Newest Member
    joxey
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No thanks  :)

Mike, do you remember what year it was when we had a winter storm warning on April 2? 

It was in 2003,  Here is the warning from EC at the time.

WINTER STORM WARNING CHANGED TO FREEZING RAIN WARNING FOR:      TORONTO      SOUTHERN WATERLOO-WELLINGTON-DUFFERIN      HALTON-PEEL      SOUTHERN YORK-DURHAM.---------------------------------------------------------------------==DISCUSSION==AN INTENSE BUT SLOW MOVING DISTURBANCE APPROACHING FROM THE AMERICANMIDWEST WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE FREEZING RAIN BETWEEN WESTERN LAKEONTARIO AND LAKE HURON.AS MORE MOISTURE ARRIVES FROM THE SOUTH WIDESPREAD HEAVIER FREEZINGRAIN IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BY THIS EVENING.  IT IS EXPECTED TOPERSIST THROUGH TONIGHT AND FRIDAY GIVEN THE SLOW NATURE OF THEDISTURBANCE.  THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME A SERIOUS ICE STORMWITH ICE ACCRETION OF 15 TO 25 MM.FREEZING RAIN IS LIKELY TO CHANGE TO ICE PELLETS OVER AREAS BETWEENSOUTHERN TIP OF GEORGIAN BAY AND WESTERN LAKE ONTARIO THIS EVENINGAND TONIGHT.FURTHER NORTH..PATCHY SNOW TODAY WILL GIVE WAY TO WIDESPREAD SNOWTONIGHT AND FRIDAY.  ACCUMULATIONS OF 15 TO 20 CENTIMETRES AREEXPECTED IN REGIONS NEIGHBOURING GEORGIAN BAY THROUGH FRIDAY WITHMORE POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY BEFORE THE DISTURBANCE PULLSOFF TO THE EAST.PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST PUBLIC FORECASTS FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

There was also the April 2-3, 2005 storm that was largely a dud here in the city but did drop hefty amounts out in the higher terrain where Hal lives. That being said, I believe Toronto was at least under a WS watch for the 2005 storm.

We only had a couple centimetres which was just enough to cover everything from what I remember. Something like 5-10cm max.. maybe less. Not too sure of that April 2 2003 winter storm, was living in west Kitchener at the time. 

Some of the numbers in this study by Wurman et al are horrifying if a large, violent tornado were to go through the Chicago metro...

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/BAMS-88-1-31

I know there were some questions about the methodology of that study (specifically, the calculation of the fatality rates) but even taking an optimist point of view and cutting some of those estimates by a factor of 10 would lead to very high casualties. To me, when you combine population/population density/high-end tornado climatology for the biggest cities/metro areas, the only one that competes with Chicago IMO is the Dallas-Ft Worth area (lower population there but climatologically more favorable area).

I know there were some questions about the methodology of that study (specifically, the calculation of the fatality rates) but even taking an optimist point of view and cutting some of those estimates by a factor of 10 would lead to very high casualties. To me, when you combine population/population density/high-end tornado climatology for the biggest cities/metro areas, the only one that competes with Chicago IMO is the Dallas-Ft Worth area (lower population there but climatologically more favorable area).

I would throw St Louis into the discussion as well. Not as much population but a decently high density and high end tornado climatology.

Snowfall amounts have definitely increased somewhat, particularly during the last 10 years, for most areas.

I know they have in the last 10 years, but I would wait a couple more decades for a better sample size.

Keep in mind Detroit's seasonal snowafll fell from the mid 40s to the mid 30s after the not-so-snowy 1930s and 1940s.

I would throw St Louis into the discussion as well. Not as much population but a decently high density and high end tornado climatology.

They certainly have a bad tornado history. Per recent population estimates, the St Louis metro area has less than 3 million people, while Chicago metro is over 9 million and Dallas/Ft Worth is around 7 million. City of Chicago alone has almost as many people as the entire St Louis metro area.

Considering St. Louis' tornado history, a violent tornado impacting Busch Stadium is probably as likely as any other stadium in the country (Arlington, the Chicago ballparks, etc.).

I'm trying to remember 1) if there was any sports events during the Lambert tornado. 2) what stadium was it that experienced the baseball sized hail during a game, recently?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm trying to remember 1) if there was any sports events during the Lambert tornado. 2) what stadium was it that experienced the baseball sized hail during a game, recently? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I remember last year when the White Sox were playing the Rangers in Arlington there were some pretty severe storms in the area, maybe even a funnel cloud. 

I'm trying to remember 1) if there was any sports events during the Lambert tornado. 2) what stadium was it that experienced the baseball sized hail during a game, recently? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Busch stadium has been smacked by some severe widns several times in recent years, dont remember a storm with hail though.

The biggest change for me was when i went from dial up 56K to cable...which was sometime around 2003 or 04???   Then there were those days of free internet because no one realized that you should encrypt your wireless signal!  Anyone notice that today you can't find an open router anywhere?  I probably have 10 or more that pop up here and i can't connect to any...except mine!  I don't encrypt...  

I didn't become an internet addict until college, which was 2003.  I think most people encrypt these days not because they are against freeloading neighbors but because they're paranoid.  The latter is the reason I have my router set to encrypt.  Then again, I live in an apartment complex where I don't know all my neighbors.  I am within range of at least 15 different routers at any given time.  It is nice to have an unencrypted neighbor to cover me when my modem or router goes kaput and it takes a few days to replace.  Routers can be a real pain in the butt.  It's funny I've owned hard drives that lasted 8 years but have never been lucky enough to buy a router or modem that's lasted more than two.

Archived