joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 'oh, who cares' 1st half of May boring ass pattern banter thread

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who is just absolutely loving the lack of rain/ I mean its great.We eventually will have a run of misty showery days, all the whining about lawns and gardens, geez install an outside hose bib. Well I could see a Landscaper bitching because instead of mowing every week its now every other week. Water tables are high, talk to me in June if this keeps up otherwise these are spring COC days

The last thing I want is a drought. Dragging sprinklers around in April and May blows dongs. Given the global pattern moving into warm season now is not good and its becoming damaging and dangerous by the day. We're simply discussing the implications

Dangerous and damaging , start dragging the sprinkler around, day after day after day. Your life will be consumed by even water patterns.http://urbanext.illinois.edu/lawntalk/weeds/managing_lawns_during_drought.cfm

Once cool-season turfgrasses have gone dormant (stopped active growth, turned off-color) it's best to leave them in that condition rather than watering heavily to cause the grass to green-up again. Breaking dormancy actually drains reserves within the plant, and if conditions remain dry and the weather is hot, the plant is not likely to replace those reserves. In a 'typical' summer, lawns go dormant and resume active growth when conditions improve. The downside of dormancy is the appearance of the lawn and the risk of problems arising on the inactive lawn, such as weed invasions.

The common question is how much water is enough to keep the turf alive? Applying 1/4 to 1/2 inch every two to four weeks should be enough to maintain moisture in the crown and roots so the turf can survive and resume growing when conditions improve.

Mow lawns higher for the summer. A range of 2.5 to 3 inches would be suggested for most turf stands where Kentucky bluegrass is the primary species. As always, mowing should be on a frequent basis so that no more than one-third of the leaf blade is removed in any one cutting.  Taller turf allows more shading of the soil, conserving what moisture is in the soil.

Tried to mow the yard this morning but it was too wet, wish this mud season BDF's from hell and day after day of sheet drizzle would end.

I close my eyes

Only for a moment and the moment's gone

All my dreams

Pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind

All they are is dust in the wind

Same old song

Just a drop of water in an endless sea

All we do

Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind

All we are is dust in the wind

Am I the only one who is just absolutely loving the lack of rain/ I mean its greait.We eventually will have a run of misty showery days, all the whining about lawns and gardens, geez install an outside hose bib. Well I could see a Landscaper bitching because instead of mowing every week its now every other week. Water tables are high, talk to me in June if this keeps up otherwise these are spring COC days

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the weather. I'm just cranky I have plants to water everyday.

The last thing I want is a drought. Dragging sprinklers around in April and May blows dongs. Given the global pattern moving into warm season now is not good and its becoming damaging and dangerous by the day. We're simply discussing the implications

Dry weather in early May is anything but damaging or dangerous, if this continues into June-July then maybe, but it's way too early to get excited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the weather. I'm just cranky I have plants to water everyday.

Cranky? To me watering the garden is a pleasure like mowing the lawn, solitude. It has been really dry for the start of gardening season. What plants do you have in? I usually plant after the full moon in May

I almost forgot about how dangerous things where here last March-April with the high heat and drought conditions. Thousands of acres of forest and hundred's of homes where lost to the rampaging wildfires in SNE. Luckily we have avoided a repeat of that fatefull time this year.

Am I the only one who is just absolutely loving the lack of rain/ I mean its great.We eventually will have a run of misty showery days, all the whining about lawns and gardens, geez install an outside hose bib. Well I could see a Landscaper bitching because instead of mowing every week its now every other week. Water tables are high, talk to me in June if this keeps up otherwise these are spring COC days

Yeah I am loving this weather. Best time of the year to have dry/sunny weather outside of maybe mid/late September and early October when its great for the foliage to turn.

And dryness this time of the year is not particularly dangerous. Drought in general isn't dangerous in New England. We don't do impressive droughts here...we are much more prone to damaging flood events (and I know you know of all people, lol).

Water tables are fine and everyone gets to take advantage of outdoor activities. If we put up an inch of rain in May, then maybe we can start worrying a bit more going into June, but right now its all just a bunch of extreme hyperbole.

Yeah I am loving this weather. Best time of the year to have dry/sunny weather outside of maybe mid/late September and early October when its great for the foliage to turn.

And dryness this time of the year is not particularly dangerous. Drought in general isn't dangerous in New England. We don't do impressive droughts here...we are much more prone to damaging flood events (and I know you know of all people, lol).

Water tables are fine and everyone gets to take advantage of outdoor activities. If we put up an inch of rain in May, then maybe we can start worrying a bit more going into June, but right now its all just a bunch of extreme hyperbole.

as far as brush fires go, every year has brush fires does not seem any more or less than normal. 

its becoming damaging and dangerous by the day. We're simply discussing the implications

Where are you discussing implications? You haven't once mentioned why it deserves so much hype, just that it does lol. It's been asked several times but again all we hear is the dangerous drought.

What are the implications of a dry April/May aside from superficial suburban lawns not being neon green?

But think of the implications! The likely consequences of this are just horrifying. What is even more horrifying is not having any weather to hype!

Where are you discussing implications? You haven't once mentioned why it deserves so much hype, just that it does lol. It's been asked several times but again all we hear is the dangerous drought.

What are the implications of a dry April/May aside from superficial suburban lawns not being neon green?

The Stepford Wife neighborhoods are concerned, very concerned. Uniformity is required.

If the dryness continues into June/July on fairly extreme levels, then it could affect the corn crop and some others in New England. The water table/reservoirs will probably not get into dire circumstances though until we are parched for over a year...or we literally get almost no rain for the next 60 days.

The lawn and gardeners will be affected.

Archived