trolling either way.

In the end, it's really all about socializing ... loosely, around a common ancestor, weather. It's about hanging out at a party, but on the Internet, not having the advantage of seeing one's speech patterns, or their body language necessary to fill the gaps -- then struggling not to be reactionary as a filler. If it was just about observation and pure and true theoretical discussion, some 95% of the posters wouldn't be around. Maybe Phil is more interested in the former.

perhaps your best post ever, concur violently

I love how when one opens in a neighborhood the other usually follows within a year.

As a kid growing up in Cambridge in the 70's every neighborhood had it's own apothecary. Some even had soda fountains!

The drug store in Shelburne Falls still has a soda fountain--might be 1958 when you walk in there.

And in some neighborhoods, vehicles must be parked in your garage...leaving a truck in the driveway is an absolute no no.

Are you serious?  I don't even have a garage.

My observations on the dryness without any of the hyperbole running rampant from both sides in this thread  (why the hell is there an argument???) is that it's dry.  A simple look at rainfall totals will tell you that.  The dry forecast for at least the next 7-10 days will tell you that.

BUT........unless this continues into the fall, it really doesn't have an impact on the lives of most.  Certainly for those on public water systems, there seems to be no concern at all.  For those of us on wells, I guess "who knows" is the question there.  The water situation a couple hundred feet below the surface is just a bit less mercurial than whether one's grass is green or brown. 

With respect to the cosmetic issues, since we're not getting heat yet, the lawns can still remain fairly green in spite of the dryness.  That'll change eventually, but so far we're good.  Getting seed to take will be a little more problematic (I'm struggling with that).  Watching the kids in the infield at my daughter's softball practice was like watching Pigpen from Peanuts--clouds of dust kicking up to their knees with every step.   

For now, we have some beautiful days--enjoy them.  You know they won't last forever, and payback's a b**ch.

45.3/41

That station is right up the street from me, and I find it to usually be quite accurate. 

Yeah, it must be well sited in a good shelter.  I need a better shelter for the couple that I have online.

37° a little earlier but pushing 40 now so a little warmer than yesterday morning.

I don't know -- regional temps are virtually identical to last night at the same time, most sites, within a degree or two.  Not a significant difference.    

Phil probably left really because we all do, and will, at some point or another.  Just life.   If he left in a huff it's probably his own bag of issues, but I suspect he's just wondering what the use is.   I've had my own miss-givings, but I won't leave in a huff ;)    I'm not likely to make any more elaborate posts about middle and extended range events like in the old days of Eastern, or earlier days here.  It's just not the same anymore -- frankly, there's no recognition, and there's a bit of a cultural bias to undermine peoples worth by cleverly diminishing people's accomplishments.  It's really much more prevalent out in the main forum then on our local family; there are some Mets out there that have been elected Moderation, that really have no business being moderators -- to remain nameless.   There is a kind of "Lord Of The Flies" mentality around out there, particularly with the tropical folk.   wow.  

But we stick to it because we want to be part of a community that appreciates weather.   I don't say "Meteorology", because it really isn't about the science, but about the experience -- for us it happens to be a snow obsession; so bad that even when snow has no chance, there is spinning analysis toward colder nonetheless -- weird.  Anyway, I love snow too, and when it is winter, or the pattern argues veraciously for those sensible types, I'm big time into it.  But objectively I bale on a dime when the pattern is out.  At those point, I look back in and "read between the lines" of a lot of posting and it's really a bore.  Come on!  Think -- is there any use in defining warm and cool folk when the month of April is aging?  Logically, none.       

People complain about trolling from moderators, but then they post spin-content that is based in want  more than objectivity.   What's the difference.  It's trolling either way.  

In the end, it's really all about socializing ... loosely, around a common ancestor, weather.   It's about hanging out at a party, but on the Internet, not having the advantage of seeing one's speech patterns, or their body language necessary to fill the gaps -- then struggling not to be reactionary as a filler.  If it was just about observation and pure and true theoretical discussion, some 95% of the posters wouldn't be around.   Maybe Phil is more interested in the former.  

concur, esp wrt the bolded

Archived